The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 83

User Info Menu

Last edited by Drumbler; 12-10-2018 at 12:38 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -Hunter S Thompson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -Hunter S Thompson
    Ah the good old days.

User Info Menu

my friend.. one of the greatest musicians I know... says:

- they pay me close to nothing for the unique things that only I can do
    - they pay me average for the thigns that many can do too
    - but best of all they pay for the things that any idiot could do

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    my friend.. one of the greatest musicians I know... says:

- they pay me close to nothing for the unique things that only I can do
    - they pay me average for the thigns that many can do too
    - but best of all they pay for the things that any idiot could do
    Ah, so that's why presidents earn so much!

User Info Menu

You know I am in the office daytime job.. I never tried to make a carreer though I was offered a promotion a few times I tried to avoid going on management level though I understood that probably I can be a good manager... I did not want all the changes in communication in attitude and all that...

But in my last company the enviroment was so good that I accepeted an offer...

In a year or so I understood that I actually work much much less than before but I earn more... other bosses used to tell me: it is because you can take decision and resposibility for the actions of other people... that is what you are aid for more.
    Partly so... it is actually qiote a challenge to be responsible for others people actions as for yours... it is something you have to get used to, the more people you have the more unexpected problems come to you (sometimes you feel yourself real idiot actally when you have to deal with something you would never have done yourself).

But to be honest all I mostly see around on management level - especially in corporations - is just people who are smart enough in connections and communications - mostly no special skills and professional talents needed...
    And at the end it seems that they do not work at ll - just imitate work... and often do not even notice it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay

By the way I think American president works for free now? Or no?
    If so - it's not good... presidency is not a hobby... one should be motivated.

User Info Menu

By the way I think American president works for free now? Or no?
    If so - it's not good... presidency is not a hobby... one should be motivated.
    He did that by choice because he's an independently wealthy billionaire. He wouldn't be too motivated by the usual presidential salary.

User Info Menu

He did that by choice because he's an independently wealthy billionaire. He wouldn't be too motivated by the usual presidential salary.
    I think even non-billinaire presindents are hardly motivated by the salary in their career. Power means more than money for people on such a social level.

But agree.. it would be great if president's wife would have been counting dollars till his next salary day ... and if he loses job the only job he can go to is taxi driver.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Since 2001, US Presidents have a base salary of $400,000 per year. That would be a lot of money for me, but it would be peanuts for a Fortune 500 CEO. Law firm partners can also rake in a lot more than that, as do many bankers. Surgeons. A-list actors, professional athletes, and pop musicians. (At least in those last 4 categories, people are less interchangeable.)

Making it in a field governed by "the fickle finger of fate" is always a longshot. It happens. And sometimes to deserving people. But it's much, much more likely NOT to happen in any individual case.

User Info Menu

What is "making it"?

I say.....

Sometimes, we gotta take a different route in order to get from point A to point B.
    Not all of us might be capable of doing that or would WANT TO do that and I get that.

Curtis Mayfield once said something to the effect of,
    you gotta serve your audience in order to get/earn the right (wherewithal, fill in the blanks) to serve yourself (so to speak).

That being said...

This guy is an inspiration. He resorted to finding "new tools" to add to his arsenal in order to "succeed" past his wildest dreams as a musician. Maybe we'll get to see what he wanted to be as a musician one day. I cannot believe that he grew up wanting to be a Youtube musical star. Youtube is only 13 years old.

He clearly has a jazz infused background - I hear Steely Dan meets Michael Franks

Bill Wurtz - Wikipedia

bill wurtz
    - YouTube

"The salary isn't much but the benefits are excellent." -- George Washington

I've heard this quote in some form attributed to him.

George Washington was considered to be the wealthiest man in the United States in his day.

The expense account of modern U.S. Presidents dwarfs their "salary". The salary is a mere pittance.

User Info Menu

It's 2018, why some old white dude still talking about how to make it big as a GUITAR band? Who cares about bands? It's not just talent that's not important, it's the market that's non existent almost.

Cardi B is Grammy nominated for Album Of The Year, woohoo! We are living in the times when people cheer up the trashiest, most unwitty and unmusical creations, while doubling down on old innocent Christmas classics.

Wanna make it big? Ditch the guitar or any instruments, also any signs of intelligence or wit, and 'drop' a hip hop record, then maybe.

User Info Menu

I didn't watch any of these videos, but....

I think the definition of 'making it' is being redefined everyday.

Unless your a pop, country or rap artist these days, it doesn't matter.

Everyone has access to social media and YT. If at the end of day you can still enjoy music, and make a living from it-you've made it. A lot of the rest of it is an illusion. I toured at a very, very high level for 3 years with guys that 'made it'(was not jazz) and they were the most pathetic, back stabbing people I've met(especially to each other). I made good money and got ripped off equally just the same(money and writing credits).

Most of the Artists we really, really enjoy aren't house hold name anyways.
    Last edited by DS71; 12-10-2018 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

So now we can talk politics?

Quote Originally Posted by DS71
    I didn't watch any of these videos, but....

I think the definition of 'making it' is being redefined everyday.

Unless your a pop, country or rap artist these days, it doesn't matter.

Everyone has access to social media and YT. If at the end of day you can still enjoy music, and make a living from it-you've made it. A lot of the rest of it is an illusion. I toured at a very, very high level for 3 years with guys that 'made it' and they were the most pathetic, back stabbing people I've met(especially to each other). I made good money and got ripped off equally just the same(money and writing credits).

Most of the Artists we really, really enjoy aren't house hold name anyways.
    That's just what the guy in the video said.

User Info Menu

Depends also on personality.

Maybe some of them dont ever want to be "big"...

User Info Menu

you have to have a great PR person and you have to have a realy hard working Manager. Get as much public notice as you can. Gimmicks, Style, Personality. Oh and the ability to take alot of Guff,

User Info Menu

The guy in OP's video isn't telling anyone with any music biz experience anything that hasn't been said a thousand times before. In fact, what he's saying is as cliche as it gets. What our balding Canadian music biz expert didn't mention as an almost mandatory trait to be a star is physical attractiveness. This has always been a factor but it became even more so in the 1980s and beyond. Look at a few examples of major popularity from just that decade: Madonna, Blondie (with Debbie Harry), Van Halen (blonde, muscular David Lee Roth, puppy dog cute Eddie VH), Whitney Houston, Sting, Janet Jackson, Prince, Tina Turner, George Michael, David Bowie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    The guy in OP's video isn't telling anyone with any music biz experience anything that hasn't been said a thousand times before. In fact, what he's saying is as cliche as it gets. What our balding Canadian music biz expert didn't mention as an almost mandatory trait to be a star is physical attractiveness. This has always been a factor but it became even more so in the 1980s and beyond. Look at a few examples of major popularity from just that decade: Madonna, Blondie (with Debbie Harry), Van Halen (blonde, muscular David Lee Roth, puppy dog cute Eddie VH), Whitney Houston, Sting, Janet Jackson, Prince, Tina Turner, George Michael, David Bowie.
    That I agree with, and I think thats how it should be. Not necessarily cute, but you gotta be a character, and look like one. No one ever accused Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler for being handsome, but sure they got it!

Everything that we might think superficial matters- how you talk, how you dress, how you move, how you stand (or seat) on stage. If you dont care, its maybe not the business for you. But its all part of being an artist, even if you're not going for a mega star career.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    So now we can talk politics?
    No.

User Info Menu

Wasn't it Michelle Shocked who sued her label for violating her anti-slavery rights and won, thereby giving her sole ownership of all her masters... way to go!

User Info Menu

No one ever accused Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler for being handsome, but sure they got it!
    They both had it the other way aournd... their physical appearance was used to make an image of some kind perversed sexuality that can be attractive too.

Thouhg showbiz is showbiz.. there were periods when social and ideological things took over finance...
    There were artists who did not care about their bahaviour and how it corresponds the conception of artisitc behaviour from commercial point of view.
    Yes promoters and producers tried to use it anyway...

I am sure that - at least in teh early period - Jagger, Bowie, Morrison, Hendrix - they all of course were artists on stage - but motivation for their artistic behaviour was not commetrcial...
    they mostly did what they thought proper for their art and the producers managed to use it for marketing.

'There is a guy.. Bob Dylan.. he sings his songs... young kids and intellectuals like him.. how can we earn some money on him?'
    Of course they will not dress him up like Elvis - they will try to use what they already have.

Stars like Elvis... or The Beatles in the early career were of course purposefully promoted and had to adjust their apepearances to fit the commercial demands (probably McCartney did not care much, and Lennon obviously did it reluctuntly).

User Info Menu

I don't keep up with rock music, so I may be wrong, but it seems to me that musical talent has been forgotten in the 21st Century. EVH and his contemporaries, people who came to fame in the 1980s, were the last generation to be valued for their chops. Since then, a lot of music has been produced, but none of it particularly proficient. I look in the music magazines and see articles about the same people every month, those who give their names to signature models. None of them strike me as interesting musicians. I may be forgetting somebody, but it is not Joe Bonamassa or Eric Johnson.

User Info Menu

But to be honest all I mostly see around on management level - especially in corporations - is just people who are smart enough in connections and communications - mostly no special skills and professional talents needed...
    This is a typical non-manager attitude, which in my not particularly humble opinion is quite misled.

Building relationships, effective communication, conflict resolution, and decision making are not only real professional talents; they are life talents. And they are not that common either.

I manage a team of engineers. And I spent half my career being one, so I have "walked the walk." Some of the engineers are absolutely terrible at these crucial people skills. They may be great at designing and building things, but nothing would get done if they were left to their own devices. Without leaders, the company would have no long term business strategy, no tactical direction in times of crisis, no efficiency of effort across departments, no cross-functional collaboration, etc. etc.

Of course there are terrible managers, too (often the ones who get promoted, it seems!). But the general sense that a manager is just a more highly paid idiot is bogus.