The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    He's not a "singer". He's a singer/guitarist or guitarist/singer. He plays guitar much better than he sings, and always has.

He was the "new boss of guitar" if you'll check his history. How many albums did he put out before he sang on one of them?, 3,4,5?
    Actually his first break was singing. He recorded a single for RCA as a sort of child prodigy under the name Little Georgie Benson, as a singer. His second album (It's Uptown) has some vocals (Foggy Day, Summertime).

To his main audience he is a singer, unfortunately.
    Last edited by grahambop; 06-29-2018 at 04:10 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Agreed, but it doesn't make booing less rude.

I saw/heard George play at the Kennedy Center 5(?) years ago, still had his chops, played and sang great!

User Info Menu

Regardless as to who is at fault - event promoters or George Benson for trying to perform after having lost his voice . . . it doesn't change the fact that booing is rude, can't say that I've met anyone who likes being booed, more about respect than touchy feely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Regardless as to who is at fault - event promoters or George Benson for trying to perform after having lost his voice . . . it doesn't change the fact that booing is rude, can't say that I've met anyone who likes being booed, more about respect than touchy feely.

Well .. Getting hurt experiencing boo's vs Flushing at least 110$ pr. person + an evening of your time down the drain?

We all have different perspectives I guess

Btw you think the good people attending that concert would have gotten a refund had they not booed and walked out?

User Info Menu

I went to see George Benson play when he came to my home town. I expected all the cheesy hits, but hoped for some jazz too. The closest was Danny Boy. I also don't really care for dancing in the aisles which many of the punters insisted upon. I was quite disappointed. I would never dream of booing though. I think those punters were plain rude.

User Info Menu

Hats off to Mr Benson. Ever since Stravinsky's premier of Rite of Spring, composers and performers alike have been trying to reach that benchmark.
    It's an honor to move an audience to a reaction. Sure beats a room full of confused audients masking their vexation with polite tentative gratuitous applause.

That'd be one for my book anyway. GB knows he's good. He'll live. He'll laugh over it. But I think being disappointed when you're looking forward to a show is a lot harder to a concert attendee. I feel bad for anyone who was so displeased that they felt compelled to express themselves that way.
    Ha ha, I remember going to concert by the Who (when Keith Moon was alive and kicking) and there were a few people who were really disappointed. I couldn't understand it so I asked them "Why didn't you like the show?" "Pete didn't smash his guitar and Keith didn't trash the drumset. They could have afforded it. I don't know why they didn't."
    Yeah, don't question the expectations of the audience members, just hope you make them happy.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I saw Men without Hats in concert...no Safety Dance.

Re: Booing

A guy ain't feeling well, but still comes out to perform and entertain, and people boo? What absolute shit human beings. Seriously, screw them. Indefensible.
    You're really saying screw them to people that paid up to 250£ which is 330$ for a show?

George Benson loses his voice at Royal Albert Hall concert | Daily Mail Online

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    I think I get your drift. Except that I do not live there and never would.
    London was the most remain area of the whole country so what you say doesn't stack up unless you are complaining about rich liberals. Also the national front here is a joke, in France they were a serious contender so glass houses indeed. People are just rude and care far more about their wallet than their fellow men, when was it different?

User Info Menu

didnt realise GB is 75 & still playing up a storm and still got the groove

User Info Menu

And quite frankly, if I were at a GB show and people booed and walked, I'd be happy to walk up to stage's edge and let a great player -- especially one of George's caliber -- know how much he's appreciated, not only for that night's work, but for the gift of great music he's given us over the years.

If I don't like a show, I'll walk long before I boo.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 07-01-2018 at 08:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    And quite frankly, if I were at a GB show and people booed and walked, I'd be happy to walk up to stage's edge and let a great player -- especially one of George's caliber -- how much he's appreciated, not only for that night's work, but for the gift of great music he's given us over the years.

If I don't like a show, I'll walk long before I boo.
    I totally agree with how you would deal it. Gracious, not rude.

Nevertheless, as I said quite a while ago, the show should have been canceled. Or perhaps the tour should have been canceled, who knows?

George Benson is a jazz icon, and rightly so. But I highly doubt that many people who go to his concerts now and pay top dollar or equivalent currency are doing so for that reason. They want a crooner, not a guitar virtuoso.

User Info Menu

I came to hear Pat Martino and he decided to sing...

George shoulda done a Chet Baker impression: GB sings Chet Baker. He would have got away with it. Who doesn't like Chet Baker? You just have to put the right spin on it to keep the crowd happy.

The booing berks in London Town.

Few are aware of GB the jazz guitarist. You mean George Benson plays guitar? You'd be surprised.

User Info Menu

Really, I love France and Britain--they are all just lovely people...that British royal wedding, OMG, brought tears to me eyes.

And France--what can you say? Beautiful place, they have the art of living down. Drove through every town in the Bourgogne region once. Ate and drank like kings. Came across a 1000-year-old church in the middle of nowhere. Amazing, right?

There are jerks everywhere. I can see it happening in the US in the right circumstance, though by and large MOST people are fairly docile, especially at these large events. I went to an outdoor show last weekend--paid $75 to see some old crooner named Jackson Browne--and they metal-detected us and told my fiancee she couldn't bring in her 5 x 8" purse because the limit was 4 x 7" and had to be clear plastic. The nerve! We just said OK and did as we were told.

Brexit and French politics including that event of yesteryear where it was off with everyone's head is really a tangent here, IMHO of course.

Re' George and his voice...we'll see how nice the French fans are to him in Bologna-Billancourt tomorrow night.

User Info Menu

George is a legend, and my personal inspiration... he brought many good things into my life. Lots of light and joy.

But partly what happened is a result of his extremely audience-focused attitude.

Paradoxally but when you always try to please everyone - these a**holes, they shoot you in the back if you just once cant do it.

User Info Menu

I will say this...I never thought I would see the day that George Benson would get booed.

End times must be upon us.

User Info Menu

The booing was totally wrong and I would have never done that. GB is one of the greatest and he deserves our respect. .. anyone’s respect really. He must be one of the most gifted musicians ever.

It happened that last year I was on holiday with my family in Marbella (Spain) when GB came there to perform. I immediately bought tickets as it was a rare chance to see a legend perform. I could have bought a pretty decent guitar for what I‘ve paid. Anyways, we were sitting in a hotel bar close to the performance site and GB walked in with his manager. He looked stressed and tired and it was clear that he did not want to be bothered. That is totally fine of course. He must have quite a schedule and everybody needs downtime.

At the performance he was clearly strugggeling a lot with his voice. It kept breaking and he missed many notes. My wife looked at me in disbelieve that I brought her there. I really felt sorry for GB, but he probably should not have performed that night. He kind of pulled it off with a lifetime of experience but I would not go there again but rather listen to his stellar records.

The guitar playing was fine but the sound guy was awful and managed to either make him sound thin and brittle or muddy; the guitar never sat right in the mix (and the second guitar player was not any good). That is not GB‘s fault of course, but it it did not quite add to the experience. We left before the extra‘s and did not look back.

I am really greatful for the music that GB has given us and I love listening to it and probably always will. Some people in their seventies still go strong .. check out David Gilmour‘s live at Popei 2016 ... which is great IMHO.

Just my 0.02$ ... really I love GB, just wanted to share my experience.

User Info Menu

Saw George Benson earlier this year and his voice was amazing. He sounded even better than in his old records. He's still got it. Any singer that pushes his voice to that level is going to have an off night once in a while...

Of course I would have liked more guitar, but that's not what sells the tickets!