The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

I dunno, how can rock ever become outdated or irrelevant, when you have something like that! If the youth of today can't relate to it, I feel sorry for them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So I watched the video and got the impression RB would like major acts to lighten up so he can use their stuff to monetize for his own purposes. The whole "new jazz" bit seems a real stretch for clicks. Am I missing something? - Puzzled in Pa.

Disclaimer: As a "self educating" guitar and when it’s necessary keyboard player, I have picked up (or stolen) quite a bit of musical stuff that Rick has taught. What I like the most about him, is his story of utter failure and rejection while trying to get into a music school and trying to make a musical career for himself. I mean how much rejection can a guy take?

Anyway…

@Hep To The Jive

Re:
    “EDM is what most youth are into. Boring shit.”

Case in point. I only dig a few Phish tunes but I suspect that listening to them live while flying on a doobie or two will be what the doctor ordered with regards to appreciating the whole Phish oevre.
    I think this is even more so with EDM. Gotta be high, dancing with your eye candy gal pal while preferably being under 35 or so years of age.

@Robertkoa

Re:

“R&B, Rock ,Reggaeton, and all the new Rhythmic
    Pop, Legato , Americana ,and Worldbeat and all the Modern Classical , etc etc etc is the 'New Jazz' - if you have 'Jazz Skills '[ whatever that means ] you can use them but a lot of new music has much more pronounced
    Rhythms ..so you may need to adjust.
    Or you can pick a Style or Era and decide whether you want to copy or innovate or both.”

You’re on point here big time. Unless I’m unaware of a current artist doing the above, someone is going to come and meld what you’re talking about and make a serious name for her/himself. Good stuff.

Oh and Eric Johnson. Right from the start, I was fascinated by how one could pick out his playing from anywhere. I think it’s those wide interval triad/arpeggios he sprinkles into his solos. Lovely player for sure!

@citizenk74

“So I watched the video and got the impression RB would like major acts to lighten up so he can use their stuff to monetize for his own purposes.”

AH-MEN. That was exactly what I got from Rick’s rant. I had no idea he irked quite a few folks. Maybe it’s because I mostly read his U-tube comments. Many are grateful for the “free” music lessons however,...

It looks like Rick is building a serious business right in front of his fans eyes!
    All that rejection has created a monster. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz

It looks like Rick is building a serious business right in front of his fans eyes!
    All that rejection has created a monster. LOL

PS:

Pissing of people has a price and as previously stated, rejection has indeed created a monster.

RB just crossed the 500,000 subscribers on his "Everything Music" Youtube channel.

He says his iphone rant is his biggest video to date with over 2,000,000 views.

Check out his voice shaking as he thanks his fans.