The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Missing a day of guitar playing is like not being able to brush your teeth. It's possible to do, but no, no, no, no, no!
    Which I'm currently finding hilarious as I knocked the caddy holding my toothbrush AND toothpaste into the toilet this morning. Had to go with just mouthwash...it's not the same.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Which I'm currently finding hilarious as I knocked the caddy holding my toothbrush AND toothpaste into the toilet this morning. Had to go with just mouthwash...it's not the same.
    5 second rule...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    5 second rule...
    Proof of Parenthood! (or suitability for it!)

User Info Menu

Today on Facebook Royce Campbell shared this:

"The other night I was lying in bed after spending the whole day without playing my guitar. I started thinking about fellow jazz guitarist Peter Leitch who cannot play guitar anymore because of illness and how tragic that is. Then I was wondering how he would feel if he knew I went the whole day without playing even though I was totally able to. I made a vow to myself to never go another day without playing guitar if not for me, for Peter."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Today on Facebook Royce Campbell shared this:

"The other night I was lying in bed after spending the whole day without playing my guitar. I started thinking about fellow jazz guitarist Peter Leitch who cannot play guitar anymore because of illness and how tragic that is. Then I was wondering how he would feel if he knew I went the whole day without playing even though I was totally able to. I made a vow to myself to never go another day without playing guitar if not for me, for Peter."
    No matter what's going on in my life, I put in a full day of practice every day. In music, you're only good as your last gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Not during the Olympics.
    Or World Cup...

User Info Menu

Nope. I gave it up. After so many years I found it was bad for my playing. If I'm gigging I will just to make sure my speed is there. But I did an interesting thing. I stopped playing for almost a year.....I mean playing everyday. I'd pick up my guitar for a few minutes once a week or so. What wound up happening is I forgot I didn't know how to play something. In other words..... when I was practicing everyday I'd know exactly what I could and could not play. But after a hiatus I forgot what I thought I could play and couldn't play and could ramble of runs that when I was practicing everyday I couldn't simply because my brain was saying "You don't know how to play that yet." Listening and rolling it around in my head..... knowing it in my thoughts is one of the best methods of practicing I've ever stumbled upon.

Now don't get me wrong.... in the early stages I think it's crucial. But after playing for 30 plus years I think it becomes a bit of a hindrance. You trick yourself into limitations whereas using your head to grasp something and THEN grabbing your guitar and just "doing it" is an enlightening approach. It may just be my own craziness...... but I was just replying to the question that was posed.

Not sure if that makes sense..... but at this point in my journey it's kind of eye (ear) opening.

That being said......lately I've been playing my ass off.

User Info Menu

Segovia said, if I miss a day I know, if I miss two days my wife knows, if I miss three days everyone knows.

User Info Menu

I've pretty much always felt not "OK, I've got to practice" but rather, "Hey! I get" to practice!"

User Info Menu

I don't practice daily but I play Old Standards every day. I have a preferred list of old Standards that I play for 2-4 hours daily. The list is about 300 songs so I select different sets (10 songs) daily. I have found that I learn best on the stage playing with other people but my home is located in a small town about 2 hours north of Phoenix, Az. so there are only a few jazz oriented musicians to play with here. Old Standards are my best alternative to my lack of people to play with.

wiz (Howie)