The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Well you know those reformed addicts who become carrot juice drinking yoga nuts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not getting annoyed when the student stumbles 10 times in 2 bars is a good test for successful meditation.
    It really works, nothing fake there. It's not like you don't give a damn.. you do, just not in a personally destructive way.
    And also, when such lesson passes and there is a few minutes time before the next, it only takes so little to do another reset.
    It's sometimes needed because it does wear off after 2-3 difficult ones. Takes more if the first meditation after waking up wasn't a good one.

Btw, I've suggested it to many people who complained having stress. But the "culty" rep is still too much for most people. Doesn't have to be like that at all.
    And don't get me wrong here - I don't do it every day. Only when there is stress at work.

And also - in my case, it never helped against stage fright. Made it even worse somehow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Not getting annoyed when the student stumbles 10 times in 2 bars is a good test for successful meditation.
    It really works, nothing fake there. It's not like you don't give a damn.. you do, just not in a personally destructive way.
    And also, when such lesson passes and there is a few minutes time before the next, it only takes so little to do another reset.
    It's sometimes needed because it does wear off after 2-3 difficult ones. Takes more if the first meditation after waking up wasn't a good one.

Btw, I've suggested it to many people who complained having stress. But the "culty" rep is still too much for most people. Doesn't have to be like that at all.
    And don't get me wrong here - I don't do it every day. Only when there is stress at work.

And also - in my case, it never helped against stage fright. Made it even worse somehow.
    First, bravo/brava for not losing it with such a student.

The highlighted point; yes, we do - all of us care - there are many inbuilt natural reactions (some remnants of a primitive need for self-preservation) but while we can't stop those natural reactions we can choose how we then respond to them. Takes practice, but what worthwhile and valuable things don't?

'Culty' - indeed. Excuses come in all shapes and forms.

Anyway, excuse the self indulgence, but there are all kinds words of beauty in the world and I believe this an example of one -

"Some things are within our power, while others are not. Within our power are opinion, motivation, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever is of our own doing; not within our power are our body, our property, reputation, office, and, in a word, whatever is not of our own doing."
    Somewhere in Enchiridion 1, courtesy of dear old Hopalong Epictetus.

The Internet Classics Archive | The Enchiridion by Epictetus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    It really works, nothing fake there. It's not like you don't give a damn..
    I think teacher expectation management helps too... If your student is 'failing' it's because you are failing to teach the person in front of you and thinking of yourself.

Interestingly, I can't think of the last time I had that situation. I don't think this is down to some improvement in my technique or my chops as a teacher, I think it's purely down to my becoming a lot more patient and willing to go slow if necessary.

I definitely remember it happening a lot with my beginners 10 years ago. Now I just don't really remember it. I don't think it happens, or if it does I just don't really notice. I aim to teach fluency over accuracy, though, that's something I am conscious of. Flow first, accuracy second; like a professional sight reading a chart. Mistakes are OK. Don't dwell on them, we'll fix them later. That way, the lesson stays moving (hopefully.)

I also like the Jeff Berlin thing when working on more difficult music - don't try to play in time until the mechanics are mastered. Such an important point, easily missed by an impatient teacher, and we are all impatient sometimes.

I see talented student sometimes get a bit bored, and then you can challenge them.

There's definitely an EM to teaching. IF you ever see virtuoso educators in action, you see that.

Not sure, though. Easy to be complacent!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    When I was bedridden and recovering from a surgery, for the first time, I felt stress that my coping skills could not fully handle
    This is what caused me to start this thread and what I found interesting and helpful about the meditation idea. I'm not bedridden, but my self-isolation basically started following a surgery in December, and that was supposed to repair a damaged nerve from a procedure in August 2018. So it's coming up on 2 years of pain and meds and 6 months stuck mostly at home.

It's wearing on me.
    Last edited by morroben; 06-24-2020 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    This is what caused me to start this thread and what I found interesting and helpful about the meditation idea. I'm not bedridden, but my self-isolation basically started following a surgery in December, and that was supposed to repair a damaged nerve from a procedure in August 2018. So it's coming up on 2 years of pain and meds and 6 months stuck mostly at home.

It's wearing on me.
    I am sorry to hear about your injury and chronic pain. That is very hard to live with - I know from firsthand experience. I hope you find a path to wellness.

joelf Guest
    Ok, now that we're one big happy family again....

F the book!!

Sorry, mood swing----no, er, regression. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Seriously, anything that can help get one out of one's 'bubble' and connecting with that higher plane where art lives, and is waiting to be plucked (no pun intended) is jake with me. Books; a few tastes, not overdone; meditating; levity to loosen---whatever one's form of communion may be I can dig it. There are many impediments to the space where it flows---where the music plays us. I struggle with it regularly, and am grateful for the solitude and additional 'ideation' option composing affords. It's just you and the muse then, even if said muse is reluctant at times (and that's as often b/c we're not tuning in). Performing with and before people presents a whole other set of challenges----but joys too, when connected in that way that supersedes the small i.

I want us all to get there. Once achieved, there's no turning back. Gotta keep trying and thinking right...

Scott Henderson highly recommends that book.
    As for me? It helps to know that the audience doesn’t hear one tenth of what you do so there is a lot of leeway to mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It might be a good book/approach or it might not. But make no mistake, the title is pure marketing gimmickry.

Kind of like "easy weight loss, double your money, no hassle mortgage, five easy payments", or whatever. Or for that matter Mickey Bakers Complete Course in Jazz Guitar.

None of those things are easy, hassle free, or complete. Mastery of almost anything worthwhile is the furthest thing from effortless. Think of how many jazzers there are. Then think how many are genuine "masters" of improv. Then read their bios and how they became that way.

User Info Menu

I think some are confused about the title.

His definition of mastery is to play effortlessly.

At no point does he say the book or method are effortless or easy. Quite the opposite.

User Info Menu

The overview of this book sheds a bit of light on what Werner was trying to address in this 24 year old book. Today with assembly line jazz academia, it seems more relevant than ever....

Effortless Mastery - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

It's wearing on me.
    I am sorry to read this, but hopeful that you can push through.

It's no fun being isolated against one's will, especially due to illness or recovery. Night time was the hardest. I would wake up in the middle of the night and limp around the house. I overreacted to allergies and obstructions in my nasal passages affected my breathing - waking me up.

Its funny how now, when allergies strike, it does not bother me like it did then, with that feeling of claustrophobia.

Wishing you the best at getting your health back. I am probably at around 85%, and I will take that.

User Info Menu

At no point does he say the book or method are effortless or easy. Quite the opposite.

Fair enough. When mastery of a musical intrument has been achieved it may seem relatively effortless to play, but it's not. The masters still practice - pretty hard.

Take away that practice and let's see how effortless performing at the highest level is then.

User Info Menu

It's a great book and definitely worth reading. If you even think you might be interested, just read it. It's short and excellent. I read it when it came out, and it really helped me a lot. I didn't do any of the meditation or exercises or whatever.

As others have said, Kenny is a MFer, I've heard him live several times. He can really, really play. I saw him once give a talk at the New School maybe 20 years ago. He's salty in person, definitely kind of an old school NYC musician that isn't going to cut you a lot of slack on the bandstand. The highlight of his talk for me was his solo piano playing.

He also did the thing he does where he plays "All The Things You Are" in Ab in the left hand, and plays lines in A in the right hand. Of course, it sounded great.

User Info Menu

I avoid anything called ‘mastery' as a rule, but this sounds like a good book with a bad title.

His definition is unnecessary tautology, as it were.

Many buyers would feel cheated when they find hard work is required.

User Info Menu

This sounds like it could be applied to many things such as sport, acting along with music.

User Info Menu

I've done various 'meditative' things (including TM) and by far, the most effective is simple slow breathing. Long and slow in through the nose, long and slow out through the mouth. No stress.

It's the basis of lots of more esoteric pursuits and unlike them doesn't require you to hang out with earnest born again bankers who know better than you ever will.

I think trying to quieten the mind but saying things, albeit internally is doomed to failure - at least it was for me.

Breathing - the world inflates, the world deflates, and you relax. Eyes closed or open, then you can deal with what comes along so much better.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    This sounds like it could be applied to many things such as sport, acting along with music.
    Yeah. A classic book is the Inner Game of Tennis...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah. A classic book is the Inner Game of Tennis...
    That's a good one! I liked it better than Inner Game of Music.

User Info Menu

Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

User Info Menu

Golfing with Yoda is another classic.

User Info Menu

Does it offer any "hacks" or a "one weird trick" for covering Coltrane changes? :0

Just kidding. Things are getting pretty chippy up in here.

joelf Guest
    Not having read the book, it could be that KW is onto something, and it's as difficult as it is simple: getting past the small 'i' to connect with the stream---or whatever you wanna call it---that art flows from, and is always there to dip into. That's the good news.

I'm not the metaphysical type (I once described myself as a 'swarthy Jew from Brooklyn'), but I really do believe that the unconscious and that higher consciousness (I know: 'higher' is a Western affectation. Pick your own word) are connected in some way I could never explain. I do know---no great insight---we have a hell of a better chance 'connecting' being loose than uptight, or ego-driven, or self-absorbed. And that, as the bard said, is the 'rub'---b/c we are those things, at times or often, depending. A guy at an ashram told me 'ego's like gas for your car'. OK, so how (where) do we park the car and get on the path to art---and benefit others, too (remember them? LOL)?

I think it might be better to gently return to these thoughts and the OP topic. Please?---with the confection of your choice on top?...
    Last edited by joelf; 06-29-2020 at 10:31 AM.

User Info Menu

I just received my copy of The Jazz Musicians Guide To Creative Practicing, discussed on another thread, a book I ordered based on the extremely positive review from my teacher (which coincidentally came the day before that thread materialized). I expected that the theory material would be pretty challenging for me but was intrigued by the fact that it contains as much sidebar/anecdotal/humor/philosophical content as it does practical jazz study suggestions. The author studied under KW and gives Effortless Mastery extremely high praise. So there’s another data point.