Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

There used to be a music shop in Soho (London) called Andy's, much beloved of pro musicians. I picked up a beat-up old Martin, strummed it, and BOOM! The sound echoed round the room, quite extraordinary.

I asked Andy how much it was and he said 'Four grand'. This was back in 1960-something, don't forget. Turns out it used to belong to Pete Townsend.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I once played (and owned) a 1978 Benedetto 7-string, the third one he ever built, just behind Bucky's first one. I got it for cheap via an auction, and was almost afraid to play it for fear of putting a scratch on it. It had gone originally to a collector, and was in mint condition. I sold it for north of $13K, and used the profit to pay for a new roof on my house with money left over. It wasn't that great as an acoustic, probably because it had never been played much, never had a chance to open up. I don't think Bob had figured out the 7-string when he built it, because it had a nut width of 1.75", and the string spacing was pretty close. I just hope the buyer likes and plays it. I'm more comfortable with less expensive instruments, and the one I play now is a better guitar in every way although I have under $2K in it.

User Info Menu

Wayyy expensive gits, and high maintenance women I've always stayed away from not wanting the disappointment if things didn't work out and concern for the parting of ways and losing my shirt on both deals.

That said, my Tal Farlow is likely the most expensive I'd own today. Now going back to the 60's what I once had certainly makes me wish I kept some of those $500 gits which are by far the most expensive I've handled :-)

User Info Menu

The one that got away from me...

User Info Menu

A 1960 Les Paul Standard (worth about $250,000 at the time) that belonged to an ex-bandmate of Eddie Money

User Info Menu

A 1963 Gibson ES-335. But, Tuck Andress let me fondle his 1949 Gibson L5 after his show in Boston a few years ago. That thing was so light!

User Info Menu

The Fender P-Bass owned by Carl Radle that was used to record "Layla" and every great classic hit by Eric Clapton, Derek and the Dominoes, Joe Cocker, George Harrison, Leon Russell and many more legends. The value of that bass is truly "priceless". Otherwise, 1958 & 1960 Gibson Les Pauls. They sound and feel just like they should.

User Info Menu

A bunch of original D'Angelico's, upstairs at Rudy's. He was asking over 100k for one of them. I don't know the prices of the others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    A bunch of original D'Angelico's, upstairs at Rudy's. He was asking over 100k for one of them. I don't know the prices of the others.
    I played a couple of D'As at Rudy's as well. I think the prices were in the 30s. Other than that, I played an original dot neck 335 once, probably 20-ish years ago. ISTR they were asking $11k at the time. I've also played a bunch of pre-CBS Strats and Teles that nowadays would go for 5 figures. Oh, and I have the Beano Les Paul in my closet.

John

User Info Menu

Very nice sounding archtop that Gibson L10.

User Info Menu

My '06 ES-175. Listed for 5k, paid 2.6k. Worth every cent.

Whoops, almost forgot. A super fancy Gretcsh - some kind of Chet model in Nuclear Orange with gobs of abalone and super skinny frets for a gentleman I knew that had played with Hank and Chet - that he wanted me to set up for him, serial #02. #01 was Chet's. No idea of the actual price, but I suspect it was lofty. This gentleman could afford it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

An early 1950s blonde Telecaster listed in the $35,000 range that was indeed a pleasure to play.

User Info Menu

I've played two or three Stromberg Master 400's, and small handful of D'Angelicos. So, those are all $20k+.
    I think one of them might have been listed as high as $65k.

I visited Gruhn's back in August, and got to check out some of the upstairs private stash.
    The first Super 400 ever (allegedly, but likely), a couple wonderful dot neck L-5s, some 1930's D-28s, etc.

And then we went to Caters's and there was an original 1948 Selmer-style, as heard here (it's listed at $30k):

And then there was a mid 30's OOO or OM-45. That must've been a pretty penny.

User Info Menu

we must remember the market sets the price if someone is willing to pay it..does not mean there is intrinsic worth in an item..(house..car..watch etc) that being the case I have played some very expensive guitars...on the other hand..same said guitars were at one time selling for several hundred dollars..and that was considered "expensive" at the time..

seems our value system gets currupted fairly easy ... in many US cities there is a "housing crisis" and thousands of homeless living in tent cities (calcutta anyone ) and being realistic I could be one of them if the owner of my property decided to "upgrade" and build condos which sell/lease for near a million or more..now when I moved in..decades ago..300/month seemed like high rent at the time..

of course I wonder..is there a limit on artificial value..will a 25k guitar someday seem like a deal...will companies be willing to pay general office workers 100k--to start! Many cities have a cost index and how much income you would need to live there-my once sleepy beach town (CA) now lists near 80K for a single person and 140k for a couple..and that is just basic essentials (studio and one bdroom apts--yikes!)

So a basic strat that was once owned by a musician that once recorded with a famous band is selling for 50k..and there is a waiting list--so THAT could be the most expensive guitar to someone..

Lord have mercy...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    we must remember the market sets the price if someone is willing to pay it..does not mean there is intrinsic worth in an item..(house..car..watch etc) that being the case I have played some very expensive guitars...on the other hand..same said guitars were at one time selling for several hundred dollars..and that was considered "expensive" at the time..

seems our value system gets currupted fairly easy ... in many US cities there is a "housing crisis" and thousands of homeless living in tent cities (calcutta anyone ) and being realistic I could be one of them if the owner of my property decided to "upgrade" and build condos which sell/lease for near a million or more..now when I moved in..decades ago..300/month seemed like high rent at the time..

of course I wonder..is there a limit on artificial value..will a 25k guitar someday seem like a deal...will companies be willing to pay general office workers 100k--to start! Many cities have a cost index and how much income you would need to live there-my once sleepy beach town (CA) now lists near 80K for a single person and 140k for a couple..and that is just basic essentials (studio and one bdroom apts--yikes!)

So a basic strat that was once owned by a musician that once recorded with a famous band is selling for 50k..and there is a waiting list--so THAT could be the most expensive guitar to someone..

Lord have mercy...

Hey Wolf - yeah it's different in LA and NYC. I've lived there, and really love LA (or the old LA), and especially the Orange Coast. And let's face it, if you have to be homeless.... In my hot town the homeless sneak into office building parking lot air conditioned elevator areas - so that they don't die of heat stroke. In other cities they can freeze to death. So for the homeless who prefer the freedom to get loaded, LA and SoCal are good, very good.

And I agree with you about rock star solid body and semi guitars costing as much as a house. That's kind of like owning a Marilyn Monroe dress or something. It's just something for a really rich person to put in their private museum.

But an exceptionally well made, well preserved, acoustic/mostly acoustic instrument that is likewise rare... Yes, they are likely to appreciate dramatically over the decades, and even centuries.

Joshua Bell's Stradivarius cost just under $4M and he thought it worthy. (who knows who paid for the thing).

User Info Menu

A pre-war ('39?) Super 400 that belonged to my brothers neighbor. He didn't play; it had been his father's and had been played very little and had lived most of it's life in it's case. No fret wear, lacquer was virtually perfect no scratches or dings.

I have no idea what it was worth, but it was museum quality. I was actually kind of freaked out to play it.

User Info Menu

Most expensive guitar I ever played was the first one. Still paying for it sixty years later ...

User Info Menu

I've played a Benedetto, Vintage Johnny Smith's, Gibson Citation, ...I guess they were/are crazy expensive..the Benedetto and Citation were well north of 10k usd, and that being late nineties, also remember a great Guild Artist Award. I had for over a decade a Dave Patterson (Minnesota luthier in the 80s and 90s)17inch archtop patterned much after the guild with the sweet gold dearmond floater, which none of the above could hold a candle to, particularly acoustically. But I wouldn't trade my 2005 Slaman custom DS for the lot of them.

User Info Menu

My wife's classical. Made by the pair of Spanish luthiers, Hernandez y Aguado.

No, this is NOT the same as the Hernandez/Aguado factory brand. It is a handmade guitar, and the same as used by say noted classical guitarist John Williams.

Lightly damp the strings and tap the bridge, you get a B3, the B right below middle C.

It has amazing volume and is neither bright nor dark, but very balanced. The harmonic notes are amazingly loud.

Amazing instrument.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk