The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 83

User Info Menu

Hi there,

because I like jazz manouche so much I thought it would be interesting, if you like that music too, what is your favourite song?

Here is mine. Si tu savais, played by Javier Sanches on a Geronimo Mateos Jazz B model.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If it is about Si Tu Savais, I like this version:

I also play manouche, and play in a band, we are practising for a concert now, and we play mostly our fauvorite songs. Mine is now Dinette;

User Info Menu

Call me boring, but I'll never tire of the venerable "Nuages."

And I love a good gypsy "bossa," like "For Sephora."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Nuages is a great song. Funny, that is the next song for guitar I want to learn. This guy did a nice lesson on youtube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    If it is about Si Tu Savais, I like this version:

I also play manouche, and play in a band, we are practising for a concert now, and we play mostly our fauvorite songs. Mine is now Dinette;
    This is an amazing version of Si tu savais. Bireli is brilliant.
    What is the name of your manouche swing band? Are there any videos on youtube showing you playing?

User Info Menu

The old swing 39.

User Info Menu

Songe d'automne (but there are so many others...).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Laro
    Songe d'automne (but there are so many others...).

I didn´t know that song. Sounds realy great. Like Djangos Solo a lot on this song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    The old swing 39.
    This is a classic. Like it a lot.

User Info Menu

anything without violin

User Info Menu

My favorite manouche songs are those who spontaneously come from the heart. Best presented at night-time with loved ones and friends (or future friends) around a living room table.
    Only in such situations can the bittersweet feeling arise that you can be happy in the community - knowing that at the same time that night many others may be feeling 'seul' (alone or even lonely) or full of worries.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fret
    My favorite manouche songs are those who spontaneously come from the heart. Best presented at night-time with loved ones and friends (or future friends) around a living room table.
    Only in such situations can the bittersweet feeling arise that you can be happy in the community - knowing that at the same time that night many others may be feeling 'seul' (alone or even lonely) or full of worries.

Very nice.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Je suis seul(e) ce soir is a bittersweet song. It was a huge success during the German occupation because the many French women whose husbands were prisoners of war are recognized.

Similar to Dexter Gordon and others, the lyrics of a song mean as much to me as the music:

Je suis seule ce soir
    Avec mes rêves,
    Je suis seule ce soir
    Sans ton amour.

Le jour tombe, ma joie s'achève,
    Tout se brise dans mon cœur lourd.
    Je suis seule ce soir
    Avec ma peine
    J'ai perdu l'espoir
    De ton retour,
    Et pourtant je t'aime encor' et pour toujours
    Ne me laisse pas seul sans ton amour.

Je viens de fermer ma fenêtre,
    Le brouillard qui tombe est glacé
    Jusque dans ma chambre il pénètre,
    Notre chambre où meurt le passé.

Dans la cheminée, le vent pleure,
    Les roses s'effeuillent sans bruit,
    L'horloge, en marquant les quarts d'heure,
    D'un son grêle berce l'ennui.

Tout demeure ainsi que tu l'aimes,
    Dans ce coin par toi dédaigné,
    Mais si ton parfum flotte même,
    Ton dernier bouquet s'est fané.

I'm alone tonight

I'm alone with my dreams tonight
    I'm alone without your love tonight
    The day falls, my joy ends
    Everything breaks in my heavy heart.

I'm alone with my sorrow tonight
    I lost hope of your return
    And yet I love you still and forever
    Don't leave me alone without your love.

I just close my window
    The fog that falls is frozen
    It enters into my room
    Our room where the past dies.

I'm alone with my dreams tonight
    I'm alone without your love tonight
    The day falls, my joy ends
    Everything breaks in my heavy heart.

I'm alone with my sorrow tonight
    I lost hope of your return
    And yet I love you
    Still and forever.

User Info Menu

Am I wrong thinking that lots of these vintage songs were classical standards in the repertoir of every dance band in that era between the 30ties and 40ties in Europe. Some played it in a jazz way, others more swinging and there were the jazz manouche bands, too. Probably Paris and Berlin (in the 20ties) were the melting points of that time where European jazz music, influenced by US musicians, was born and raised.

There is this song, called J`attendrai and there are so many versions of it. I like this one.

And there is this Django Version also:

Last edited by Musgo Real; 11-30-2018 at 06:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Despite the latest ban on Romane....

Warning: there is some violin content...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I call you tasteful. Nuages is a beautiful song and one I never tire of hearing or playing.

User Info Menu

what ban on romane? he wrote that phone book that i bought and never looked at

User Info Menu

maybe he should consider a last name talk about cocky

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musgo Real
    Am I wrong thinking that lots of these vintage songs were classical standards in the repertoir of every dance band in that era between the 30ties and 40ties in Europe. Some played it in a jazz way, others more swinging and there were the jazz manouche bands, too. Probably Paris and Berlin (in the 20ties) were the melting points of that time were European jazz music, influenced by US musicians, was born and raised.

There is this song, called J`attendrai and there are so many versions of it. I like this one.

And there is this Django Version also:

Yeah you are right the repertoire Django played had many roots

American jazz standards
    Gypsy songs (dark eyes, two guitars etc)
    Classical Themes (Danse norwegienne, Bach etc)
    Chanson (J’Attendrai)
    Bal Musette (Indifference)
    Original Compositions (Djangology, Hungaria)

That’s why I dislike the term Gypsy jazz when applied to Django. I find it doesn’t quite reflect the context of those times. He was a great musician who happened to be gypsy, using the material all around him. His band mates, colleagues and rivals included gypsys and non gypsys.

So I think listening to Ds contemporaries - Oscar Aleman, Barry Ferret etc, you get the impression that Django was operating within a prevalent style. I don’t think there was any huge difference between Djangos feel and the general rhythm guitar style of that era. Freddie Green played in a similar way in the 30s. 40s Django is a different thing again.

Obv since Djangos era many themes have been composed by more recent players - Swing Gitane, Bossa Dorado - as well as many additions to the repertoire from more recent jazz, chanson and popular music, and it makes sense to talk about Manouche jazz as it has become a folk tradition within that community.
    Last edited by christianm77; 11-30-2018 at 06:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I like Montagne St. Genevieve:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I like Montagne St. Genevieve:

I like this very much (guitarist is amazing ), but don´t get me wrong and I don´t want to offend anybody, but I hear many elements which I also will hear listening to Stephane Wrembel`s Bistro Fada...strange. Which song was composed first?
    Last edited by Musgo Real; 11-30-2018 at 06:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Wikipedia says Wrembel composed Bistro Fada in 2011.

So I think Django got there first!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Wikipedia says Wrembel composed Bistro Fada in 2011.

So I think Django got there first!
    I did not know that this is an original song composed by Reinhardt. It seems that Wrembel made just a more mainstream sounding version of the original composition. Please correct me if I am wrong.

User Info Menu

I don’t know much about it so I just googled it. It turns out Django never recorded it. Apparently he taught it to Matelo Ferret who recorded it about 1960. Matelo didn’t know the name of the tune so he asked Django’s widow, she decided to call it Montagne St. Genevieve after a place Django played in his earlier days.

So either way it definitely pre-dates Wrembel’s tune.

By the way I have seen Remi Harris and he is a wonderful player. That CD of his (Ninick) is really excellent.