The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 109

User Info Menu

One group that is trying to merge the old and the new in jazz is Snarky Puppy. Have a listen on Youtube.

Doug

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    that quote is so old now, it's starting to smell funny...
    ya mean ... who is frank zappa ??

User Info Menu

as noted..times have changed..move with it or get run over..

Miles Davis..love or hate him..he moved..bop to cool..to modal..to fusion and new music was spawned from his explorations and the musicians that played with him..McLaughlin..hancock..scofield and others

mid late 70s saw miles in los angeles a fairly small theatre type venue..scofield on guitar..it was fusions day..sco was killing it too..then..miles playes a melodic line from a pop tune of the day..Time after Time /cindy lauper..and he made it jazz..because he knew how to do it..

I watch Jack White and enjoy the energy and innovation he puts into his music .. Steady as she goes..far from Jazz..but not the energy..I play some early miles and benny golson tunes..whisper not..that has some nice bop flavor to it..and I fully realize the folks that are into Jack White are not going to listen to Golson and get too excited..there is no right or wrong about it..no one or thing to blame..

some movie soundtracks use music for by gone periods for effect and it may be new to some young people..we must remember why jazz worked in the period it lived..it was the music of the day for the most part..Tony Bennett concerts are memory lane for most of his fans..yet he teamed with Lady GaGa for a duet album..BingCrosby sang with David Bowie..so who knows when jazz may make a surprise appearance to those who have never heard of miles davis or lady day

User Info Menu

If jazz were dead I don't think I could be the guitarist for two jazz bands, about to become three, with 15 performances this month, for audiences that like the way we perform, who deliberately come to hear us and request songs, including the dozen I've composed and taught to the band(s), and the standards, many of which I arranged and taught to the band(s)... if jazz were any much more less dead I would be inundated.

To my ear, virtually all popular attempts to enhance a music form to make it more widely appealing have been failures producing horrible stuff. It makes me wonder if maybe many who claim to like and play jazz actually don't, or just don't want to play it as jazz - that maybe they want to change it to something they craft and calculate to be "more widely appealing" but which just ends up being "most weirdly appalling"... then rationalize rejection as "jazz is dead".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    ya mean ... who is frank zappa ??
    hehe, well, that and several of his other quotes seem to be "on the nose" these days... more than just a few of his lyrics, for instance, would fail current PC censorship.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    In the UK we have Jazz FM

Jazz FM

and jazz specific programmes on the BBC and other channels.
    Here in the Detroit area, we used to have WJZZ, great station for jazz, bebop era and upward, bought out by rap/hip hop goons and gone for good.

User Info Menu

Bernard Herrmann was once asked by an interviewer whether he didn't feel limited by writing film music, because it limited his use of form.
    His answer was, "When you go to the doctor, you are happy if he makes you well. Do you also expect him to make you rich!?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    If jazz were dead I don't think I could be the guitarist for two jazz bands, about to become three, with 15 performances this month, for audiences that like the way we perform, who deliberately come to hear us and request songs, including the dozen I've composed and taught to the band(s), and the standards, many of which I arranged and taught to the band(s)... if jazz were any much more less dead I would be inundated..
    Is your point to say you are an example of the current situation, or an exception to the rule?

User Info Menu

PMJ just celebrated 1 billion views.I think theres hope.Those female singers are out there as well as everybody else including tap dancers.If done right maybe get Esperanza Spalding to help brainstorm on some ideas.

User Info Menu

Dinosaurs apparently are dead outside of cinema, museums, toy stores and new unearthed relic news reports.
    The many species of sound known as jazz still freely roam the earth, maintaining traditions as well as
    evolving new forms of self expression. Obviously, jazz is not commercially and culturally front and center, but not dead.

User Info Menu

Got home tonight , too tired to play guitar, turned on the TV
    the usual drivel prevailed, switched to You Tube instead to
    see Tuba Skinny,the New Orleans Trad ragtime band. Not
    usually my music but it was very entertaining. and fun,
    I continued to see Wynford Marsalis quintet with a knock-out
    violinist , plus Frank Vignola, and then Bucky Pizzarelli ( aged 88)
    playing with a gypsy band. How can we say that Jazz is dead
    with marvellous inspirational musicians like this to see and hear?
    I continued and watched George Benson, Diana Krall, and one of
    my several favourite guitarists, Joe Pass.
    Pure bliss. ( as our comedian Billy Connolly would say in his
    inimitable Glaswegian accent, Jazz is dead?? " absolute nonsense"
    {Perhaps one should follow Rob MacKillop's advice to visit Edinburgh
    for a plethora of Jazz, ) or simply look around you.

User Info Menu

Jazz is not dead... it has just changed shape.... explore....

User Info Menu

The OP said "Digital sales for jazz drop every year now. NOone is listening. Jazz hasn't evolved at all since the atonal solo overtook the swing of jazz. Which sadly knocked jazz music right out of the dance hall and it's been downhill ever since."

My theory is that everything evolves, for better worse. As I see it, jazz peaked in the early-mid 60s, rock peaked in the late 70s. Movies? Choose your own year, but clearly the best is behind us. Books? Ditto. Same with politics, alas.

A constant theme that I see in jazz is the desire to shred as opposed to being melodic. Showing your chops as opposed to playing for the audience. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not connected with current music. But it's hard for me to believe that jazz musicians today are incapable of coming up with music that people like to hear, that makes them tap their feet and yes, maybe, dance a little. Regrettably, their peers would probably laugh at them for being so square.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Jazz is not dead... it has just changed shape.... explore....

Steps!
    Not bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Movies? Choose your own year, but clearly the best is behind us.
    I suppose this is an aside but I couldn't disagree more. There have been so many amazing films in the past 5 years.

User Info Menu

The novel has been dying for all of my adult reading life. In fact, most everything I enjoy is dead or about to be dead any minute.

Or maybe that’s just what some people say about any single established cultural enterprise in a world that increasingly has more and more things to see and do.

User Info Menu

Jazz is only dead if you want it to be. Just spend some time listening.

If you think jazz is dead, what in the world are you doing hang around here?

Jazz isn't a commercial music, but that's a good thing because the musicians can pursue their muse unfettered by commercial considerations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    I suppose this is an aside but I couldn't disagree more. There have been so many amazing films in the past 5 years.

I like movies, always have, but have cut off the premium cable channels. If it's even half good, I've already seen it. Plus I have pay per view movies. It's still pretty bad.

I saw a quote from some famous person in the movie business not too long ago who said that movies suck now and TV is hot (words to that effect). He was referring to cable TV channels of course, not the big 3 networks.

Anyway, please name a few amazing movies since 2013. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    The novel has been dying for all of my adult reading life. In fact, most everything I enjoy is dead or about to be dead any minute.

Or maybe that’s just what some people say about any single established cultural enterprise in a world that increasingly has more and more things to see and do.
    Entertainment (movies, music, novels, etc.) used to be written for adults because only adults had money. As teens and eventually children began to have money, they became the primary target age demographic for entertainment. Think about it...they are the perfect consumers because they have virtually no impulse control and demand a constant stream of new entertainment to be satisfied.

Unfortunately for adults, it is increasing difficult to find movies, music, and books that aren't banal youngster themes produced for short attention spans. The average consumer has just gotten a lot younger, with all that this change entails. We were all young once; we just didn't have enough money back then to influence whole industries.

User Info Menu

Nailed it.

It's all super hero, special effects, magical powers, and horror crap these days.

User Info Menu

where is jazz today?

User Info Menu

Didnt jazz stop being popular music after swing? That is a long time ago but jazz has since then attracted enthusiastic non musician listeners of the music. I believe that this group is dissappearing and the only listeners left are other jazz musicians or worse people like me - aspiring jazz musicians.

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I like movies, always have, but have cut off the premium cable channels. If it's even half good, I've already seen it. Plus I have pay per view movies. It's still pretty bad.

I saw a quote from some famous person in the movie business not too long ago who said that movies suck now and TV is hot (words to that effect). He was referring to cable TV channels of course, not the big 3 networks.

Anyway, please name a few amazing movies since 2013. Thanks.
    Sure, off the top of my head I liked Birdman, Arrival, Ladybird, Annihilation, Call Me By Your Name, Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea, Sicario, Ex Machina, Blade Runner 2049, Budapest Hotel, Three Billboards, It....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Desm0nd
    Didnt jazz stop being popular music after swing? That is a long time ago but jazz has since then attracted enthusiastic non musician listeners of the music. I believe that this group is dissappearing and the only listeners left are other jazz musicians or worse people like me - aspiring jazz musicians.

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk
    If you take the OP seriously he seems to suggesting everything after the swing era is a mistake.

There are people who think this, but having played more than my fair share of swing gigs, I am not one of them. I like this era, but so much of what interests me about jazz comes after this period, esp from the point of view of the rhythm section, repertoire, harmony, comping etc.

User Info Menu

When I first got into jazz, fusion was popular- Weather Report, Return to Forever, etc. The free jazz stuff from ECM was popular with some of my friends, too. I lost interest in any of it when I discovered Charlie Parker. Didn't matter he'd already been dead for over 20 years. From there I got into the Tristano cool thing- and those guys were still alive! At the time I kind of skipped over hard bop, avant-garde, and 70's era CTI, eventually re-discovering them later in life.

My point is, I liked what I liked, just because it wasn't what was currently popular didn't mean jazz was dead.

Now in New Jersey, there's a lot of live jazz, in restaurants, (a few) clubs, and there's at least 2 or 3 annual festivals. More, I think, than when I was growing up.