The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 109

User Info Menu

I think this is a really interesting topic!

For the last half year or so I got really interested in electro-swing, and I've been trying to incorporate that sound to my Band's Repertoire. Personally I do see a future in that music. I'm 25 now, so I'm not part of a generation where Jazz-music plays a huge role, but that stuff is somthing a lot of people my age currently listen to.

Do you Guys know Caravan Palace? I see a whole lot of what OP proclaimed happening in their music. These guys play Gipsy Jazz, but together with a DJ instead of a Drummer, and they get huge, young crowds to have a whole lot of fun! But have a look yourself, this is a full concert:

I'm intrigued to say this is the next big chance for Jazz music!

Just my two Cents

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You should move to Edinburgh. We have The Jazz Bar serving up three jazz acts every night of the week, every day of the year. We also have the Edinburgh International Jazz Festival, this July celebrating its 40th year. Last year they sold out every concert at the festival Theatre, which holds 2,000. And there were small jazz combos playing all over the place. And we have some great jazz musicians living in Edinburgh. Can they make a good living from jazz? Hell no, they all do teaching or some other job on the side, but the jazz is good quality, and brings in the crowds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby

For the last half year or so I got really interested in electro-swing, and I've been trying to incorporate that sound to my Band's Repertoire. Personally I do see a future in that music. I'm 25 now, so I'm not part of a generation where Jazz-music plays a huge role, but that stuff is somthing a lot of people my age currently listen to.

Do you Guys know Caravan Palace? I see a whole lot of what OP proclaimed happening in their music. These guys play Gipsy Jazz, but together with a DJ instead of a Drummer, and they get huge, young crowds to have a whole lot of fun! But have a look yourself, this is a full concert:

Just my two Cents

That is a great act and they fill the place, people seem entertained .. I like the current gypsy and swing retro wave that is going on (Edit: Just realized that the concert is 10 years old .. dunno if they still exist?)

OP is not talking about jazz, he is talking about entertainment. At some point almost 100 years ago jazz was a most popular form of entertainment .. but as usual entertainment moved on and people lost interest in jazz.

If you want to be part of that go where people are enjoying themselves in large numbers, but complaining that jazz, rockabilly, metal or even barok for that matter is dead is silly.

User Info Menu

"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa
    that quote is so old now, it's starting to smell funny...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    that quote is so old now, it's starting to smell funny...
    Those of us that remember the quote are the ones who are really old. I can speak for myself anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    Those of us that remember the quote are the ones who are really old. I can speak for myself anyway.
    ... and we smell funny... (speaking for myself anyway)

User Info Menu

this may be off topic, not sure, but what is that old people smell? Moth balls? why do antique stores and my Grandma’s house all smell the same regardless of what’s actually there?

User Info Menu

Electro swing is soooooo 2010 (and awful) and I say this as a veteran of the bad vintage party scene.

Anyway,

1) what is a Pat Metheny?
    2) I hear the dancehall thing from everyone from Barry Harris to swing dancers. The swingers blame the boppers. The boppers blame the post boppers.
    3) its all about YouTube now
    4) a lot of contemporary jazz is only tenuously connected to jazz. It can still be great music
    5) punters like vibey music of any style. There is a LOT of very boring straightahead jazz
    6) a lot of young people are really into Vulfpeck, Thundercat, Knower, Snarky Puppy, Ezra Collective, Christian Scott and so on. Some of this stuff doesn’t do it for me, but it’s young musicians playing jazz and related music and it is popular with a lot of people - not just players

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    this may be off topic, not sure, but what is that old people smell? Moth balls? why do antique stores and my Grandma’s house all smell the same regardless of what’s actually there?

yes. maybe some mold too, but hope not.

User Info Menu

Ok, well why does my uncle smell like the inside of a wool hat?

User Info Menu

Just my two Cents
    Also my friend almost got sued by Caravan Palace. Or rather universal. Universal seem to think they have the copyright on 1-b7-b6-5 bassline with a backbeat.

Anyway, you were 15 when Electro swing started off. What the hell are you doing listening to it now? Just say no to cocktails served in teacups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Edinburgh.
    Exactly.

User Info Menu

It doesn't look as though dancing is dead either.

Jazz band | About | University of Stirling

They did the same thing in Brighton too.

Brighton Lindyhoppers: Fun and friendly swing dance classes in Brighton & Hove

User Info Menu

I spent almost every other weekend playing swing dance events from around 2011 - 2015 in various European cities. I stopped doing it but the band is still going stronger than ever on that stuff...

It's a big scene.

Strictly pre-bop jazz though. The good dancers are very picky about bands as well, and picky about things that just don't occur to musicians...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    What a great manifesto! I have an idea - let's start a record company and call it CTI. Let's get the best players around and play accessible jazz but with a bit of a current appeal, you know, add in a little pop, rock, funk, etc. And just to give it a little edginess and kick, just a smidge of outside playing. Maybe we can recruit George Benson and Herbie Hancock or somethin'.

We'll create a whole new style. We'll call it....... "The 70s"

That's a great idea!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by manleyman123
    That's a great idea!
    I liked it quite a bit. It sounded great then and sounds great now.

Of course I lament and vent...the reason for the thread ..

My big gripe is that I have to drive 85 miles to hear any live jazz at all. My wife likes to dance and we like to go out. And I wish there was more going on. ;(

I know there is an audience for a broader sound tho....when the Joey Cooks of the world sing standards on national tv it works so well. The wife and I go to the joints in kc...and Postmodern jukebox has a nice little flavor. We saw them on tour last year and they were really great for a throwback style show. Seems like there is a potential momentum right now that isn't being capitalized on. To me jazz doesn't have to be so distilled and pure, or does it?

quite a list

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    [... ]
    Anyway, you were 15 when Electro swing started off. What the hell are you doing listening to it now? Just say no to cocktails served in teacups.
    I'm working on a concept with my Band to play electro-swing without any electronics involved, purely acoustic. Got some very positive Feedback about it, and at least around here people really liked it.

Paul

User Info Menu

I'm working on a concept with my Band to play electro-swing without any electronics involved, purely acoustic. Got some very positive Feedback about it, and at least around here people really liked it.

Paul
    That's wonderful, I wish you every success, just keep it the hell away from me.* Hopefully you can make some money!

* I am emotionally damaged by long nights spent in speakeasy themed club nights in extremely hot vintage wool suits. All this awaits you. And more.

User Info Menu

Actually, isn't electro swing like - "Jazz is dead. Let's fix it by putting a backbeat on it?"

And as a genre, the fact that a 25 year old such as yourself is doing this, is a testament to its longevity. This was an article that was written 3 years ago, and still, here we are:

Electro Swing is the Worst Genre of Music in the World, Ever - Thump

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    What a great manifesto! I have an idea - let's start a record company and call it CTI. Let's get the best players around and play accessible jazz but with a bit of a current appeal, you know, add in a little pop, rock, funk, etc. And just to give it a little edginess and kick, just a smidge of outside playing. Maybe we can recruit George Benson and Herbie Hancock or somethin'.

We'll create a whole new style. We'll call it....... "The 70s"

I'm just on the verge of crawling out of 80's R&B hell and now I'm going back to the 70's?
    I'm not sure how I feel about this.

User Info Menu

Music is dead. Fix it.

User Info Menu

Jazz is over. The world has moved on. That's okay. Barbershop quartets aren't big anymore either. We (jazz enthusiasts and musicians) are stuck in the past, and that's not going to change because the genre itself is of the past.

We are like scholars of Aramaic. Nobody is going to speak this language with us. Outside of a handful of people nobody is interested.

For myself, I'm perfectly fine with this. I have a lot of interests that are not shared by the general public. I like the fact that I can see big name jazz artists in small venues. I like the fact that you CAN'T do this music for the money. You have to have a certain level of passion and commitment. (BTW, I'm only talking about the US here. I don't know enough about how things are elsewhere.) But the idea that there's something we can to "fix" jazz or make it more popular is misguided. It can't be done. Individual jazz artists might get popular, but jazz itself will never again be much more popular than it is now, and will probably continue to bleed listeners.

But hey, Jazz had a solid 40-ish year run as America's popular music. That's pretty damn good. And look: Even rock is over the hill at this point. It'll limp on for another couple of decades, but the pop scene is pretty much just rap, r&b, and country at this point.

Things change. Music changes. Us old dudes resist that. There are (I think) great reasons to love jazz, but in general they're not compelling reasons to most people, and we can't really make them compelling. Now, we can wail and gnash our teeth over this, or we can enjoy the fact that we're able to enjoy the music we love without as much of the music industry BS as one might find in other genres.