Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I'm an archop player normally

But I just impulse bought a cheap classical
    Bargain ... £15 from a charity shop

It's a B&M and all seems fine
    What would be good strings for me to start out with
    (I use heavy TI jazz swings on the jazz box)

Gonna play chord melody type stuff on it not classical repertoir

Thanks guys

Ps also it doesn't have any neck dots ...
    Any good ideas for fixing that , I do need some !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just use D'Addario normal tension or whatever they're called. Easier for jazz than the 'high tension' ones.

Classical guitars sometimes have 'dots' on the side of the fingerboard (not the surface). You can use a tippex pen or something like that to put a couple of discreet 'blobs' on the side of the fingerboard if that helps, they won't be very visible to anyone else.

User Info Menu

I like the D'addario Pro Arte hard tension classical guitar strings with the black nylon trebles and silver basses.

Instead of painting dots on your guitar neck, why not just learn to play it without the dots. It will make you a better player in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I like the pro arte hard tension with the synthetic G, gotta look up the set#...I like the different material on the G, as it doesn't sound thuddy, and I like the hard tension as I'll occasionally play with a pick.

User Info Menu

At £15 you could paint day-glo stripes on the fingerboard if you like.

Or you could buy a nice expensive set of strings and double the value of the guitar.

User Info Menu

I use La Bella 860 hard tension strings. The 2nd and 3rd strings are nylon wound on nylon, so you might have to slightly enlarge the bridge holes for those two strings, but the tonal results are worth it.

User Info Menu

I find that you have to experiment with each guitar. I prefer normal tension D'Addario Composite polished strings with the composite G string for the same reason as Jeff on one guitar. The others are hard tension with a mixture of bass string and trebles. Carbon trebles on those, Savarez carbon trebles and D'Addario polished bass strings.

I found I had a bit of trouble when I started playing with a fretboard that had no side dots. I used a dab of Wite Out at the usual fret location (side dots only). Eventually I didn't need it. The temporary side dots helped me because I switch guitars frequently with the fretboard joining the body at different frets e.g. 12th fret, 14th fret. If side dots will help improve your playing experience then by all means use them. Playing your guitar frequently and accurately will make you a better player not the absence or addition of side dots.
    Last edited by rob taft; 08-10-2018 at 06:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Savarez 540J Alliance

OP here ,
    I want to play with a pick sometimes too ...

Does that affect the choice of strings hard/medium/soft ?

Is it the gauge or the materials that hard / soft
    refers to

Does it affect the intonation much ?

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    At £15 you could paint day-glo stripes on the fingerboard if you like.

Or you could buy a nice expensive set of strings and double the value of the guitar.
    Ha ! yeah right !

I don't understand how people play without
    the dots ...
    Maybe they're just better than me ...
    I'll get the tippex out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    OP here ,
    I want to play with a pick sometimes too ...

Does that affect the choice of strings hard/medium/soft ?

Is it the gauge or the materials that hard / soft
    refers to

Does it affect the intonation much ?
    I think hard means high tension. So when tuned to pitch, they are higher tension so a bit harder to press down than normal tension. I think some players like them because they project more. Personally I only play classical guitar at home so I find normal tension easier, and better for jazz playing. I use a pick on them sometimes, works for me. I don’t think the tension should affect intonation much.

But what is the action like on your guitar? Cheap ones are often quite high. This might determine which tension strings you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Ha ! yeah right !

I don't understand how people play without
    the dots ...
    Maybe they're just better than me ...
    I'll get the tippex out
    Yeah do what you like! I bought a £600 classical guitar and I still put one dot at the 7th fret with some tippex. I ain’t no Segovia, I need a bit of visual reference!

User Info Menu

I use the lowest tension D'Addario Pro Artes currently, they sound warmer than the harder tension strings. For years I used Labella 413P strings with "flatwound" basses. Those are what Gene Bertoncini uses (also, his "Approaching The Guitar" book and his DVD on solo jazz playing are recommended).

User Info Menu

I have been using Savarez Alliance/Corum 500J high tension on a guitar setup with a low action dedicated to jazz/latin style playing. They have have a wonderful rich bell like tone in the trebles all the way up the neck and the basses sound crisp and articulate and very even all the way up the neck. I find other strings trebles I have tried like Pro Arte black nylon /Aquila nylgut and regular nylons tend to have a prominent sweet spot on the neck and lose something lower down or higher up but these seem to hold their tone and articulation. These carbon trebles have the tone I am after. The basses are very well matched to the treble tone so why bother messing with mixing and matching .

Will

User Info Menu

If the guitar is not resonant, light strings won't sound, so a high-tension is better, also for pick playing. just the standard D'Addarios to start with, then experiment.

User Info Menu

I tried ~ 1 billion different type of strings for my guitar but ended up getting these...

Savarez S.A. 520J Rectified Nylon Very High Tension Classical Guitar Strings | Sweetwater

Savarez Very High Tension... they make my guitar sing...

I also have some sets of Hannabach trebles which I will sometimes substitute...
    the Hannabach have a very different feel for plain nylon, but I always keep the bass strings the VHT Saverez

User Info Menu

Pingu - put away the Tippex - you might damage your valuable acquisition.

This is exactly what you need: Position Markers > Guitar Accessories. Classical Guitars PLUS.

User Info Menu

I purchased a four string baritone ukulele that has dimensions approximating small classical/Spanish nylon strung guitars.

It has a 21 fret neck measuring 24” from the nut to the bridge saddle. I am tuning the baritone to DGBE; standard tuning. I am playing jazz and bossa nova and like a fairly bright sound. Can you suggest the best options for restringing the instrument?

User Info Menu

My best advice for nylon string is to change them at least 3 days before you NEED them to stay in tune!
    Last edited by whiskey02; 06-16-2020 at 11:13 PM.