The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

I'm listening to a the Paul Meyers/Frank Wess CD today. Highly recommended:
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-25-2017 at 04:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

rirhett, I'm curious about the guitar pictured in the top left corner of your message. From you post it sounds like you are luthier. There is a luthier who makes guitars like that. I bought a Bluebird made by him years ago. Best guitar I ever had. Are you him?

User Info Menu

I have an nylon archtop, which are quite rare. When so many jazz guitarists strive for warmth, a nylon seems an obvious choice. They do, however, require adjustments to technique and don't have the subtle nuance or dynamics of steel strung instruments. You can't dig in, bend, apply percussion as much. Having one adds an extra string to your bow. I've found they are easier to record that steel stringed acoustics/flat tops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vsaumarez
    rirhett, I'm curious about the guitar pictured in the top left corner of your message. From you post it sounds like you are luthier. There is a luthier who makes guitars like that. I bought a Bluebird made by him years ago. Best guitar I ever had. Are you him?
    Yes, I make nylon string archtop guitars, but no I didn't sell you one. Nylon strings impart less energy to the top than steel strings. It wasn't until I worked out how to build a composite carbon fiber soundboard that I could make something that truly works. My composite soundboards are about a third of the mass of the carved spruce top guitars I've made, with similar deflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

that's the touch of nylon:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Yes, I make nylon string archtop guitars, but no I didn't sell you one. Nylon strings impart less energy to the top than steel strings. It wasn't until I worked out how to build a composite carbon fiber soundboard that I could make something that truly works. My composite soundboards are about a third of the mass of the carved spruce top guitars I've made, with similar deflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's your avatar picture that made me curious. The luthier I bought from made a very similar looking guitar. His name is Andy Manson, and is a highly respected guitar maker ...a genius some might say. Here's the guitar.
    Jazz on nylon string crossover-black-face-arch-top-1-18-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vsaumarez
    It's your avatar picture that made me curious. The luthier I bought from made a very similar looking guitar. His name is Andy Manson, and is a highly respected guitar maker ...a genius some might say. Here's the guitar.
    Jazz on nylon string crossover-black-face-arch-top-1-18-jpg

A beautiful guitar, no doubt. However, I believe that is spruce dyed black. Not carbon fiber.

User Info Menu

Just found this Thread while googling for nylon jazz guitars and decided to register to the forum (though I know it's from 3 years ago).

I also play mostly nylon-strings (Hanika CutPro PF Option), classical pieces and Jazz, after playing lots of fingerstyle and folk on my steelstring for many years.
    Before playing Jazz on my nylon-string I worked on an Hollowbody (Di Armond) but the warmth and possibilities for expression are way better on a nylon string in my opinion.

Mostly do chord-melody-arrangements and comping while singing on standards.

I haven't tried using a pick on my classical, but will try for soloing (which I am just learning - using the "learning jazz guitar"-ebook from this site, btw)

Greetings from Germany

User Info Menu

Hi, I've just joined this great forum as I saw this thread while researching. I'm currently building a nylon string crossover guitar of my own design. This is the culmination of my progression through many classical and flamenco builds. It's what I've been working towards for some time. I'll soon have the guitar completed to pre-finishing and will string her up then as I can't wait to try her.

Regards,
    Paul

Jazz on nylon string crossover-img_20200811_175344-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks unique, keep us posted!

User Info Menu

Thanks! I started a thread now for this build in The Builder's Bench section, I'll post some more after 1st assembly.

User Info Menu

Nice to see this thread revived. I've been using a Carvin CL450 for several years now. I love it. But would love to find something with a slightly thinner neck and string spacing at the bridge.

The Carvin Museum - CL450 Series Guitars

User Info Menu

I'm building this with a 45mm nut width, about as thin as I go with nylon strings, and a 20" radius fingerboard. A wide C profile, 20mm at the nut to 23mm at #10. A 2 way truss rod, mortise and tenon set neck.

Honduras mahogany, European spruce and ebony.

I'm building this one for myself, as its a new design and I have the opportunity to iron out any wrinkles and make moulds and templates etc.
    She's called Celeste, I hope to build many more of her. I can build the neck to spec.Jazz on nylon string crossover-img_20200913_155832-jpg
    Last edited by Paul Barefoot Goddard; 09-13-2020 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

lovely lovely lovely, I’d give up my remaining traditional classical body for one of these (with a 50mm nut and other neck-related conversations).

Keep us in your loop, add me to your mail list if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Barefoot Goddard
    I'm building this with a 45mm nut width, about as thin as I go with nylon strings, and a 20" radius fingerboard. A wide C profile, 20mm at the nut to 23mm at #10. A 2 way truss rod, mortise and tenon set neck.

Honduras mahogany, European spruce and ebony.

I'm building this one for myself, as its a new design and I have the opportunity to iron out any wrinkles and make moulds and templates etc.
    She's called Celeste, I hope to build many more of her. I can build the neck to spec.Jazz on nylon string crossover-img_20200913_155832-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks! I will, this is a very exciting build..