The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 108

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DS71
    So would you buy both Garrison Fewell books or skip to one over the other?
    If you're beginning jazz guitar definitely "Melodic Approach" first. "Harmonic Approach" goes a lot deeper into harmonic theory. If you get both work through "MA" first but have a peep into the other as much as you want to. You'll get more out of H.A. when you have worked through the other.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Currently working on the Jerry Bergonzi series, just on the lowly Volume 1 but it's a great book and full of very good advice. There's something to be said for simple material and really having it down, you know? Anyway, if 1235 permutations are hip enough for Coltrane to play a gazillion times then surely I can spend some time on them in addition to transcribing language. I'd heard great things about the Lovano series and I'm glad I finally took the plunge. I'll be continuing with the series.

Learning - like really learning - all the chord shapes from the Alan Kingstone book on Barry Harris' approach has also been very helpful in terms of getting me to see the fretboard more deeply. Also nice to get all those shapes smoothly under my fingers.
    Last edited by coolvinny; 05-13-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: oops I meant Jerry Bergonzi not Joe Lovano

User Info Menu

A very underrated book is Payin' your dues with the Blues by Jay Umble. It covers all aspects of jazz guitar improvisation in the context of jazz blues. Comping, rhythm, bass lines, improvisation, chord solos. He covers both traditional and modern approaches. It looks at different areas of blues changes and goes over various harmonic variations and improvisation approaches for these areas. It's not a thick book because there is a lot of music in it, rather than blah, blah. It's not an introduction to jazz for beginners kind of book. More like an overview of various tools and devices in different areas of jazz guitar applied to blues.
    A lot if music books are half-baked attempts that are aimed at trapping in casual bookstore browsers. I like books written with sincerity and perfectionism. This book classifies as one.

MBGU Jazz Curriculum: Payin' Your Dues with the Blues eBook + Online Audio - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

User Info Menu

Never just from a book, but a combination of book and teacher has helped a few times.

Complete Rhythms by Colin and Bower taught me how to read (after a couple of Mel Bay's).

One of Warren Nunes' books which explained what a tonal center is.

I got a good deal from Nelson Faria's Brazilian Guitar Styles - which is probably the single most useful book I've seen on comping.

User Info Menu

"Approaching the Guitar" by Gene Bertoncini.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    "Approaching the Guitar" by Gene Bertoncini.
    A great book, although very minimalist, few words, just exercises that lead you to look at and play the guitar organically from the ground up.

User Info Menu

There has never been a time when so many guitarists have been able to share the secrets involved in playing jazz guitar! I call them secrets because up until now nobody has shared very much! Now we have Garrison Fewell, Carol Kaye, Robert Conti and others sharing detailed arpeggios and roadmaps on how to improvise! I tried Robert Conti and Garrison Fewell, both are great, but they just weren't for me! The best book I've ever bought on the subject of improvising is Steve Crowells' "Formulas for Jazz Guitar Improvisation"! He shows you everything you would ever want to learn about improvising! The great thing about the book is the 8 Solos! You learn the solos and you're learning how to improvise! The first part of the book goes over the modes, which are the same fingerings that Warren Nunes used, see attached. He breaks down the modes into his 84 equations which is extremely eye opening and helpful as they're simply arpeggios, triads and roadmaps to improvise with! I'm super focused on the Solo's tho'! So what's your favorite instructor or book, and why?
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

The Barry Harris Workshops by Howard Reevs

User Info Menu

Interesting!

User Info Menu

I’ve had scores of books and was a terrible jazz guitar player, but Pat Martino’s “Linear Expressions” provided me with a simple approach I could apply anywhere (and I did, lol). Using his line examples and varying them plus thinking of everything as minor was not perfect, but it covers a LOT of ground. That was a breakthrough for me as compared to learning scales and arps.More recently, Garrison Fewell’s Melodic Book has opened my playing. I’m way behind the study group, but I’m getting a lot out of this book. Between blues, Martino-sequel lines and minor conversion, and now the triads and extensions, I feel like I have a lot under my fingers to work with and I apply it with my organ trio. I used to be terrible, now I’m just mediocre, but I’m moving in the right direction!Those two are tied for best.
    Last edited by GuitarJay; 03-01-2020 at 11:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Les Wise - Jazz Improvisation for Guitar. Invaluable.

User Info Menu

Lets get right to the origins of my playing and many others............Mickey Baker and I still have the book...................wore out but unbeatable for one starting out playing jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Les Wise - Jazz Improvisation for Guitar. Invaluable.
    Is that the one that was originally called "Inner Jazz"? (All about tension / resolution in ii-V-I progressions?)

User Info Menu

Nice to see some familiar books mentioned here.
    Still love the Mickey Baker book. (I can see how some who have a much more modern conception of tunes and improv might not like it but what Mickey means by "hot guitar" is what I've always loved and wanted to play.)

"Linear Expressions" is a book my first jazz teacher got me into. I learned those "5 activities" and still play them.

I have Crowell's "Formulas" too. It got me back into 3nps scale fingerings. (I learned them back in the '80s but stopped using them, well, back in the '80s.) There is a consistency to them that is useful but I'm not sure they'll ever become second-nature to me. Time will tell.

I'm working in the Fewell book now. It is teaching me things I did not know (or did not fully appreciate) and that's good, but I'm too new to it to have seen it seep into my playing. Again, time will tell.

I like Carol Kaye's approach too. I play her ii-V-I exercise often and love many of her "pro's jazz phrases."

User Info Menu

For American jazz, it was a couple of Warren Nunes' slim books. Solo Patterns, I think, is the one which introduced me to concept of tonal centers. That was valuable!

His blues book is another slim volume with some very useful info.

Best book overall, was Nelson Faria's Brazilian Guitar Styles.

User Info Menu

Mickey Baker, once you understand this all the other doors open.

User Info Menu

It was mostly over my head when it first came out and the notation seemed intimidating to a teenager, but over the years, each time I went back the original orange Joe Pass book it it was apparent that Joe and/or Bill Thrasher had put it all there. The secret was to ignore the words and just read the music and hear how the examples connected with the changes. It's a great book that merits revisiting by players at any level.

User Info Menu

Which jazz guitar books took you to the next level?-cc9f4cce-d373-477b-81e9-9bb5305d2a82-jpeg

Creative Chord Substitution for Jazz Guitar: Guitar Book

Really helped my comping early on, and chord melody playing - logically set out with great examples.
    Last edited by bengruven; 03-02-2020 at 04:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Is that the one that was originally called "Inner Jazz"? (All about tension / resolution in ii-V-I progressions?)
    I'm not sure, but I can tell you it's all about the ii-V-Is, no doubt. Systematic and thorough. I got it, along with a Wolf Marshall penned Joe Pass book, the same day Mrs.k made me buy my ES-175. Kind of a Super Fun Pack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bengruven
    Which jazz guitar books took you to the next level?-cc9f4cce-d373-477b-81e9-9bb5305d2a82-jpeg

Creative Chord Substitution for Jazz Guitar: Guitar Book

Really helped my comping early on, and chord melody playing - logically set out with great examples.
    Never heard of that one. I downloaded the sample pages at the link. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I'm not sure, but I can tell you it's all about the ii-V-Is, no doubt. Systematic and thorough. I got it, along with a Wolf Marshall penned Joe Pass book, the same day Mrs.k made me buy my ES-175. Kind of a Super Fun Pack.
    She MADE you buy an ES-175? I'm thinking threat of force would not be needed. ;o)

I do think this Les Wise book is the same one that was published as "Inner Jazz" once upon a time. It is a very good book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    She MADE you buy an ES-175? I'm thinking threat of force would not be needed. ;o)

I do think this Les Wise book is the same one that was published as "Inner Jazz" once upon a time. It is a very good book.
    She spotted it on the wall and made me come see. I pointed out the 5k price tag, made a face, she says "So?" Back and forth. I play the guitar. Ipanema. Desifinado. Summertime. By this time there's a small crowd gathering. A latin player, checking out my fingerings, nodding sagely. A salesman, hovering expectantly. Dead Man Jim, whom I had met a couple of weeks earlier at a "Lead Guitar Competition" (long story), where he let me use his Marshall full stack rather than schlep my 66lb Classic 50 onto the elevated stage (where I astounded all and sundry by dialing in a clean tone), which I thought was nice. I kept insisting we can't and she kept saying we can. I walked out three times. I came back three times. Finally I said, "Just tell me your absolute rock bottom out the door price - I'll need a strap, cable, and strings." LSS, 2.7k exchanged hands, we took it home, Mrs. k bought herself something nice, and we all lived happily ever after.

User Info Menu

God bless Mrs. K! And you too, you lucky dog. ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sundogg52
    Mickey Baker, once you understand this all the other doors open.
    Gotta agree, Mickey Baker books are phenomenal!

User Info Menu

The complete Jazz Guitar by Fred Sokolow.
    It's free with CD (comes extra) on Internet Archive. (Public Domain now...)
    Community Texts.

One link is for the book , the other for the audio. Have fun. Ok ok, it's a tiny bit old...

https://archive.org/details/TheCompleteJazzGuitarFredSokolow

Which jazz guitar books took you to the next level?-fred-jpg

Accompanying Disc : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive