The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Edit: lapsteel, pedal steel, or anykind of those related devices, dont know the exact names, but not "spanish like" guitar with slide.

Hi, if theres any other topic of this sorry and would be glad to read it, but didnt found it.

Name some lapsteel players to listen, if possibly saying what kind of style they make.

Im more interested in players that made some more diverse style, more rock-ish, more risk, but wanting to listen the classics too.

Anything is well recieve and grateful.
    Last edited by man-argentina; 01-27-2019 at 08:53 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not lap steel, but on pedal steel, check out Will Van Horn's recent EP 'Pedal Steel Guitar'. Trio arrangements of songs by Z-ro, Aphex Twin, Bjork, Squarepusher and Mulatu Astatke. I love it. It's on Bandcamp on Spotify. He also turns up on Khruangbin's albums (one of my favourite current bands).

User Info Menu

Will Van Horn covering Britney!

User Info Menu

Jonny Lam is a great lap and pedal steel player in NYC. I found him through his playing with the band Honeyfingers.

User Info Menu

Freddie Roulette blues

Tom Morrell western swing

Cindy Cash Dollar played with Asleep at the Wheel, now with Wayne Hancock (I think)

Mike Neer Steelonious Monk project jazz

Jerry Byrd classic country and Hawaiian

Junion Brown neo-traditional country

Ben Harper blues and roots

David Lindley rock

Sonny Rhodes blues

Greg Leisz frequently plays with Bill Frisell

Great list
    of recommendations at Brad's Page of Steel

The famous Berklee guitar instructor William Leavitt started on lap steel guitar and developed a distinctive tuning optimized for jazz. Mark Ihde has recorded jazz CDs in this tuning. They may be hard to find as Ihde is reportedly in poor health.

Thanks all for reply, and thanks again.

User Info Menu

Kevin Barry’s great on lap steel. He often plays with Duke Levine. Duke usually plays Telecaster, but plays a mean lap steel as well.
    Great solos by both here:

User Info Menu

Greg Leisz is in a league of his own.

I'm liking Chris Scruggs for carrying on traditional honky tonk/western swing.

User Info Menu

Old and departed, if you're looking for that, include Herb Remington, Noel Boggs, and Leon McAuliffe. They set the standard long ago, starting on lap steels and progressing to pedal steel. Remington had a company that sold his own brand of steels. Tommy Morrell played a non-pedal steel, and I really liked his band. He's sadly gone now, also. Cindy Cashdollar still plays lap steel as well as pedal, great player.

User Info Menu

B.J. Cole

User Info Menu

Buddy Emmons.

User Info Menu

Here's a website I started several years ago. You'll find tons of videos & audio links of jazz steel players (including a few of my own).

www.steelguitarjazz.com

Two monster jazz players not yet mentioned are Doug Jernigan and Dave Easley. Also, Susan Alcorn, who frequently performs with Mary Halvorson in a more avant garde context.

User Info Menu

Another Steel Guitar site:
    The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame

Scotty’s Music used to have a shop near St. Louis airport, an old house packed with steel guitars. He passed away in 2015 and the store is now closed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Scotty’s Music used to have a shop near St. Louis airport, an old house packed with steel guitars. I think it’s now closed.
    Indeed it is now closed, since Scotty passed away a few years ago. He was legendary (and my first steel teacher).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Cindy Cashdollar still plays lap steel as well as pedal, great player.
    Cindy's a great non-pedal player. Don't think she plays pedal steel (except perhaps at home, if at all?)

User Info Menu

I thought she used to play pedal with Asleep At The Wheel, but I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I thought she used to play pedal with Asleep At The Wheel, but I could be wrong.
    She played a multi-neck console with no pedals.

Thanks all, im checking the names and websties you been mentioning.

User Info Menu

I know she played with AATW, but I never bothered to look for pedals under her steel. I just assumed, which is dangerous.

User Info Menu

Johnny Lam and Rich Hinman

User Info Menu

I've been playing pedal steel for 40 plus years but I'm hard core trad country. If it gets too far from George Jones, Ray Price and their ilk, I'm outa here. Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green, and Dicky Overbey my heros. Built an 8 string lap a couple years ago but wasn't smart enough to play it - needed pedals!! Recently sold my pedal steel and got out of the business due to no work and my bad back - just couldn't tote it around any more. Thinking of getting a Weissenborn or Dobro, maybe. My least favorite thing is hearing some rocker trying to play blues with a lap steel through some kind of distortion device - ugghh! Favorite lap player is my friend Ivan Reddington (look for him on You Tube) playing Hawaiian tunes - Bobby Ingano is great, too. Maybe I'm too traditional but I like the old stuff best. See if you can find a copy of Emmons' "The Black Album".

User Info Menu

Buddy Emmons & Danny Gatton — Song of India, 1978 live.

User Info Menu

Curley Chalker was a great steel player. Considered a C&W musician but he said that he didn't particularly care for the genre and considered himself a jazz musician. He was dubbed "the king of chords". His style could be quite different than someone like Lloyd Green who is my overall favorite straight C&W player. Chalker played on Paul Simon's The Boxer. You won't hear typical steel playing though. He played in unison with the french horn on the melodic break.

User Info Menu

ok, you asked for it....

User Info Menu

Ok, let's try this...