The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 113

User Info Menu

Been listening this week to Mansur Brown, a young player here in London.

Here he is channelling some Pete Cosey vibes with drummer Yussef Dayes, keyboardist Alfa Mist and bassist Rocco Palladino (yes, Pino's son is also a monster bassist). Mansur lets rip at 4:45.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Louis Stewart:

User Info Menu

This gets a move on. Martijn Van Iterson on guitar. The tune is Jimmy Raney's 'Parker 51' (Cherokee changes).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Been listening this week to Mansur Brown, a young player here in London.

Here he is channelling some Pete Cosey vibes with drummer Yussef Dayes, keyboardist Alfa Mist and bassist Rocco Palladino (yes, Pino's son is also a monster bassist). Mansur lets rip at 4:45.

Yeah man, dug that a lot. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Like Jiim Hall said...."guys are playing like it's a track meet" ......

It isn't a race....if you you hear some fast shit....play it....etc etc

I've also heard an old jazz saying something to the effect that "jazz is a young person's music that is better played by older people"

....Bells?....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    And since spreading the gospel of Arthur Rhames is part of my schtick, here's a recording that should do the trick (wait for it):

I've never heard this guy before, but suddenly I'm a fan!!! What else can anyone tell me about him?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Louis Stewart:

Hey thanks, that was great!

Like John McLaughlin he could play fast in an extended fashion. His fast brain enabled his fast fingers.

There are/were others who play/played fast, but only for spurts - or worse - like a parlor trick. But this guy "took a breath" only when he wanted to and it was based on expression, not a limited capability.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I've never heard this guy before, but suddenly I'm a fan!!! What else can anyone tell me about him?
    Born and grew up in NYC. I understand he practiced incessantly. He played the hell out of sax and guitar. He passed away at a relatively young age from complications related to Acquired Immune Deficiency. Small amount of recorded material.

AKA

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Born and grew up in NYC. I understand he practiced incessantly. He played the hell out of sax and guitar. He passed away at a relatively young age from complications related to Acquired Immune Deficiency. Small amount of recorded material.

AKA
    That's outrageous! Look, I know there are a lot of unheralded great players, but c'mon, if you cant tell within a few bars that this guy is up there with the very, very best in his genre/sub genre, then what can I say...

And to think there are no decent recordings! Just unbelievable....

User Info Menu

AKA
    He played piano, too. I went to high school with a guy who played bass with Rhames briefly in the early 80s. This guy was also a virtuoso on multiple instruments. They put on quite a show.

John

User Info Menu

Well this is an oldie but a goody--John and Buckie--Honeysuckle Rose:

And McLaughlin playing Cherokee--the look on his face, like guys, I ain't even trying that hard, please keep up...

Also for a more modern shredder, Ben Monder is pretty incredible. Check out Hydra--can't find a link online, but one of my faves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DS71
    Benson can melt faces and still groove like no other.
    I don't even think anyone else is even close at combining these two to great effect , at least on Guitar .

And GB is really tasty with his notes especially on ballads

User Info Menu

Stern is always great, but that guy comping behind him is blowing my mind!

User Info Menu

AKA
    Any recordings where he actually plays to changes as opposed to vamps? I dig his muscular tone and approach and he side slips as well as I've heard, but before you'd say he could play with a McCoy or Brecker etc, I'd like to hear if he could do the more straight ahead thing...

User Info Menu

"Shredding" born out of sheer groove - don't miss the chuckle at the beginning. You (try to) play whatever fits, isn't that what it's all about?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Any recordings where he actually plays to changes as opposed to vamps? I dig his muscular tone and approach and he side slips as well as I've heard, but before you'd say he could play with a McCoy or Brecker etc, I'd like to hear if he could do the more straight ahead thing...
    There's not a lot of him recorded, but there's some stuff on youtube of him playing changes, such as this.

As I said above, I knew a bassist who played with Rhames, saw some of their performances (IIRC, Rhames played only keys and sax), and also heard this bassist friend talk about Rhames's abilities. They were doing really out/free stuff so I couldn't say what they sounded like on standards, but those guys could play anything.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    There's not a lot of him recorded, but there's some stuff on youtube of him playing changes, such as this.

As I said above, I knew a bassist who played with Rhames, saw some of their performances (IIRC, Rhames played only keys and sax), and also heard this bassist friend talk about Rhames's abilities. They were doing really out/free stuff so I couldn't say what they sounded like on standards, but those guys could play anything.

John
    Cheers, but I was looking for his guitar playing on changes, this clip is him on sax presumably, and theres not a lot of observance of any changes going on, either!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    "Shredding" born out of sheer groove - don't miss the chuckle at the beginning. You (try to) play whatever fits, isn't that what it's all about?

Wow, that's great.

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but that looks like an insanely high action. Seems it would be hard to play so fast set up like that, but I guess that's where the practice part comes in... :-/

User Info Menu

Half note = 165

User Info Menu

Matteo Mancuso

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    Matteo Mancuso

That is impressive right hand technique! I can't say I've ever heard Jazz guitar played that way quite as well before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    And since spreading the gospel of Arthur Rhames is part of my schtick, here's a recording that should do the trick (wait for it):

Rhames tone is killing me in this... but I can't tell if it's the recording distortion, the room sound, or partly his actual amp tone. It almost sounds like there is an effect going on, maybe an envelope filter of some kind. Anyone have any idea of what he's using, or what is creating that tone? Obviously the playing has something to do with it!

User Info Menu

Why don't I hear Louis Stewart's name more often. He is fast, lyrical, and has great tone. I looked around on Youtube and there is some nice videos on him.