The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 113

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Why don't I hear Louis Stewart's name more often. He is fast, lyrical, and has great tone. I looked around on Youtube and there is some nice videos on him.
    Louis was world-class. But he stayed in Ireland because of his family, that is probably why he is less well-known. He died in 2016. Here’s another great track:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, that Matteo Mancuso kid is magnificent!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Rhames tone is killing me in this... but I can't tell if it's the recording distortion, the room sound, or partly his actual amp tone. It almost sounds like there is an effect going on, maybe an envelope filter of some kind. Anyone have any idea of what he's using, or what is creating that tone? Obviously the playing has something to do with it!
    That is some good stuff.

I vaguely remember hearing about him in the 80's but never got a record or saw him live. I was not aware of his death from AIDS. I wrote an article about musicians who died of infectious illnesses--mainly HIV and hepatitis C--but I was not aware of any jazzers who died from AIDS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Louis was world-class. But he stayed in Ireland because of his family, that is probably why he is less well-known. He died in 2016. Here’s another great track:

I would kill to hear him play that with a quartet. I have really come to appreciate how all the great solos that I revere had killer rhythm sections.

I went on Amazon (USA), by the way, and there are some songs from him and some of the folks he played with. I am going back there, now.

User Info Menu

Being able to negotiate fast changes is nothing special for most name players. In fact, all my contemporary European heroes can do that. MVI, JVR, Bireli Lagrene, Ulf Wakenius, Andreas Oberg ... So no big deal really. It comes with the territory

On the pyrotechnical level, probably nobody matches Bireli though.

DB

User Info Menu

Who's MVI and JVR ?

Wickipedia says there are no *known Jazz Guitar Heros with those initials.

*not really....but who are they ?

User Info Menu

Martijn Van Iterson, Jesse Van Ruller.

User Info Menu

Here’s a nice bit of JVR:

User Info Menu

Flying Dutchmen.

Speaking of which the Dutch school of Gypsy Jazz is almost offensively shreddy :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Flying Dutchmen.

Speaking of which the Dutch school of Gypsy Jazz is almost offensively shreddy :-)
    Yeah. Jimmy and Stochelo Rosenberg. There are a few more by the way. Quite a few.

By the way, not sure if this clip has ever been posted here but in 2005 Wim den Herder recorded an insanely fast Oscar Peterson solo in real time over the original recording. It took him 3 days to get under his fingers. Later, he even did this live on stage.

And he recorded several other Oscar solos later:

DB

User Info Menu

That sounds like me when I record my solos at normal tempo and speed it up 150bpm on Garageband.

Do we have a winner?

That's a hell of an achievement. In three days too.

So what are they putting in the water supply in the Nederlands?

When this thread first came up, I remember thinking of Oscar and also thinking no guitarist has really mastered the type of fast fluid phrasing that was Oscar's stock in trade... Even listening to Joe Pass with Oscar I'm aware that Joe's great mastery of the instrument is uncontested, but that rhythmic fluency has never been adequately captured by a guitar player. I thought Forman came close though.

Anyway, definitely sounds like shred on the guitar. He should do a two pianos gig with Pasquale. Pasquale can be Tatum and he can be Oscar.

User Info Menu

I just got Jesse Van Ruller’s ‘Live at Murphy’s Law’, highly recommended.

User Info Menu

Love Jesse Von Ruller - Time is really good , chops are really good ...I think he missed a note once and they closed all the stores there for an hour back in 2007 lol.

Seriously ...I can see playing Solos as well as these guys in some respects and even being more adventurous but not every solo and not missing a note for a whole set or night ....?

He seems like one of those guys.

He plays quite tight to the beat too ...cool .

Not a shredder, doubt if he cares.

Don't know the other one..
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 03-17-2019 at 05:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Yeah. Jimmy and Stochelo Rosenberg. There are a few more by the way. Quite a few.

By the way, not sure if this clip has ever been posted here but in 2005 Wim den Herder recorded an insanely fast Oscar Peterson solo in real time over the original recording. It took him 3 days to get under his fingers. Later, he even did this live on stage.

DB
    What the heck did I just witness!! My jaw is still on the floor . . . is this guy human?
    WOW

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1

Is he playing with a pick? I thought JP never used a pick...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Is he playing with a pick? I thought JP never used a pick...
    He sometimes used a pick when playing in a group, or when playing solo things at fast tempos.

User Info Menu

Wowwwwww I LOVE this thread! Thanks, all, for posting the cool vids!

SJ

User Info Menu

DB
    That is remarkably fleet fingered and really pushing the envelope for what is humanly capable on the guitar considering it's not just basic scale or arp shredding, there are a few tricky right hand moves going on. However, I gotta say that really fast clean guitar picking seldom sounds as exciting as, say, piano. It's just so difficult to have that authoritative tone where every note sounds under control. If you transcribe piano or sax players on guitar, it never sounds as good as the original instrument. That is why the most compelling "shred" guitarists develop their own idiosyncratic approach to lines that are very "guitaristic" - i.e., you won't hear piano players sounding better than GB or Wes (who has his moments), or Django at what they do...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    That is remarkably fleet fingered and really pushing the envelope for what is humanly capable on the guitar considering it's not just basic scale or arp shredding, there are a few tricky right hand moves going on. However, I gotta say that really fast clean guitar picking seldom sounds as exciting as, say, piano. It's just so difficult to have that authoritative tone where every note sounds under control. If you transcribe piano or sax players on guitar, it never sounds as good as the original instrument. That is why the most compelling "shred" guitarists develop their own idiosyncratic approach to lines that are very "guitaristic" - i.e., you won't hear piano players sounding better than GB or Wes (who has his moments), or Django at what they do...
    I would agree with every word.

Ultimately I think guitar has got to be guitar. But that’s not way we can’t take stuff that happens to work. Travis picking was inspired by stride for instance.... couldn’t think of a more guitaristic thing though!

User Info Menu

OMG *love* MVIs playing, although I don't think of him as a shredder. (He may very well be, guess I should go back and listen for that.) I just love his musical, melodic ideas, his phrasing, and his tone.

The Whole Bunch is one of my favorite recordings by any jazz guitarist, ever...

- MVI & Peter Bernstein

Great quote (and another vid) from MVI's blog "I dream of the ultimate guitar solo because as far as I’m concerned it hasn’t happened yet."

Sure wish he would tour the US sometime! A bit concerning is the fact that his site's Gigs page says "No shows booked at the moment." Hope it is just a vacation...

SJ

User Info Menu

DB
    Three days? I'm sure I couldn't do that in three YEARS. That's just scary fast. And very clean. Time to hit the woodshed!!!

SJ

User Info Menu

Just HAD to look around for some more Wim den Herder :-) and found this really enjoyable rendition of Spain with he and Joschco Stephan:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    There's 'Just Friends' with Oscar Peterson on YouTube.
    And indeed Joe plays with a pick here :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    And indeed Joe plays with a pick here :-)

Yeah that's the video I had in mind when I referenced them earlier.

Listen to how foursquare and on the beat Joe's phrasing is here compared to the variety in Oscar's phrasing.

Joe is obviously mega, and one the greatest bop players and but rather I kind of running up against a limit of instrument and pick technique...

Russell Malone's Jingles solo has the same quality, despite his different right hand technique. I think it's a product of both 'chunking' units of four note and amalgamated time, putting a fast 4/4 into 2/4 or even 1/4 and synchronising picking with a downstroke on the beat. Most of do this (even gypsy pickers like Joe.) It's a technical consideration that forces the music into a certain rhythmic, pre-bop, box.

I do it myself.

In other words, getting our two hands to work together creates a certain time feel at fast tempos.

Pianists don't have to worry about the stuff.

OTOH you have Charlie Parker and Bud (and Navarro is no slouch either):

You might be able to get out of this if you use up/down economy picking with some legato, but then there's real issues with locking in the time the way that Joe, say, can. Few, if any, economy players have IMO as good a swing feel as Joe Pass, Charlie Christian, George Benson etc. That type of playing can sound a bit boneless.

Bit of a sticky wicket, old boy.