The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I would tend to think that flying with an aeroplane would be vastly superior to flying with a guitar, but if you must, I suppose the best strategy would be to use a gig bag to free your arms, and attach a string to a drone that you can hold on to while you go for your joyride on your six-string flying machine.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Alright, it seems fitting to conclude this thread with the final solution:

I will fly with my thinline Tele in the SKB-case, but it won't have to go in the cargo haul since we are left with a spare seat (somebody cancelled last minute). Since the seat is only €35 (for the round trip, seems we made a good group-deal) I offered to pay this and use the seat for my guitar ;-)

So in the end I can even use a gigback, but the SKB-case seems safer in the tour-bus and back stage and all.

In the thrift-shop I found an old Samsonite briefcase for only €3 (!) that perfectly houses the small pedalboard I use in the big band, so that is taken care of as well ;-)

User Info Menu

I flew with a guitar twice.

Invested in a good CaseXtreme flight case. Checked baggage. First time no problem with flying, had a hard time getting the case in a rental car.

Second time luggage was "lost", arrived a day later. No damage.

The case had foam pieces that fit around the hard guitar case and provided a snug and secure fit inside the flight case.
    There was a large picture on the inside cover of the flight case of how to place the foam pieces.
    TSA inspected the case, put the guitar back in a tossed the foam pieces in, negating their purpose.

No matter how you do it once your guitar is out of your control it is a crap shoot.
    Last edited by BBGuitar; 05-24-2019 at 03:00 PM.

User Info Menu

That’s why I am very happy I have a seat for the guitar now, BBguitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Backline will be provided, but we have to bring our own instruments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Alright, it seems fitting to conclude this thread with the final solution: I will fly with my thinline Tele in the SKB-case, but it won't have to go in the cargo haul since we are left with a spare seat . . . In the thrift-shop I found an old Samsonite briefcase for only €3 (!) that perfectly houses the small pedalboard I use in the big band, so that is taken care of as well ;-)
    Jay --

There's hope for a happy ending!

But that "backline provided in Lithuania" has me thinking that you would be smart to put a micro-amp on your pedalboard. Mine sits in my gig-bag along with a female-to-female 1/4" adapter that lets me plug into a combo speaker. It's the ultimate gig-finisher, and I've only had to use it once or twice . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images Flying with a guitar: what’s the best strategy?-lr2t6n98x6khtylakckw-jpg 

User Info Menu

Yeah Sam, I’ll take my Joyo American pedal, not an amp of course, but a decent preamp that also does a good job making crappy SS-amps sound acceptable. But Lithuania is a pretty modern country and it is a big band festival where multiple big bands perform, I am actually not too worried about that.

But a good suggestion for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Jay --

There's hope for a happy ending!

But that "backline provided in Lithuania" has me thinking that you would be smart to put a micro-amp on your pedalboard. Mine sits in my gig-bag along with a female-to-female 1/4" adapter that lets me plug into a combo speaker. It's the ultimate gig-finisher, and I've only had to use it once or twice . . .
    The festival is organized very professionally, the organization sent us all the information, there will be a Fender Blues Deville amp on stage. For the soul repertoire with my Tele it will do!

User Info Menu

Taking the thinline tele on the plane went without problems. I was even allowed priority bording ;-)

Kate888 Guest
    Good thread! There is much useful info here. Thanks for sharing, guys! I'm going to visit my relatives who live abroad soon, and I want to take my guitar with me. As it will be the first time I'll be flying with it, I need some tips. Having surfed the Internet, I found a collection of helpful travel sites that can provide you with the answers on many questions about traveling by air. Maybe this source will be useful for someone.