The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
Posts 701 to 720 of 720

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Can any of you really work while music is on in the background?
    Not work work. Creative work, like painting, yes. But grading papers, writing lesson plans, etc? Silence please.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    So what
    Fewer means “not as many.” Use fewer with countable nouns like cookies.
    Example: Cookie Monster was told to eat fewer cookies.

Less means “not as much.” Use less with uncountable nouns like milk.
    Example: Could you give Cookie Monster less milk next time?

User Info Menu

Why Isn't Jazz Popular?-dxlvngw-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guy In Lyon
    Fewer means “not as many.” Use fewer with countable nouns like cookies.
    Example: Cookie Monster was told to eat fewer cookies.

Less means “not as much.” Use less with uncountable nouns like milk.
    Example: Could you give Cookie Monster less milk next time?
    guy, its been months. I can’t care fewer about your grammer rules.

User Info Menu

Jazz is too difficult music for the average listener.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Jazz is too difficult music for the average listener.
    I honestly wonder what percentage of jazz listeners are not musicians in any way shape or form. I'd imagine it's an extremely small percentage.

It's like you have to at least play an instrument to some level to "get" why jazz is so damn fun.

User Info Menu

(Raises hand) I was enjoying jazz when my guitar skills were at the trying-to-finger-the-F-chord level. I would not deny that my listening skills have been affected by the decades of guitar playing--but listening to all kinds of music over the decades have probably contributed at least as much as whatever progress I've made as a player. In fact, I might argue that my extensive listening has improved my playing more than the other way 'round--I often find myself saying, "Oh, that's how to finger that sequence."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I honestly wonder what percentage of jazz listeners are not musicians in any way shape or form. I'd imagine it's an extremely small percentage.

It's like you have to at least play an instrument to some level to "get" why jazz is so damn fun.
    Why is it that jazz becomes music FOR MUSICIANS...?
    I guess it wasn't like that before... or it was just me who didn't pay attention to it.

User Info Menu

I guess it wasn't like that before... or it was just me who didn't pay attention to it.
    Jazz certainly had it's time where it was more widely enjoyed. Somewhere along the line it became music for musicians.

User Info Menu

I was seeking out jazz music long before I could play a pentatonic scale. Young and playing violin in symphonic orchestras I was struck but the complex and warm harmonies in jazz that I was not hearing in classical music I was subjected to at the time. I didn’t need to be a jazz musician to appreciate it.

I think as Jazz evolved, those harmonies from the ‘40s and ‘50s that are easier to listen to and dance/move to started to mingle with more experimental versions of the same in the 60’s and 70’s. Eventually the ratio of bop/modal/fusion outweighed swing and the form became more musician centric to the point of jazz musician centric.

the older tunes are still played and people do like them, but the public radio listeners have to get past the 80% of less appealing (to them) tunes being played as well.

User Info Menu

I’m not buying this idea of jazz being too hard for the hoi polloi to listen to. That’s clearly true of some jazz, but it’s also true of prog rock. What they have in common is a lack of singers.

Yesterday, Spotify fed me an Ella Fitzgerald recording of “Black Coffee.” It’s something you could have on in the background without being distracted, something you could half listen to without being overly challenged, and something you could listen closely to and be rewarded. And the lyrics:

“I’m moody all the morning
    Mourning all the night
    And in between it’s nicotine
    And not much heart to fight.”

That’s worthy of a country song.

You might say that’s Ella and there’ll never be another and you’d be right. But this album was released in 1970, when the #1 song for the year was “Bridge Over Troubled Waters.”

We live in a time when some pimply dude covered in Cheeto crumbs could become rich and famous for something he did on a DAW by himself. Then he could get richer and more famous by trash talking Rick Beato on a YouTube video he made alone. These are times of isolation. Jazz is communal.

If anyone wants to jam in Indianapolis, I’m available but not very good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I can’t care fewer about your grammer rules.
    Sorry. I thought you might be a non-native English speaker that might appreciate the information.

And it's "less" and "grammar".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuartF
    I’m not buying this idea of jazz being too hard for the hoi polloi to listen to. That’s clearly true of some jazz, but it’s also true of prog rock. What they have in common is a lack of singers.

Yesterday, Spotify fed me an Ella Fitzgerald recording of “Black Coffee.” It’s something you could have on in the background without being distracted, something you could half listen to without being overly challenged, and something you could listen closely to and be rewarded. And the lyrics:

“I’m moody all the morning
    Mourning all the night
    And in between it’s nicotine
    And not much heart to fight.”

That’s worthy of a country song.

You might say that’s Ella and there’ll never be another and you’d be right. But this album was released in 1970, when the #1 song for the year was “Bridge Over Troubled Waters.”

We live in a time when some pimply dude covered in Cheeto crumbs could become rich and famous for something he did on a DAW by himself. Then he could get richer and more famous by trash talking Rick Beato on a YouTube video he made alone. These are times of isolation. Jazz is communal.

If anyone wants to jam in Indianapolis, I’m available but not very good.
    Jazz is mainly instrumental-improvised music.I wrote about this music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EastwoodMike
    I was seeking out jazz music long before I could play a pentatonic scale. Young and playing violin in symphonic orchestras I was struck but the complex and warm harmonies in jazz that I was not hearing in classical music I was subjected to at the time. I didn’t need to be a jazz musician to appreciate it.

I think as Jazz evolved, those harmonies from the ‘40s and ‘50s that are easier to listen to and dance/move to started to mingle with more experimental versions of the same in the 60’s and 70’s. Eventually the ratio of bop/modal/fusion outweighed swing and the form became more musician centric to the point of jazz musician centric.

the older tunes are still played and people do like them, but the public radio listeners have to get past the 80% of less appealing (to them) tunes being played as well.
    What about concerts of modern jazz groups?

User Info Menu

A swing revival is very unlikely. I doubt the problem is all that modern jazz getting in the way of some good tunes. People listen to the music of their time, and the time of jazz has passed.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

i wonder if Samara Joy will do ok?Or is she gonna mostly be successful in other countries.I went a to an open mic night at a very nice winery beautiful view just right for some guy or guys to provide some nice atmosphere.The host of the open mic,a local musician told me he plays a few tunes first then lets the next guy play a few.this particular winery was small room with a out side area.So the started playing and was so loud playing rock on his ovation that looked around got my gear and said theres like 2 people in the whole place.Another very elaborate classy winery with incredible scenery the band was a nickle back cover band again very loud.I havent gotten a gig yet with solo jazz standards haha.Probably got everybody mad when i left before it was my turn 3 different times..These guys were very good at what they did.I would go see them at a concert hall.

User Info Menu

check out Samaras 'tight'!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Related to the comment of "I wonder if Samara Joy will do ok?".

I wonder if there is a percentile distribution of annual income for jazz musicians (US and EU). This would be only income only from 'jazz' (teaching, performing, recordings) and would have to exclude Covid-years (so there might not be enough data to study or pre-2020 data would have to be used).

For example: do over half make 50K a year? 80K? How many musicians make under 20K, and have to supplement their income from other sources, especially the government?

User Info Menu

interesting thought jameslovestal.i was leaning toward most below 20k then i thought wait we are talking about pros not in my category.haha my interest is to supplement my SS.cause we had a child late in life and i didnt really play the retirement game.Only blaming myself although did take big hit from 2008 i lost the heart since and was getting to old to get back into my trades.Family issues that put me in a 24/7 care giver capacity.Sorry we are not complaining were oookayy.hahaBack to your point.I guess a lot rides on those
    statistics.Connections, promoting efforts etc.