• Comping

6 22.22%
  • Soloing

10 37.04%
  • Doesn't Make A Difference

11 40.74%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22
    Not that I'm too good at either, but I think comping can be a blast!
    Midnight Blues

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

When playing jazz I don't really mind, but for most electric styles when playing strats, teles etc, I prefer rhythm.

User Info Menu

Probably comping since I suck at soloing. It's like I've got the yips or something.

User Info Menu

I love 'em both. Playing backup, I get to add a little flavor and perhaps push the soloist. Playing lead over a sensitive comper, I get to play rhythm one note at a time and emphasize any melody inherent in the chords -- or outside them, just to bring 'er back home.

User Info Menu

If I'm the only chord instrument, I love comping.

With a great pianist who leaves some space, I love comping.

With an overly busy pianist, I prefer soloing.

User Info Menu

I've learned here that comping and rhythm guitar are two different things, at least for some. I can see that.

I love playing rhythm. I love to be a driving force of a band, any genre. In jazz I'm naturally inclined to fit trad jazz better, because steady rhythm is expected and required.

Otoh in modern jazz comping is sparse playing here and there, more of a counterpoint thing. I can do it, but Im mot very good at that. I feel like everyone is playing their own rhythm and nothing is tight. I get it, that's the point of modern jazz, but I feel a bit out of my elements there. Soloing is more natural for me in that setting.

User Info Menu

good "soloing" can encompass it all....comping, basslines, high hat & bass drum hits..melody. rhythm, harmony

a guitar!! in the right hands, it can do lots

cheers

ps- listen to early jim hall...esp with jimmy giuffre trio...he did it all..as per giuffres request...three engaged musicians doing whatever necessary to make beautiful music...no limitations

Thanks for the responses gang! I must admit, I’m a bit surprised that after the first inning, the score’s tied!

Thanks for the posts
    Midnight Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
    I love 'em both. Playing backup, I get to add a little flavor and perhaps push the soloist. Playing lead over a sensitive comper, I get to play rhythm one note at a time and emphasize any melody inherent in the chords -- or outside them, just to bring 'er back home.
    Hey Thump, is that you?
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

I find comping to be just as creative and enjoyable as soloing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues View Post
    Hey Thump, is that you?
    It is indeed. 'Sup, bud?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
    It is indeed. 'Sup, bud?
    Cool! Thought it might be. Hope you're doin' well!

Felt like discussing Jazz, so I started a couple of Threads on the MLPF... Not much interest at all there, so decided to check-out a Jazz forum and I found this one. So far, so good, I'm lovin' it here! Tons of good info.

Still posting on the MLPF and LPF too though. You?

Good to read from you again and
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

"doesn't make a difference" kind of sounds like I dont care but the truth is I'm passionate about both. I have always appreciated a great rhythm/comping track. I love playing rhythm guitar as much as soloing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye View Post
    "doesn't make a difference" kind of sounds like I dont care but the truth is I'm passionate about both. I have always appreciated a great rhythm/comping track. I love playing rhythm guitar as much as soloing.
    Not at all Michael, “Doesn’t Make a Difference” just means you have fun either way.

Thanks for the post and
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

grant green never comped ... why should i........

User Info Menu

Get's me thinking about what the distinction is between comping and soloing...

It's not chords vs single notes; both comping and soloing use both chords and single notes (Wes and some others kind of sound like they are always self soloing even when comping, and self comping even when soloing).

It's not who follows who; that's mutual (with changing shifts and depths of focus passing between who is comping and soloing).

It's not who is playing more simply or complexly; it can be either way (I comp more simply for a harmonically advanced soloist to give him clash free space, but comp more complexly for a less experienced soloist to make their simple lines sound better).

It's not even who "has the floor" in terms of focus of attention (some of the best stuff that happens during a solo is from those comping).

The practical difference is really the relative level, increased for soloing and reduced for comping by either volume control, or just increased for soloing and reduced for comping by variation in the firmness of playing (my preference).

Or maybe I've omitted something that is the canonical distinction?
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

Quote Originally Posted by voxss View Post
    Midnight Blues

And after 2 innings, DMaD takes the lead.
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

Not being Grant Green, I have studied comping as assiduously as any other aspect of playing guitar in a group. As a result, I work with a lot of singers and horn players. Can't find the downside of that.

Nothing wrong with that rj!

Thanks for the post and

After 7-1/2 innings, DMaD maintains the lead!
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss View Post
    Actually he comped a lot of bass solos, and IMO did it better than most.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye View Post
    Yes. And it's actually a big responsability to play rhythm guitar because a bad rhythm guitarist can wreck a whole big band singlehanded if he/she is not steady as a rock whereas a good rhythm guitarist can be the solid corner stone of a band.

Count Basie to a new trumpet player: "Whatever happens, always follow Freddie Greens guitar."

New trumpet player: "But what if I can't hear him?"

Basie: "Then you play too loud."
    Last edited by oldane; 05-26-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    "But if they all play like me, then who am I?" (Lester Young)