The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 720

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Why not? He sings jazz standards, good voice, top notch musicians playing for him, still not jazz?
    Motherfucker cannot swing. Therefore not Jazz.

Why is it so hard to understand, BTW? It's obvious what jazz is.

If Swing =1 then Jazz = 1. If Swing = 0 then Jazz = 0

What the hell is wrong with people?

Islamo-belgique? Islamo-belgique? Don't make me larf.

I love a bit of world jazz fusion. I play it myself. But it's not jazz. Jazz has an identity. Concrete.

The problem is there seem to be loads of cats who do not actually swing (either by choice or necessity) and have a bit of an issue about because they know as a result what they play is not really jazz. But they still want to be identified with it for reasons unknown (but guessable).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Why not? He sings jazz standards, good voice, top notch musicians playing for him, still not jazz?
    I don't hear a jazz approach to his sound, or his band. It's not a putdown. Listen to say, Kurt Elling front a big band, then Buble. I think the difference in approach is pretty clear.

User Info Menu

(Before I start a flame war, don't take the last post on the nose or too seriously. We are debating different a priori assumptions. There's never going to be agreement here. :-))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    Brits have Allan Holdsworth, that's all you need. (well he has defected to US and lived there since the 70s?)
    Allan Holdsworth - swing = 0 therefore jazz =0. See how simple and useful my formula is?

Also he moved to the states. And he's a Yorkshireman.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Allan Holdsworth - swing = 0 therefore jazz =0. See how simple and useful my formula is?

Also he moved to the states. And he's a Yorkshireman.
    Alright, I'm gonna go listen to my favorite jazz musician, T bone walker. He swings so it must be jazz, see how flawed the formula is?

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    if i had the talent my miles davis cover band would be practicing right now. The miles movie could be very successful if the trailer is anything to go buy

"Don't call it 'jazz', man - that's some made-up word. It's social music." Looking forward this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    "Don't call it 'jazz', man - that's some made-up word. It's social music." Looking forward this!
    Miles seems to be quite a shooty and punchy man from the trailer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    if i had the talent my miles davis cover band would be practicing right now. The miles movie could be very successful if the trailer is anything to go buy

I thought they were going to go another way.
    Jazz is in desperate need of some middle-class $#@ing attitude.

User Info Menu

Alright, I'm gonna go listen to my favorite jazz musician, T bone walker. He swings so it must be jazz, see how flawed the formula is?
    Not at all, he was good mates with Charlie Christian. The main difference with T-Bone and Charlie is cultural context.

You cannot play jazz without blues, it's true (you can play blues without jazz, though.) R&B, black pop music, very closely linked to jazz up to the 60s.

According to Clapton most blues players wanted jazz gigs.
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-03-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Not at all, he was good mates with Charlie Christian. The main difference with T-Bone and Charlie is context.

According to Clapton most blues players wanted jazz gigs.
    well I guess we have to agree to disagree. maybe this is why jazz is so unpopular? because no one agrees on what the hell it is

User Info Menu

Miles seems to be quite a shooty and punchy man from the trailer.
    The middle class has feelings too.

User Info Menu

Jazz is easier understood as a verb.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Jazz is easier understood as a verb.
    as in I just jazzed myself? or I'm going to jazz you?

User Info Menu

Tubby Hayes could play the saxophone. TBH I'm not too sure about any English jazzers since then, there's a reason why if any of our lot are any good they go and live in the states...
    Peter King can play the saxophone.

User Info Menu

Michael Buble may not be a hard core jazz crooner in the sense of a Tony Bennett (or is he excluded as well), but he at least is keeping the flame burning for tunes like the one I'm linking below. Is it pop or pop jazz or jazz lite? Yes, but at least someone under the Medicare age group is listening to a classic song that has roots in the Great American Songbook and is not Justin Beaver ...er Bieber or Beyonce. Not that I would not nail Beyonce in a .....never mind.

But seriously, do we want to make "jazz" more exclusive in a certain sense than it already is or do want kids raised on bubblegum to begin to acquire a taste for caviar? Can't stand that stuff myself but....I do prefer Champagne to cheap wine.

Last edited by targuit; 02-04-2016 at 09:18 AM.

User Info Menu

well I guess we have to agree to disagree. maybe this is why jazz is so unpopular? because no one agrees on what the hell it is
    Absolutely not. I think we should fight instead. Meet me at 4pm outside the school gates tomorrow or you are a smooth jazzer. We must decide the true nature of jazz through the noble rigours of fisticuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Michael Buble may not be a hard core jazz crooner in the sense of a Tony Bennett (or is he excluded as well), but he at least is keeping the flame burning for tunes like the one I'm linking below. Is it pop or pop jazz or jazz lite? Yes, but at least someone under the Medicare age group is listening to a classic song that has roots in the Great American Songbook and is not Justin Beaver ...er Bieber or Beyonce. Not that I would not nail Beyonce in a .....never mind.

But seriously, do we want to make "jazz" more exclusive in a certain sense than it already is or do want kids raised on bubblegum to begin to acquire a taste for cavier? Can't stand that stuff myself but....I do prefer Champagne to cheap wine.

Why listen to Buble when you can have sinatra?

there's nothing wrong with those tunes but come on do something new with them, don't just reproduce the same old tune the same way

even this becomes stagnant

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Peter King can play the saxophone.

OK, yeah I'm being a bit silly.

Absolutely not. I think we should fight instead. Meet me at 4pm outside the school gates tomorrow or you are a smooth jazzer. We must decide the true nature of jazz through the noble rigours of fisticuffs.
    no pistols at dawn?

User Info Menu

no pistols at dawn?
    Not really a morning person TBH

User Info Menu

I suspect very few or zero people will watch this but in the touching possibility that someone is interested in hearing something a little more balanced and sensible from me than my normal internet tomfoolery, I think saying it is better than typing. Here it is FWIW:

I think we are guilty of being sentimental about the term 'jazz' in a way that the likes of Miles really weren't. He felt imprisoned, culturally demeaned by the term. I think the term 'jazz' is of value only in so much as it serves us as musicians in the real world. It may be useful to us, or it may not. If not we shouldn't give it a second thought.

It doesn't mean you have to stop transcribing Lester Young or Allan Holdsworth or whatever. What's so important about belonging to a club anyway?

If you play a historical form of jazz - hard bop, say - fair enough. If you are doing some new type of music, you should think about your marketing...

User Info Menu

But seriously, do we want to make "jazz" more exclusive in a certain sense than it already is or do want kids raised on bubblegum to begin to acquire a taste for cavier? Can't stand that stuff myself but....I do prefer Champagne to cheap wine.

Bublegum

User Info Menu

Derek Bailey played Body and Soul very nicely until the Qualudes kicked in. Try putting that on next time you are feeling romantic with a hot blond, assuming she is not on Qualudes too.

As for Peter King, the sax player - anybody got the transcription? Is that LUSH or what?

And Christian, for some reason my "like" button disappeared. Bublegum lll
    Last edited by targuit; 02-03-2016 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Ludes? Sounded more like acid.

Derek Bailey played Body and Soul very nicely until the Qualudes kicked in. Try putting that on next time you are feeling romantic with a hot blond, assuming she is not on Qualudes too.
    funk is for gettin funky