User Info Menu

Have you seen this article from Prez' ?

Jazz Clothes-9fce21abd81264bae49ac02a798d3e39-761x1000x1-jpg

User Info Menu

How's this?

Jazz Clothes-282f3ox-jpg

Ignore the reflected arm ...

User Info Menu

Dress to show respect to the music and the audience.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguitars09
    So now that we've established the clothes you wear have something to do with being "jazz" (think grateful dead thread)..

What are some must have items of clothing one should be wearing if they want to be considered more jazz?
    I think a sport coat or suit is necessary. Perhaps a tie worn loosely with collar unbuttoned.

User Info Menu

Dress like Miles...He always looked cool, no matter what he wore to the gig.

User Info Menu

In the UK, wear socks with sandals and a washed out jazz festival t shirt.

If you are a contemporary jazz guitarist, you must absolutely wear a wooly hat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you are a contemporary jazz guitarist, you must absolutely wear a wooly hat.
    Ugh. I hate seeing guys in knit hats in the Summer. Cooking their brains for fashion. (Plus, when the zombie apocalypse happens, they'll get eaten first because their brains are roasted to a delicious golden brown.)

User Info Menu

I'll stick with my fedora. Pork pies are for eating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguitars09
    So now that we've established the clothes you wear have something to do with being "jazz" (think grateful dead thread)..

What are some must have items of clothing one should be wearing if they want to be considered more jazz?
    Around here, they seem to favor dressing up a little, (shirt and tie, maybe a jacket) when playing traditional Jazz. The younger folks seem to prefer long sleeve shirts with the shirt tail out and maybe with sleeves rolled up, while the ladies always seem to wear dresses.
    Attached Images Attached Images Jazz Clothes-scat-4-jpg Jazz Clothes-scat-3-jpg Jazz Clothes-scat-2-jpg Jazz Clothes-scat-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoReply
    Jazz casual works for me.

Attachment 32607
    Haha amazing picture man

User Info Menu

As for the 'stache, I still remember a command sergeant-major in the 82d Airborne, who had jumped into Normandy on D-Day, saying in about '72, after 30 years in the Army, "Just as soon as I get old enough, I'm going to grow me a mustache and get me a tattoo". I plan to do so myself, just as soon as I get old enough.

User Info Menu

Here is a stylish nylon-string player:

Jazz Clothes-spock-jpg

User Info Menu

Jazz Clothes-image-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

Attachment 32672

sorry, i couldn't resist..but god knows i love ted greene..one of the true greats
    Shirts optional? I know I'm not a jazz guy, but...

User Info Menu

Hmmm. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that you can wear... just about anything? However, if you wanna stand out, you're probably gonna need to wear one thing: guitar-face!

Jazz Clothes-image-jpg

Jazz Clothes-metheny_guitar-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah but he cleaned up nicely...

Attachment 32672

sorry, i couldn't resist..but god knows i love ted greene..one of the true greats

(and a guild guitar man!)

cheers
    I have never seen this pic, its really great that you posted it here. I have that guitar now and I had never seen a pic of Ted playing it till now. thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    I have never seen this pic, its really great that you posted it here. I have that guitar now and I had never seen a pic of Ted playing it till now. thanks
    cool!! so happy the guitar's still in great hands!

cheers

User Info Menu

Cool man...can you dig it?

Jazz Clothes-barneykessel-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    I'm trying to guess from the choice of beverage who plays what.

Wine = guitar + bass
    Beer = drummer
    Tea (or ceoffee) = keys

Am I close ?

If wearing suits and ties, you guys should also agree whether the top button remains fastened or unfastened !
    My guess :
    Beer : guitar
    Wine : bass and drums
    Tea : keys

and a pina colada for the singer ?

User Info Menu

What if it is not tea but coffee? Could be the drummer nursing a hangover from the night before. Don't worry, he will switch to rye and coke before the end of the gig!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead
    What if it is not tea but coffee? Could be the drummer nursing a hangover from the night before. Don't worry, he will switch to rye and coke before the end of the gig!
    Hahaha, great reactions!

I will reveal the beverages :-)

From left to right:
    Bass player drinking coffee (in Europe men don't drink tea in a bar ;-)
    Drummer drinking wine
    Guitarplayer (me) having a beer
    Sax player also a wine

So, close but no cigar

But I will say that it was a gig in a wine bar, so of course the musicians feast on expensive wine that they normally can't afford. Bass player might indeed have nursed a hangover

Sax player and red wine is not a good combination we found out. Fortunately no problems while he was playing, but we had to carry him to the car that night!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rowland
    Cool man...can you dig it?

Jazz Clothes-barneykessel-jpg
    Yep -

but not if that's a cravat.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtfree
    Here is a stylish nylon-string player:

Jazz Clothes-spock-jpg
    "This is what you humans call E ... fascinating "