The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 108

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I've been focusing a lot of my practice time on becoming a better improviser lately and I was curious if you guys could recommend me a book specifically about playing over jazz changes and that sort of thing. I've been playing for 5-6 years would consider myself an intermediate player but, only very recently started doing a harmonic analysis of "I Got Rhythm" I've took private lessons for 4 years and can read music pretty well. Any recommendations, thoughts, or advice would be great. Oh! and I play guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello Wig Iggy,

There are many approaches to learning how to improvise over jazz tunes. All of them are valid and have merit. I would like to introduce my approach that is based on using pentatonic scales for any chord, chord progression or song you would ever encounter. This is a "system" and therefore open to much criticism by jazz theorists. However, it will work and will complement your current style and level of development. With this system, it is impossible to play a wrong note. You don't have to worry about "avoid" notes. You can concentrate on the song. Also, it uses a strict two-frets-per-string approach that is very guitar friendly. I have written a book, "Jazz Guitar Soloing Concepts: A Pentatonic Modal Approach to Improvisation". A review of the book appears in the Nov 2009 issue of JUST JAZZ GUITAR. You can also read the review at:

Jazz Guitar Soloing Concepts: A Pentatonic Modal Approach to Improvisation Book Review

It is very important to me that people who buy the book are happy with their purchase. For this reason, I have a lot of FREE resources describing my approach--to make sure it is right for you. For more details on my approach, including book description, Table of Contents, articles and mp3s, please see my website at:

Jazz Guitar Improvisation Using Pentatonic Chord Scales

I also have free YouTube lessons based on the book. Check out the lesson on the Dorian Pentatonic Scale at:

YouTube - Kanaal van rlemos

and the Mixolydian Pentatonic Scale lesson at:

YouTube - Kanaal van rlemos

Hope this helps. Please feel free to email me at: rlemos@calstatela.edu

Thank you very much.

Ron

User Info Menu

"Patterns for Jazz" by Jerry Coker is a GREAT book. In fact it's like a bible for me. It has opened up countless possibilities, patterns and led me to create my own. It's not guitar-specific, but it's written in C. There is a free version online I can send you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wig Iggy
    Hey guys, I've been focusing a lot of my practice time on becoming a better improviser lately and I was curious if you guys could recommend me a book specifically about playing over jazz changes and that sort of thing. I've been playing for 5-6 years would consider myself an intermediate player but, only very recently started doing a harmonic analysis of "I Got Rhythm" I've took private lessons for 4 years and can read music pretty well. Any recommendations, thoughts, or advice would be great. Oh! and I play guitar

Hey,
    Joe Diorio wrote a book just on rhythm changes if you'd like to study his approach.
    My advice would be to choose a tune to transcribe and learn the licks you like the most.
    On the other hand, there are tons of books of transcriptions available. Just buy one of them and that'll be enough for your whole life. I love the book of Joe Pass called "Joe Pass on Guitar".

Study one or two licks fro9m that book a week and your soloing will benefit immensely...

Francesco

User Info Menu

Guys, this doesn't promise ANY bebop licks, in fact the book just has patterns and ideas, modulation formulae and polychordal and diminished vocab. The idea with this book, is to get these sounds into your playing, which gets it into your head. At that point, you can start creating and notating your own ideas through retrograding, inverting ect these Coker patterns.

You'd be SHOCKED at how many ideas the book has that you hear in others' playing

User Info Menu

For Rhythm Changes I used the Frank Vignola books 1-3. Full solos written out w/tab in lots of different keys. He starts out with the guide tones and goes from there....his Jazz Blues books are also pretty good but mostly Dom Blues.

Joe Pass book is also great..no tabs so it helps in learning to read, but good solos for major, minor and bird blues and rhythm changes.

User Info Menu

I am in the market to buy some jazz books, so I can improve my playing and learn more ways to improvise, etc.

I want you to list me some books you think a learning jazz guitarist must have.

I have these 3: Jazz Impro: Harmonic and Melodic Approach by Garrison Fewell
    and Creative Chordal Harmony for Guitar by Tim Miller and Mick Goodrick(even though this seems quite advanced for me).

Thanks,
    Mike

Edit: Not sure if I posted this in the right section.
    Last edited by JPMike; 07-19-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Remark

User Info Menu

The Jazz Theory Book - Mark Levine
    Jazzology - Robert Rawlins
    Forward Motion - Hal Galper
    Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony - Bert Ligon
    Complete Book of Harmony, Theory & Voicing - Bret Willmott

User Info Menu

Charlie Parker Omnibook so much can be learned from learning, playing, and studying Parker.

User Info Menu

Easy...

Jazz Theory Resources vols I and II, and Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony by Bert Ligon

Forward Motion by Hal Galper

User Info Menu

The Advancing Guitarist is pretty amazing. I think of it more of a how to guide for harmonic improvisation, with some other gems in there, maybe it's not exactly "how to play jazz," but it would certainly be my desert island music book. Very comprehensive.

User Info Menu

Hal Crook's 'How to improvise' is a wonderful book with a holistic approach (everything from scale patterns to dynamics, phrase lengths, melodic range, rhythmic phrasing etc). Highly recommended.

Are you studying with anyone at the moment and if yes, who (I'm an Athenian myself although I've been away for a decade)? A bit of structure/guidance will go a long way...

User Info Menu

First of all,

I would like to thank everyone for their recommendations. I will start with Forward Motion by Hal Galper. Seems quite interesting.

I have already saved in a list all the books, you recommended it, so I will be buying them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    Hal Crook's 'How to improvise' is a wonderful book with a holistic approach (everything from scale patterns to dynamics, phrase lengths, melodic range, rhythmic phrasing etc). Highly recommended.

Are you studying with anyone at the moment and if yes, who (I'm an Athenian myself although I've been away for a decade)? A bit of structure/guidance will go a long way...
    Hello there,

I will try the book soon (hoping at least).

Since I started playing guitar, I always had instructors, good ones and bad ones.

Really? How come you left??

Lately, the past 1 year I have been studying with Yiotis Samaras, do you know him?? To me, he is the best so far. Really have improved.

User Info Menu

How about

Mel Bay's Jazz Guitar Chord Chart.

It's an A4 sized card booklet with 6th string and 5th string root 4 note chords, there is also a section on triads on the back page. Aside from the nice picture on the front there are only 3 pages of moveable chord tabs which I find a convenient quick go to reference instead of the jazz guitar chord bible I used to use.

User Info Menu

Hi Mike

I wouldn't recommend starting out with Forward Motion (probably my favourite book) if you are not already very familliar with jazz theory as it assumes a reasonable understanding of theory. The concepts tought in the book are also thought of as the "process" meant to be aplied to an existing vocabulary to become music.

I would recommend starting with Bert Ligon's Jazz Theory Resources Volumes I and II (like Johnny said) or Jazzology or The Jazz Theory Book. Btw don't let all the negativity about the latter book being centred around chord scale theory put you off, Mark has a practical way of explaining general music theory very well and there is a lot of very useful information in there. His section on Reharmonization is excellent (the most comprehensive I've seen).

My advice is to except no single book as the gospel, take what is useful from each book and don't worry too much about the rest. In Jazz you don't wanna be limited in any way to any particular approach anyway, try get as many tools in your toolbox as is possible and concentrate on the most effective stuff.

User Info Menu

But ofcourse if you're already well versed in theory and you've built up a reasonable vocabulary, Forward Motion is mind blowing stuff filled with little jems left behind by the masters.

User Info Menu

First of all, I would like to thank you for your time and advice.

I actually ordered all the books (almost all, the essential ones), mentioned in this thread. So, I am going to keep on checking them all. I will probably start with Bert Ligon's Jazz Theory Resources Volumes I and II.

I will let you know, about my impressions on the books, when I get them.

User Info Menu

First I want to thank everyone on this sight for the time they take helping people out like me who are learning. It's such a great forum....
    Anyway, ordered and just received the Bert Ligon's Jazz Theory books, man there's alot there. They are put together like a textbook for a class ( he is a teacher so it makes sense)...I wish it came with a cd since my sight reading is not great and it'll take time going through the examples. Does anyone know if there is a dvd series out on Jazz theory? That might be better for me...

User Info Menu

With all those books you can't go wrong! Word of caution though, just remember your ears are the most important things to train so don't neglect transcribing! Good luck!

User Info Menu

the joe pass guitar method...

any howard roberts books...

any sal salvador books...

bert ligon....berklee series of books...

check out bob kellers jazz page...

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

Thanks you for your advice!!
    I finally asked Amazon for the book. From the comments I read on the forum seems very interesting. I also saw Garrison videos on Youtube and I liked his style. Now I must wait a month or so for me to arrive.

User Info Menu

Hi, you can also have a look at this thread for more references:

Top 50 Guitar & Music Books

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    +1. I also like Hal's "Ready, Aim, Improvise!" Great stuff.

Jerry Bergonzi's books are excellent, too.

User Info Menu

I've found the Bert Ligon books to be some of the best learning materials available today.

wiz

User Info Menu

Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar Book 1 along with a Real Book.