The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 79

User Info Menu

haha good one!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Around here, bowling shirts and fedoras are normal up on stage.
    I play jazz wearing a white dress shirt, jacket, tie, and wingtips.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Around here, bowling shirts and fedoras are normal up on stage.
    ouch...

User Info Menu

way to go:

Jazz Clothes-9c474fdb-7cd5-4d0b-ab0b-dd757accbc44-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoReply
    Jazz casual works for me.

Attachment 32607

Dig our Joey P. in a rugby shirt and a stogey!

User Info Menu

Well, I wore this outfit specifically for this DIY video...figured I'd be a bit dressier than usual

about the sounds: I wrote the tune, played guitar (duh), piano, and bass guitar. The drums were a drum track from youtube--which is way more fun (and 'real') than playing with a drum machine. I also added some extra drumming, playing brushes on a cymbal and a Rhythm Tek 'Laptop' snare drum.

The recording was made on a little Tascam digital 8-track 'pocket studio.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by janepaints
    Well, I wore this outfit specifically for this DIY video...figured I'd be a bit dressier than usual

about the sounds: I wrote the tune, played guitar (duh), piano, and bass guitar. The drums were a drum track from youtube--which is way more fun (and 'real') than playing with a drum machine. I also added some extra drumming, playing brushes on a cymbal and a Rhythm Tek 'Laptop' snare drum.

The recording was made on a little Tascam digital 8-track 'pocket studio.

That was. Fucking. Bitchin.

User Info Menu

What brand of Cigar?

Quote Originally Posted by NoReply
    Jazz casual works for me.

Attachment 32607

User Info Menu

the hippest of the hip..old school

cheers

User Info Menu

So many times I've watched concerts with friends from the cinema, theatre, or dance world, and they always notice the way the musicians are dressed, move, stage presence etc.. often they comment pretty negatively about it. At the same time, I'll be in total ecstacy from the music I've just witnessed.

So I guess I really like the fact jazz is one of the few styles of music where you can dress however you like and go play a major festival. The way it should be really, where music is about music, fashion is about fashion, and so on.

User Info Menu

It's been reported that Benny Goodman's initial refusal to hear charlie Christian play was due to his appearance...

'white stetson, yellow cowboy boots, a green suit and a purple shirt'

Not sure if the lack of a photographic record is a good or a bad thing...

User Info Menu

It doesn't all have to be suits and ties, but (formerly) normal adult clothes do complement the look of the instruments used in jazz, as well as most of the material that is played. A 50y-old in ripped workpants, sandals and a sportsjersey blowing on a shiny plumbing contraption is a somewhat ridiculous, unattractive sight. To girls, that is; though I don't know if men dress to catch girls' attention. But put that man in a suit or even just a Fred Perry shirt or roll-neck pullover and he looks fine. Oh, and get a haircut.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    It doesn't all have to be suits and ties, but (formerly) normal adult clothes do complement the look of the instruments used in jazz, as well as most of the material that is played. A 50y-old in ripped workpants, sandals and a sportsjersey blowing on a shiny plumbing contraption is a somewhat ridiculous, unattractive sight. To girls, that is; though I don't know if men dress to catch girls' attention. But put that man in a suit or even just a Fred Perry shirt or roll-neck pullover and he looks fine. Oh, and get a haircut.
    YES!! THIS!!

So many players never seem to notice that the 'greats', in any genre of music, tend to look sharp, clean, stylish....or have a distinctive visual look--it can be, in the case of punk/metal/rock etc--'ugly' or 'out there', but it's still something that grabs the eye....

When younger I played in a rock band which almost hit the top (it was analogous to playing AAA baseball with occasional call-ups to the major leagues)....when we signed with a bonafide manager, whose clients included zappa, stevie wonder and john cale, one of the first things she did was give us a serious pro-performance-tips talk...

like "ok you guys got great music, no problems there, and you're all in good shape , a buncha cute kids, but you dress like joe schmo's on stage.....audiences like to see people who got a bit of sparkle, people who look somehow special, not everyday people, so ditch the ratty t-shirts and the dirty jeans you've worn for 3 weeks, and get some smart hair styling--have some PRIDE in how you present yourself...and jane, go to pat field's boutique on 8th street, get some of her stuff, it's really great and don't cost a lot, and watch how the audience responds at the next show...etc"

and she was RIGHT....

i mean, did miles, duke, coltrane, wes, grant, almost ALL the wow-artists, ever dress/look anything less than sharp and clean when they hit the stage?....seems lots of musicians never notice that....

if ya painted a masterpiece would you put it in any old plastic frame from the dollar store?

ya know what i mean?

when you're onstage EVERYTHING counts, EVERYTHING matters...

it can be over-the-top like Sun Ra, or jazz-fusion-era Miles/Weather Report...but it still got STYLE...

User Info Menu

Say what??

User Info Menu

would this be a good time to bring up the Naturist jazz festival we have here in the UK?

User Info Menu

would this be a good time to bring up the Naturist jazz festival we have here in the UK?
    No, it wouldn't.

where is it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    way to go:

Jazz Clothes-9c474fdb-7cd5-4d0b-ab0b-dd757accbc44-jpg
    Now that's what I call jazz clothes. I'm too short to wear a suit like that. I got the bebop beret and the beatnik turtleneck.

User Info Menu

Best advice I ever got concerning dressing up for gigs was that you should always be dressed in a way that shows that you reflected on the fact that you'll be on stage.
    (Got that advices from a weird Freejazz Trombone player though, who usually looks pretty "casual" on stage to put it nicely)

With my Swing Band we take a lot of care on our wardrobe, because it's part of our business to sell the complete "vintage-package", especially when we're doing dance events. We invested in some Tweed suits a while back, and actually "looking the part" directly increased our booking rate. I really don't know if things should be like that, but it certainly is the way it is.

Paul

User Info Menu

Backstage before the gig:

During the brake:

On stage:

User Info Menu

I think Little Jay and his group are doing it exactly like you should!

This is my Band pre-gig:
    Jazz Clothes-img-20190317-wa0002-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I think Little Jay and his group are doing it exactly like you should!

This is my Band pre-gig:
    Jazz Clothes-img-20190317-wa0002-jpg
    Looking sharp!

Yeah funny enough the suits work really well for us, it sticks to people! (Well okay, having a good looking singer that makes you forget the old geezers in the suits helps too I guess....)

User Info Menu

Jazz Clothes-annotation-2020-02-21-175141-reduce-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

For the last couple of decades, the trend seem to be dressing down or at least not dressing up for the stage. I suppose that on the one hand, it lends a certain air of familiarity (even intimacy) by not putting on a stage "uniform", there's something to be said for projecting that it's the same person on and off stage. but it does look a little scraggy
    Jazz Clothes-unnamed-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    ”Men” who are interested in attracting “girls” are predators! Men seek women. I know you didn’t mean it that way, and it’s still frequently stated as you put it, but it really is, however unintentionally, sexist and derogatory. Would any of us guys like to be introduced at a new job as “ the new boy” in accounting or the machine shop? This is not directed at you Zina, but for all of us guys here. I am aware of this sort of thing because 4 decades ago I was politely spoken to by a woman who pointed out the difference to me.
    Btw, completely agree with your thoughts on clothes. I wouldn’t wear ripped pants and sandals in the privacy of my own home, let alone in any public place.