The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Actor Jeff Goldblum has been a jazz pianist since he was a kid, even getting his parents to drive him to club gigs in Pittsburgh.
    I just heard an interview with him on public radio, where he was plugging his first jazz album, and he seems to love playing jazz and concerned with bringing it to a wider audience.
    His approach to this project seems to emphasize that jazz can be fun and spontaneous, rather than the alienating experience it can sometimes be to non-musicians.
    Jeff Goldblum's 'Capitol Studios Sessions' Is No 1 On Jazz Albums Chart | Billboard

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Goldblum played piano on some episodes of the Law and Order Criminal Intent that he was featured on.

Scott Bakula plays blues and jazz piano occasionally on the NCIS New Orleans series.

User Info Menu

I heard him yesterday with Mark Ruffin on Real Jazz.

JG is a funny, quirky guy, just like the characters he plays. I guess he just plays himself to a significant extent.

User Info Menu

And he played a jazz musician in Lush Life! Very good movie.

User Info Menu

It's good for jazz and that's a positive thing.

User Info Menu

Good CD - fun to listen to. Reminds me a bit of the good live vibes you get with Van Morrison when he's in a good mood.

BTW ... very good guitarist: John Storie.

User Info Menu

I saw him play with a band one night on some late show and I loved it. I'm definitely picking this one up!

User Info Menu

If it's a troll, he's doing a good job of triggering all the jazz musicians in London, so it gets my vote....

User Info Menu

Looking forward to hearing it. Let's see some modern glasses frames. Those are from the fifties, or was it before that?

User Info Menu

And it’s nice to see Haley Reinhart singing jazz. She got her start on American Idol and seemed to have a thing going with another contestant by the name of Casey Abrams, who’s background was definitely jazz. Haley always seemed to be at her best when injecting jazz or blues into her performances, and I loved her performance with Jeff on My Baby Just Cares For Me.

This video is in the op’s link:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Namelyguitar
    Looking forward to hearing it. Let's see some modern glasses frames. Those are from the fifties, or was it before that?
    The last thing Jeff Goldblum needs is style advice. Always super stylish with a touch of quirky thrown in sometimes.

User Info Menu

Listened to some clips. It's better than Geena Davis' bluegrass record, for sure.

User Info Menu

I think that's called damning with faint praise.

User Info Menu

Slebs, eh ;-)

The point is everyone thinks JG is cool.
    JG plays jazz piano.
    Hence, jazz must be cool, cause JG is cool and he plays jazz piano.
    It's only logical...

User Info Menu

a painful poseur not only watch but HEAR, cheesy shit,

for people who want to chill, at the end of the day with a glass of Sweet white wine listing to some kewl music. some people thought Kenny was bad.

User Info Menu

I think i was rather polite,

User Info Menu

I have got to tell you, if I had a few drinks (one is my limit, these days), I could enjoy this show.

I have to also say that I was disappointed that he did not solo; I was curious what he would "say" musically, given his offbeat, quirky personality.

I guess I will have to track down some samples somewhere, as I did not see any in the links given.

User Info Menu

Ah, here is one. Cantaloupe Island. What do you think?

User Info Menu

IDK I like it. I haven't listened to enough of his soloing to comment, but the general vibe is cool. I also like his attitude that you should be always preparing for something and working on self-improvement, whether you're 25 or 6t5.

Jazz purists may sneer, but there are worse things than a dilettante showing how jazz can be cool. Remember Emperor Franz Joseph? Good for orchestral music or not?

This is not Kenny G. KG was playing some kind of marshmallow fluff and calling it "jazz." This seems like well within the jazz mainstream.

User Info Menu

Listened to some clips. It's better than Geena Davis' bluegrass record, for sure.
    Nobody beat Woody on clarinet... )))

But jokes aside - I was astonished that Steve Martine is an accomplished bajo player

User Info Menu

JG...

Too much of an act in it... I never really liked him as an acot - is there any real dramatic part that he played? I can't remember... and playing freaks in blockbusters is not a big deal with such an appearance and personality.
    .. and musically it is teh same thing - at least in these clips.

Woody - when he plays... even maybe he is not really good at instument and skills - but he is really there for music...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    JG...

Too much of an act in it... I never really liked him as an acot - is there any real dramatic part that he played? I can't remember...
    I remember enjoying this one.
    It is a comedy, though, and it was some 30 years ago, so I do not really remember the movie ...

Into the Night (1985) - IMDb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    I remember enjoying this one.
    It is a comedy, though, and it was some 30 years ago, so I do not really remember the movie ...

Into the Night (1985) - IMDb
    I don't remember this one.. I will watch - sometimes I like to watch these movies from 80s even if they are not the best ones)

he acted quite a lot in late 70s - early 80s... he caught a bit of the 'independent Hollywood' period (I am not sure if it is Hollywood I would rather call it NY)..
    He had a nice and funny part in 'Next Stop, Greenwich Village' - very nice film with young Chrostopher Walken... and some other films.

I do not say he is bad.. but he seems 'emploi' guy, which is very different from Dustin Hoffman or DeNiro who can just play a character...
    I remember I watched a mediocre film where DeNiro played a father who visited his grown-up kids around the country after the death of his wife.. the film is terrible in script and cliche (the Italian original is even worse mimicking Fellini's films with Marcello Mastroiani) but DeNiro did not act..
    he just was this retired electrician, father, whoever... it is even scary... it looks like this guy does not have his own personality.
    When I watched one of these 'meet the parents' films.. there was an episode when I suddenly realized that all the actors on the stage just did comic act, just made it fun and mimicking different genre cliches (sad, family meeting, family quarell, reunion, anger and all)... and DeNiro really was that old CIA vet who gave his daughter to marry god knows who (and he is right actually) etc.
    He was the only person I could feel compassion because he was just the only real person in the movie...
    And in my opinion Dustin Hoffman too but there was not much of him for that...

As for Jeff Goldblume definitely with such an expressive appearance (and personality) it is not easy)))

In his dramatic parts I always feel like he is a comedian taht tries to make an impression od a dramatic part.

For comic actors it is not necessary to play different characters - on the contrary to be succesful they have to stcik to one unique image and character..
    that is why I think some dramatic Bill Murray's parts are a challenge because he had to break through his succeful comic character.
    For example Robin Williams (as good as he was) in my opinion just invented another character for his dramatic parts... like he had two imperssions: 'comedian' and 'dramatic'... in 'Awakings', 'Dead Poets' Society', 'Good Will Hunting' he is fine but he plays more or less the same personality using more or less the same technique and Bill Murray tried to really act a specific unique character...

And Jeff Goldblume seems to be the opposite to it... I think naturally he has a gift for comedy.

Appearance also is tough thing for an actor...

But on the other hand I recently watched (or re-wantched) Sidney Lumet's 'Family Business' with Dustin Hoffman, Sean Connery, Matthew Broderick... that is a nice movie where the actors are so convicing as characters taht you really do not care about the plot or action - it is interesting to witness and be involved in people's life and realtionships..
    And speaking about 'emploi' it is obvious that Sean Connery was exploited as a big strong charismatic guy all the time (and here too) but at the same time he manages to convey a convincing character...