The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    So maybe I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I am curious about one thing I see many players refer to. Why does ass kicking or mind blowing seam to be so important? I get it from a straight entertainment point of view, but from a sheer love for a music those attributes are not important. I believe some musicians could care less about pushing boundaries and enjoy playing what they like.
    My reference to this only meant to point out that new jazz being made today is incredible at all levels. For some that is about the cutting edge, for others it might be dixieland, big band swing, bebop, or lounge. People will find that whatever their taste is, it is a golden age for making jazz, as opposed to saying jazz is dying.

I think jazz as a genre needs to include a progressive element pushing it forward. Change is part of it's tradition. That does not invalidate the past, because that is also part of the tradition.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    So, for 7 years I was in an attempted jazz quintet. We were/are all pretty much hacks, but nice guys to hang out with. The subtext here is that I actively dislike playing gigs for a variety of reasons. The social aspect kept me in the band longer than the musical aspect should have, and we ended the band after a particularly heinous gig. Bands have a shelf life, it seems.

The sax player from my old band contacted me in somewhat desperate straits. He has a new band, his regular guitarist has a hand injury and his regular pianist is unavailable. He knows I don't want to gig but asked if I'd fill in on a one-time basis. I said OK- he's a really nice guy and I like him a lot. So tonight I am running through the set list in advance of rehearsal. It's all Real Book stuff, mostly show tunes and 30s-40s pop. I discovered something- I really dislike playing most of that stuff. I find them insipid and boring. I hate the predictable cycles of ii-V-I slogging around the circle of 5th (or 4ths, whichever tickles your fancy). The Real Book tunes that are "jazz" tunes are mostly fine, they have turns and surprises. But I hate playing 70-80 year old show tunes. All The Things You Are makes me want to retch. I am surprised by how strong my feelings are on this.

So, since these old moldy figs are the repertoire of jazz- does that mean I really can't consider myself a jazz guitarist? People like Bill Evans and Pat Metheny talk about jazz as a process or an approchnrather than a repertoire, but... Go to almost any gig and these tunes are what is played. These are the songs jazz musicians call on the bandstand because they are the lingua franca of jazz. And I just hate playing them. Probably just as well I don't enjoy gigging and won't ever end up on stage with real jazz musicians anyway...
    I felt similarly when I started playing jazz. Over the years my appreciation of the standards rep has deepened, both from appreciating them as compositions, but also vehicles for improvisation.

Life is ultimately too short to spend time playing stuff you don’t like. And why label yourself? No one gives a shit about jazz really, in the wider world.

OTOH if you know what you don’t like, then perhaps it would be a more positive move to find something you really like doing.

User Info Menu

Can't disagree with any of the above, except maybe the dire predictions that jazz is dying and no one cares about it.

Of course you have to make yourself happy first and foremost in any walk of life. Many times you can find a way to do that even in a less than ideal situation.

Our band has been together about 5 years. We have different iterations with or without drums, plus or minus our sax player. It started as a singer's band, and that's pretty much the way it has remained, though we stretch out a bit more these days. I still love those old songs like ATTYA and Satin Doll--the melody and chord changes are just so well-crafted. When you have a singer who can bring out the swing in those old standbys, what's not to like?

(The "first" jazz song I learned to play finger style was ATTYA, so I have a great sentimental attachment to that one, and it never gets old.)

On the other hand, a few audience favorites like L-O-V-E and That's Adore' are pretty boring--hard to dress up too much, or maybe I'm just not creative enough to do so.

We are constantly expanding our repertoire--the other night we had my fiancee's daughter sing with us, and her idea of classic repertoire is White Rabbit and Amy Winehouse, so I guess we'll try something new. She has a great and big voice, she's just a shy singer and has to be coaxed to belt it out.

Anyway, bottom line, life's too short to do something you don't like. Figure out a way to change things up. Good luck!
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 12-22-2017 at 10:28 AM.

User Info Menu

RE: Jazz is dying

First of all, this is directed at no one in particular, because it's gonna be mean, but hey, it's the holidays, and it's time to air grievances.

If your whole CD collection is dead people and you haven't gone out to see any live music this year, you don't get to lament that jazz is dying, because you're the one killing it.

User Info Menu

I think there are some good possibilities for solo versions of Grateful Dead tunes.
    Best wishes for the Terrapin arrangement!

User Info Menu

Ah, nice PK! Good choices for a jazz take, those tunes have great changes.

User Info Menu

I love the old tunes, but...

I don't call myself a jazz guitarist for many reasons, but mostly because I have too much respect for jazz musicians. The more I think about it, maybe I shouldn't call myself a guitarist. ...OK, I'm a guitar owner.

User Info Menu

Time is short play what you love

User Info Menu

Jazz maybe dying, but it will never be Dead, and for that I'm Greatful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    My reference to this only meant to point out that new jazz being made today is incredible at all levels. For some that is about the cutting edge, for others it might be dixieland, big band swing, bebop, or lounge. People will find that whatever their taste is, it is a golden age for making jazz, as opposed to saying jazz is dying.

I think jazz as a genre needs to include a progressive element pushing it forward. Change is part of it's tradition. That does not invalidate the past, because that is also part of the tradition.
    CG, there are some amazing musicians doing stuff in what might considered the jazz realm. It's not necessarily traditional- whatever that means. The "jazz is dying" aspect is the financial part of it. Brilliant musicians playing for tips (which is really busking indoors- they might do better at the bus station or train station or on a street corner than in most clubs) in cities around the world.

User Info Menu

I don't think any kind of music will ever "die". I mean, there are still people playing medieval music on period instruments.

What I am saying is that it is very unlikely that jazz will become any more popular than it is right now (not withstanding the occasional fad like the 90s swing revival), and in all probability will become less popular.

That doesn't mean that there aren't people making viable artistic contributions. But it does mean that their work will only be heard by a relatively small audience.

Obviously, that sucks for the pros, but personally, I'm fine with it. I like the fact that I can get front row seats for Scofield without even trying, or that if I get lousy seats, they're still pretty good because the place is tiny. I like the fact that Stern will hang out at his merch table and chat with fans. The average fan isn't going to have that kind of access to a rock guy of similar stature.

I also like the fact that the people at those shows are actually paying attention. Sure, probably 90% of them are guitarists. So what? It's not like the U2 show I went to, where everyone around me was either talking or looking at their phones.

And, if I'm honest, I like the fact that when you meet another jazz fan, you have a bit of an instant bond, because they "get it." It's sort of like being a hipster, except I don't have to worry that the obscure thing I'm into is going to become mainstream.*

*(Q: Why did the hipster burn his mouth? A: He drank his coffee before it was cool.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Jazz maybe dying, but it will never be Dead, and for that I'm Greatful.
    Interesting Repertoire Discovery - Can I Even Be a Jazz Guitarist?-jazz-dead-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    CG, there are some amazing musicians doing stuff in what might considered the jazz realm. It's not necessarily traditional- whatever that means. The "jazz is dying" aspect is the financial part of it. Brilliant musicians playing for tips (which is really busking indoors- they might do better at the bus station or train station or on a street corner than in most clubs) in cities around the world.
    There’s perhaps more highly trained musicians than ever before.

However, I think this has resulted in a trend towards more and more complicated music.

Someone whose musical values are aligned with up front complexity might not be interested in show tunes or dance music aspects of the music.

Myself, I would regard those aspects - especially the latter- as of central importance to what constitutes the jazz tradition.

But that is not the thing that first attracted me to the music - that would have been Zappa, Holdsworth and Coltrane. The improvisation, musical complexity and so on.

One thing I think is very special is the way jazz musicians - be they trad guys or contemporary players - can play some tunes together and establish a common ground. This to me is a really important part of what jazz is - and one really fun thing, that initial conversation.

And while longer term relationships in bands and projects are ultimately the deepest connections, there’s something very fun about musically meeting new people - at least for me. Other people might be different.

One the of vital roles of standards repertoire is the way it allows that connection to be made, and it’s something I miss when jamming with rock guys etc. It’s good to play a song with a melody, and if we lose that, I think we have lost a core aspect of jazz musicianship.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    I think there are some good possibilities for solo versions of Grateful Dead tunes.
    Best wishes for the Terrapin arrangement!

Very cool! Great voicings!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Interesting Repertoire Discovery - Can I Even Be a Jazz Guitarist?-jazz-dead-jpg
    ^^^ Jazz ain't Dead, it just smells Phishy

User Info Menu

HOOGY Carmichael?????

User Info Menu

BS, Scott, you're a fine player!!

User Info Menu

Is it tiresome to listen to Peter Bernstein play the so-called tired, old standards? If you think yes, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Which is fine.

User Info Menu

Cunamara,
    You are alive right now but you are going to die someday. Don’t spend the time that you have doing what you don’t want to do, playing music that you might think “is important” but doesn’t touch you heart. You may work at a job and do something you have no passion for because you are meeting real world needs. Play the music that you love and makes you smile.