The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

I still have perhaps a bit less than half of the vinyl collection I accumulated over my formative years until grudgingly shifting my new music purchases to CD (about four years after the format’s commercial introduction). Probably a couple hundred albums. The ones I let go of were either music I had gotten out of my system or that I had duplicated on CD and at some point didn’t see the need to hold on to the vinyl. The most precious of my vinyl collection, which includes all the classical, jazz, and my favorite pop/rock through the early 80’s, is still intact. I have a Technics SLQ-2000 that dates from whenever the hell that model was originally released. It had the original cartridge and stylus (easily 35+ years old with literally tens of thousands of hours of wear) until about two months ago when I upgraded them. I have access to a very good microscope at my work, and inspected the stylus tip on the old cartridge when I removed it, and compared it to the new one. I couldn’t detect much evidence of wear, but there was some corrosion on the metal bits. It still sounded fine - I just wanted to see what improvement I might hear from a new cartridge. (It’s a bit ‘livelier’ than the old one - worth the investment but not a quantum leap.) I still have my Technics receiver and a nice pair of Polk bookshelf speakers. All but the turntable are in storage but I’m moving back to my house in September and cannot wait to have my stereo reassembled. I have a few new (to me) jazz guitar albums I can’t wait to spin up and listen to through the Polks. For now if I want to listen to the subset of my vinyl that’s with me in the apartment, I use headphones or play through my Yamaha THR-10C.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Vinyl, bah....original hi-fi was recorded on tape, now mostly digital. It's just an audio transfer to vinyl, not a mechanical duplication. I was raised on it, but you listen to it a lot casually it pops and crackles because every time you play it, it degrades. I'm not into maintaining a music playback laboratory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Vinyl, bah....original hi-fi was recorded on tape, now mostly digital. It's just an audio transfer to vinyl, not a mechanical duplication. I was raised on it, but you listen to it a lot casually it pops and crackles because every time you play it, it degrades. I'm not into maintaining a music playback laboratory.
    One of the main benefits of CD, which I appreciate, is the lack of media degradation as a result of use. I was lucky enough to have someone teach me about proper handling of albums at an early age (it’s really pretty simple and becomes habit quickly), and as a result my vinyl collection is fairly pristine. I always get complements when I take a handful down to the record store to sell. Still, I find the background audio anomalies of vinyl somehow soothing. It takes me back to my early years of music listening and comforts me.

User Info Menu

I don't buy the "vinyl sounds better" thing, but I still have about 200 of my favorite albums from my misspent youth left, in pristine condition, luckily, and my old B&O turntable. Once in a while I'll give one a spin and take a trip down memory lane. I think I actually like the artwork as much or more. I designed an album frame many years ago and a good buddy, who's into woodworking, built a few and gave me one. It hangs in my den now and I'm constantly rotating albums through it. (Currently it has Neil Young's Time Fades Away in it.)

Vinyl fans anyone?-time-fades-away-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues

Who has a good repertory of vinyls? What kind of vinyl player do You use?
    I threw away all of my vinyl because they don't fit in my phone. I'll take a BIG hit in fidelity for transportability.

As of now I have some 80 gigs and 14,000 tunes ripped from my CD collection (backed up a half dozen times off line) with some 170 gigs left for expansion on a little memory card as large as my pinky/pinkie nail. Vinyl can't (for me) touch that.

User Info Menu

I was explaining to my guitar teacher, a very nice young man who is eking out a living playing and teaching jazz guitar, about buying a record back in the day, and if you didn’t like it, well dammit, you kept playing until you did. None of this streaming business where you listen to something for 30 seconds and then look for something else.

I still have some of my vinyl. There have been a few purges over the years, but I’ve still got some LPs. Unfortunately, my wife’s Elton John records also survived.

I have a Rega Planar tt that I found for $5 in a thrift store, running into a 30-year old Linn int amp and a modern pair of PSB speakers. I like the records, but I like my CDs, downloads, and streaming too. It’s all good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    >>SNIP<<Unfortunately, my wife’s Elton John records also survived.>>SNIP<<
    That reminds me of a vinyl story...

Some time in the 90's my ex had a few remaining LP's (among others, Traffic's John barleycorn must die and Chicago Transit Authority) that we had not duplicated on CD and she asked me to get her a record player so she could play them.

Well I got one, hooked it up and after a few weeks with her playing them quite a bit I asked her how she liked the record player, and she said she was loving it but she thought the records were a LOT longer... Being a big CD owner I asked her if she was playing the "B" side... she said, "WHAT B side"?

We tossed the LP's, donated the player and found her missing LP's on CD format. That was a Paradigm shift for her there :-) :-)

User Info Menu

How'd I ever miss this thread!

VINYL? But of course! And you're right, the dynamics etc. etc. are far and above what one will find on digital. I've some 500 albums, and buying more all the time.

I'm using a Marantz TT15S1 turntable which came with a $900 Clear Audio Maestro stylus. Very good setup for $1500. Gets you 95% there. Of course one can spend their shirts off attempting to gain that last 5%.

Vinyl rules - Still!

edit - and btw...clean those old records and get them nearly 100% clear of those clicks and pops with a VPI 16.5 record cleaner. Best investment I ever made. VPI has been producing the 16.5 or some version of it for some 30 years. See the review below.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-13-2020 at 07:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Finally upgraded my 5 year old entry level Audio Technica turntable. It got a ton of use and did its job, but I am looking forward to the upgrade. While Prime and 2 day delivery was tempting when no one locally could get it, I decided to order one of these out of a indie shop in NYC. It should deliver next week.

Debut Carbon (DC) – Pro-Ject Audio Systems

User Info Menu

Love vinyl, it's the best!

I don't have a super huge collection, but a few hundred at least. Mainly Jazz (love those gatefolded Impulse Coltrane albums) , pop and metal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    I don't buy the "vinyl sounds better" thing, but I still have about 200 of my favorite albums from my misspent youth left, in pristine condition, luckily, and my old B&O turntable. Once in a while I'll give one a spin and take a trip down memory lane. I think I actually like the artwork as much or more. I designed an album frame many years ago and a good buddy, who's into woodworking, built a few and gave me one. It hangs in my den now and I'm constantly rotating albums through it. (Currently it has Neil Young's Time Fades Away in it.)
    Over the past month I've been listening to vinyl every day. In most cases, albums I also have in digital. My digital rig is endgame (Resonessence Invicta) and I'm listening to lossless ripped from my CDs. My vinyl rig is not endgame (TT is very good but phono pre-amp is the built-in MC of my Yamaha AS2100; cartridge is modest Hana SL MC). The vinyl sounds better across all albums. The difference is like MP3 vs. CD - mostly in the depth and height of the soundstage. The Bill Evans trio albums are great examples of this, but Coltrane's Blue Trane had it too (and a bunch of others). If I had my speakers right up against the wall then I might not notice these things but mine are pulled out a healthy amount (about 20" from back wall and more from side walls). I wonder about the speaker placement of those who don't feel vinyl sounds better - and also if they're on MM or MC.