The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I happened to take a close look at my middle finger on my fret hand (left). I noticed that the middle knuckle (and now that I really look, also on the ring finger middle knuckle), there is a noticeably raised area. Its not a cyst but is more like a little mass. The knuckles on my other hand are all flat.

Have you noticed changes in your hands that are probably due to playing the guitar?

This tells me there may be trouble ahead and I will try and warm up and lighten the "deathgrip" on chords that I sometimes make.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Worth seeing a doctor. Could just be the skin over the knuckle is getting thicker with age. Could be Bouchard nodes which are related to arthritis. Could be a wart.

User Info Menu

keith richards

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Have you noticed changes in your hands that are probably due to playing the guitar?
    No. Cunamara's right. Get to a doctor. If he or she says not to worry, fine. Else, better to address it sooner rather than later, if you can do anything at all about it. Good luck!

User Info Menu

If it's OA then it may be bone spurs caused by friction when the cartilage thins. Maybe.

Do go see a Rheumatologist!

User Info Menu

Oh no. I am on my way to having Keith Richard hands! Next doctor visit, I will tell him about it. Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi I am 64 and have had the same issue for about 10 years. I to think it is probably a bit of arthritis so well worth a trip to the doc to see what they can do. Mine doesn't cause me any issues with playing other that it takes a couple of tunes for the fingers to loosen up and getting old tends to do that to us anyway. God willing you will be playing for many years to come so enjoy it. I had RSI and couldn't make a c chord for years so sold my Martin D28 after years of her sitting idle. Had a change of job and the rsi went away. Soon as I found out I went straight down to the rock shop and blew 4.5k on a Gibson Les Paul. Now have 10 guitars and they can prise them from my dead hands when I drop dead. Guess I'm saying don't give in and a simple fix might be something like phisiotherapy now and then to help keep things supple and moving.

All the best and keep right on rocking
    Cheers Glenn

User Info Menu

Playing guitar certainly has it effects on your hands, for sure. Almost every guitarist that has put in the years has fingers that are longer on their left (fretting) hand. True story. If it's not your situation, you haven't gotten in enough time on the instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Playing guitar certainly has it effects on your hands, for sure. Almost every guitarist that has put in the years has fingers that are longer on their left (fretting) hand. True story. If it's not your situation, you haven't gotten in enough time on the instrument.
    I've been playing guitar and getting paid for it since I was 10 years old.

I also had my own guitar shop for 30 years and played and taught guitar for a living during that time.

Each of my left hand fingers is a half inch longer than its' matching right hand finger so I guess I've gotten in enough time on my various guitars!

User Info Menu

Bang it with a Bible!

I'm not serious

One has to explain these things...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Bang it with a Bible!

I'm not serious

One has to explain these things...
    don't be ridiculous.

splash holy water on it.

in all seriousness, sorry to hear about it. I will say I doubt it's from playing guitar. Good thing to catch early, though I'm not sure what it is or treatment options. Best of luck.

User Info Menu

Wow, crazy info - especially about the fingers on the fretting hand being longer than on the other!

When I visit the doc next month, I will try to remember to check back and relay his prognosis.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be scared.

It could be finger ganglion zysts, also called finger joint ganglions. In contrast to larger joints with more surrounding tissue, like the wrist, the swelling on finger joints feels less elastic, more hardened. Cause can be the increased intraarticular pressure, which, in turn, is a reaction of affected articular cartilage (osteoarthritis) that, again, can also change the bone structure in the long term (like the emerging of osseous masses, osteophytes, which on the small fingers joints can be easily visible 'deformations').

It's a completely natural process following aging, though, of course, the level is individually different, but most people affected don't really suffer. Well, IME, people too busy with anti-aging fight suffer more - it's a mental thing.
    Larger accompanying inflammatory symptoms should be treated, but, generally, there is no reason for a longer reducing or even giving up guitar playing. On the contrary, keep your joints moving: up to 80 percent of the articular cartilage is nourished by that intraarticular or synovial fluid, and any joint that isn't sufficiently moved produces significantly less synovial fluid.

Visit the doc. Get the exact diagnosis. If it is nothing really dramatic: enjoy life, enjoy guitar playing, etc., as long as possible!
    What's the meaning of dying at the age of ninety in the body of a twenty-year-old - if that body hasn't lived at all?

User Info Menu

Doctor. For your peace of mind if nothing else.

User Info Menu

Did you do anything different than usual on the guitar? I was practicing too much apojando on the classical for a few months (or rather expecting results way too early), and noticed kind of the same thing, little bumbs between the last joint and the nail area of the middle and index finger forming. Cut back on practicing and they started to go away, only a hint on the middle finger remains. So make sure your technique is optimal, always play as effortlessly as possible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Did you do anything different than usual on the guitar? I was practicing too much apojando on the classical for a few months (or rather expecting results way too early), and noticed kind of the same thing, little bumbs between the last joint and the nail area of the middle and index finger forming. Cut back on practicing and they started to go away, only a hint on the middle finger remains. So make sure your technique is optimal, always play as effortlessly as possible.
    Your story is intriguing in that when you changed your habits, the little "bumps" started going away.

I have a lot more time to play than I used to and in the last year, I have been jumping right into playing without much warm-up. My speed has increased as well as my technique so I am always wanting to "get to it."

I suspect that lack of warm up (along with playing a lot more rhythm and fretting the chords to hard) may be my problem. I am warming up now, and watching my deathgrip on the chords. Thanks for sharing your experience.

User Info Menu

You are welcome!

I have been jumping right into playing without much warm-up
    I never do that. I 've had problems with the neck years back and if i don't warm up it's game over! We are not getting any younger either!

User Info Menu

Whatever it is: fingers crossed that it's not anything serious and you will get it sorted as soon as possible.

User Info Menu

raw blues great- hound dog taylor

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    raw blues great- hound dog taylor

cheers

What the....!