Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who wants an hour or two with Jimi?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had an opportunity to take a few lessons with several masters.

Not one of them told me to drill fundamentals. And, they wouldn't have been wrong to say that.

Instead, they tended to focus in on a weakness and talk to me about that.

The first time I did it, I had a bunch of questions about how to play one of the guitarist's originals. He answered those questions very quickly and then started talking to me about my time.

Another had a few things to say, but the only thing I remember was that I should transcribe a little every day.

One, a pianist who didn't speak english, simply played with my group. I was surprised to find that I got as much or more out of that session as any other. When we played we sounded like ourselves. When he joined in, we sounded much better. Why? My conclusion was that his time was so strong that it wrung all the ambiguity out of the group. That was an important thing to experience.

User Info Menu

I attended a master class with Joe Pass, there was about six of us and Joe. Great player. He mostly played tunes, not much of a teacher though.

If I could have a lesson with anyone, I'd choose a songwriter, perhaps Donald Fagen, or Mark Knopfler, or Dave Matthews. I'd ask for them to help me write a song.

User Info Menu

Beethoven. I SAID I WOULD CHOOSE BEETHOVEN. Just practicing here

User Info Menu

There are people I would love to just sit in a room with and absorb what they do up close or maybe try to jam with, but I don't know that that would really be a lesson (though it would no doubt be a learning experience). I'd probably put Wes at the top of that list. But for something more like a real lesson, probably Bill Evans. He had a very well thought-out and structured approach and he spoke about music in a very teacher-like way. I think even a numbskull like me could pick up a lot from him.

John

User Info Menu

Some musicians seem to have arrived at mastering jazz in a unique or organic way, and can't really articulate or talk about what they do in a way that is helpful for others (or, at least, for me). When I've taken lessons with folks like this, I get the most out of just playing with them. I've learned to never underestimate the value of just playing duo with a super high level player.

In terms of guitarists I've taken lessons with, there are 3 players that have been extraordinarily clear about how they got to where they are, in terms of what exercises they've done, how they've practiced, and all that sort of thing. I would recommend a lesson with these folks to anyone:

Rodney Jones: really helped me get my picking together, emphasized fundamentals in a unique and helpful way. undoubtedly a tough teacher, but in the best possible way.

Lage Lund: I took one lesson with Lage and I still don't feel like I've explored everything I could.

Paul Bollenback: an amazing teacher, helped me a lot when dealing with fast tempos, technique, ear training, really everything. similar to Rodney, Paul will tell you if something's not hip or working.

a lot of the most helpful feedback I've gotten from lessons with master players has been just very honest feedback about where I'm falling short.

User Info Menu

A teacher has to be a motivator also so not Mr Pass. I went to a masterclass thingy in the 80s and he was a real turd, as was my then teacher. That combination turned me off learning jazz for decades.

The wish list:

Paul McCartney the master of melody.

Kenny Burrell the blues and jazz master guitarist.

Petros Klampanis. I recently had a lesson with bassist Sam Anning. It was so intense just inferior me and a world class bass player. I learnt so much. Lucky he suggested record the lesson so that I can keep going back to it. Sam is so hard to get a hold of I therefore put Petros at the top of my list, a super nice guy and I think the most melodic bassist going round.

User Info Menu

Ted Greene.

User Info Menu

Scofield

User Info Menu

Yeah, Thelonious Monk would've been a very impressionable set of lessons you think. It'd be interesting to observe the start of his musical approach late 40s when he was a role model to Bud Powell versus the 1960s when he finally became more revered jazz great to the larger public. Count Basie or Nat King Cole, too. I'm not sure that any of these guys took on the average student but the hang would've been cool and might have gleamed some nugget of musical inspiration.

For guitar: Charlie Christian, Django or Oscar Moore.

Ted Greene would be my pick.
    From youtube i would choose either Rick B, Jens Larsen or Tim Lerch.