The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Posts 401 to 425 of 720

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    We are? So the "Bebop As a highest art" thread and this one should be combined I guess? Could save some disk space.
    Yeah .. The bebop thread crept in to this thread too a few posts above
    Anyway, I think 2born's point was that the Jay-z and Beyonce stuff, like so much oher stuff out there these days, is crap, or maybe I misunderstood him. If true, then it kind of goes to what I was saying about pop in general. Designed to be temporal, designed to generate cash.
    Will you teach me how to make cash generating temporal pop?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I don't think I'd like jazz as much if it was widely popular. Its kind of a special thing now, I meet someone who likes jazz and we have a bond, something in common.

Pop music isn't like that. It'd be like meeting someone and finding out they like pizza and being like "omg, thats AMAZING, I love pizza too!"

So what you're saying this, right?

A 1930s Mr. Beaumont would be like:
    Yo .. That Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong stuff .. I mean it's ok, but just pizza .... Neoclassical modernism and minimalism like Erik Satie .. That is where it's at!!

User Info Menu

I don't think I'd like jazz as much if it was widely popular. Its kind of a special thing now, I meet someone who likes jazz and we have a bond, something in common.

Pop music isn't like that. It'd be like meeting someone and finding out they like pizza and being like "omg, thats AMAZING, I love pizza too!"
    While I understand the POV here, when it comes to playing jazz, I feel differently: I have always wished that when I went to someone's house and they had a piano, or guitar (the most common instruments) or something else, I could say; hey, want to play some jazz, I have a guitar and small amp in my trunk (which I tend to do), AND they would say "yea".

Instead most people just can't play any instrumental music, jazz or no-jazz (or they only play the blues, which gets-old quickly, or they play rock that is mostly about the lyrics and playing around the lyrics). That limits any bonding, and I just love to meet people and make music with them when we have something musical in common.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    So what you're saying this, right?

A 1930s Mr. Beaumont would be like:
    Yo .. That Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong stuff .. I mean it's ok, but just pizza .... Neoclassical modernism and minimalism like Erik Satie .. That is where it's at!!
    That's a pretty good question, actually. I don't know what the answer would be.

I like jazz because I actually like it, but I never would have found it if I hadn't had the attitude of "everything on the radio sucks, I need to find my own thing."

User Info Menu

That's a pretty good question, actually. I don't know what the answer would be.

I like jazz because I actually like it, but I never would have found it if I hadn't had the attitude of "everything on the radio sucks, I need to find my own thing."

Well .. worst case you'd get passionate about early 20th century classical music ... I could imagine worse fates

User Info Menu

Will you teach me how to make cash generating temporal pop?
    If only I could, if only I could.

User Info Menu

Well .. worst case you'd get passionate about early 20th century classical music ... I could imagine worse fates
    He would only have to wait a few years, then he would discover bebop.

User Info Menu

OK Then ... Like with Marinero, we're simply talking about your boomer taste in music and ignore most past 1970 and everything past 1980.

That's cool
    lol. I said up to WH in the 90’s. Songs today aren’t made by Tower of Power or Chicago. A hit today is noise. Motown produced hits. One could recognize a hit when they heard it. What’s going on?

User Info Menu

We are? So the "Bebop As a highest art" thread and this one should be combined I guess? Could save some disk space.

Anyway, I think 2born's point was that the Jay-z and Beyonce stuff, like so much oher stuff out there these days, is crap, or maybe I misunderstood him. If true, then it kind of goes to what I was saying about pop in general. Designed to be temporal, designed to generate cash.
    Exactly. I’ve not heard a hit in 26 years. The music is so bad, I stopped listening to the radio. The Grammys? Forget about it.

User Info Menu

We're not debating pop .. We're debating race and how black musicians/artists where not afforded the same opportunities then as white musicians say Benny Goodman ... Which lead me to ask why 2bornnot2bop wasn't supportive of modern black musicians/artist now that such finally are offered a chance of both artistic and financial success

Generational difference. Kids rule pop. I’m too old to relate to what they’re doing. I appreciate that JZ is a billionaire. But today’s music doesn’t hold the same interest to me as music of the 60-70’s. Those were hits. The Beach Boys sound as good today as they ever did.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    lol. I said up to WH in the 90’s. Songs today aren’t made by Tower of Power or Chicago. A hit today is noise. Motown produced hits. One could recognize a hit when they heard it. What’s going on?

Up to somewhere in the 90s ... lol .. That actually ain't that bad

User Info Menu

I expected to hate this video (because I think Billie Eilish is actually kind of cool) but I think it actually makes some interesting points, and it is pertinent to our conversation here.

User Info Menu

Call me crazy but I think jazz is more popular than ever what with social platforms and such. I've seen and heard more jazz in the last 5 years than I had ever before. It could be that I have shown more interest?

Speaking of Big Bands, I am always drawn to Count Basie. There is just something about the arrangement of those songs..

User Info Menu

I don’t think you’re crazy, but I’ll bet if you spent just a little time searching the internet you would find there are a lot more people who like to have sex in furry animal costumes than you might have guessed before the internet.

I think it’s just easier to find jazz, jazz articles, and jazz fans now. But if being a fan means you buy the music and financially support the musicians, then the numbers show the jazz audience is shrinking, not growing.

Could be a million jazz fans out there in America (I doubt it). A million people on the internet seems like a lot to one person, especially if you’re used to just bumping into a handful of people in your real life who like jazz. But in terms of a proportion of the total music market, the number of jazz fans rounds down to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubs
    Call me crazy but I think jazz is more popular than ever what with social platforms and such. I've seen and heard more jazz in the last 5 years than I had ever before. It could be that I have shown more interest?

Speaking of Big Bands, I am always drawn to Count Basie. There is just something about the arrangement of those songs..

User Info Menu

I don’t know, but jazz is huge in Japan and parts of Europe. America, who cares, for America has never supported jazz even in the same respect as Europe. Thinking jazz should win popularity polls is backward thinking. It’s the only music I listen to except for some classical. Everyone has different tastes. Do your thing.

User Info Menu

I expected to hate this video (because I think Billie Eilish is actually kind of cool) but I think it actually makes some interesting points, and it is pertinent to our conversation here.
    Even before watching this video I had a sneaking suspicion that melody in general is rather old fashioned. Couldn't explain why but I think this video is onto something here. With the advent of hooks becoming more and more prevalent to the point where melody gets entirely replaced or barely used much and how that might have shaped modern musical understanding/taste at large (along with fast easy to use technologies).. Makes perfect sense tbh

User Info Menu

I'm done trying to be hip to today's music. It gives me the blues. That's all it can do for me.

User Info Menu

The thoroughly miserable pop music of ten years ago is now being played in the supermarket.

User Info Menu

It’s not pop’s fault that jazz isn’t more popular. Pop provides better songs and experiences.

Here are two recent pre covid jazz experiences I had.

A concert in a hotel lobby. A musician from new york marketed as one of the most important acts today. He plays trumpet very fast. Every note is staccato. His head is red because of the effort. Every song is a staccato stream of notes. The lobby is full of people, I recognize 90% of them, they are regulars, the organizers and the organizers friends. And some jazz journalists. I hold out to the end of the first set but when the staccato trumpet starts again I bail.

A concert at the main jazz café in town. One of Sweden’s main jazz guitarists. He is an awesome player. Long fast bebop lines. It’s great but after maybe 20 minutes the song sounds exactly the same, did they change songs or not? 40 minutes later of this I’m so bored. And depressed that the artist is so good yet the music so noncommittal.

I can give a list of jazz artists that truly deliver every time. But the above happens SO often.

Compare this to any experience by Radiohead, Rammstein, Björk, Beyoncé, HER etc. You can actually tell the songs apart. No comparison really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankhond
    It’s not pop’s fault that jazz isn’t more popular. Pop provides better songs and experiences.

A concert in a hotel lobby. A musician from new york marketed as one of the most important acts today. He plays trumpet very fast. Every note is staccato. His head is red because of the effort. Every song is a staccato stream of notes. The lobby is full of people, I recognize 90% of them, they are regulars, the organizers and the organizers friends. And some jazz journalists. I hold out to the end of the first set but when the staccato trumpet starts again I bail.

A concert at the main jazz café in town. One of Sweden’s main jazz guitarists. He is an awesome player. Long fast bebop lines. It’s great but after maybe 20 minutes the song sounds exactly the same, did they change songs or not? 40 minutes later of this I’m so bored. And depressed that the artist is so good yet the music so noncommittal.

I can give a list of jazz artists that truly deliver every time. But the above happens SO often.

Compare this to any experience by Radiohead, Rammstein, Björk, Beyoncé, HER etc. You can actually tell the songs apart. No comparison really.

I've said the same thing more than once too

I suspect that the death of groups that gig regularly and maybe even rehears probably is a big factor. Even if a song really need a solo from every single member of the group, what you lose is a sense of structure within the song .. Just 5 guys blowing at the top of their lungs in every tune.

I can give a list of jazz artists that truly deliver every time.

Yeah .. But many of them tend to be world class and thus tour with the same people for prolonged periods of time. Also being a group with supporting a main artist they tend to not adhere to the strict rule that every one needs to play a solo in every song. As a random example Metheny has been playing with Sanchez, Linda and Gwilym for quite a few years and they all sit out plenty of songs as solo players.

Metheny (and also someone like Sco) does cater to the not 100% jazz head part of his audience. There is going to be some out of this world blowing for 15 minutes (Question and Answer), short tunes without much soloing (He did Bright Life in a 2-3 minute version) and also tunes that are primarily about textures.

As I said before, I get it .. You need to make a living and just gigging with whoever has a gig is currently more profitable than trying to keep a group afloat.

Tho I'm not saying every group structures it's stuff nicely .. Seen many world class acts that delivered amazing concerts, but Ari Hoenig with Jonathan Kreisberg was a world class version of the bebop guitarist gig you described about. Just a constant assault with no remorse.

User Info Menu

Oh god yes. I went through a similar experience a long time ago with a solo pianist. He played a Beethoven Piece that at first seemed pleasant but later found that is not to be the case. Whenever it seems he's about to end the piece for about the 20th time he doesn't and instead goes for the same repetitive pleasant melody elliciting groans all over. Its quite frankly absurd to the point of hilarity only no one is laughing and just want the guy to finish the damn piece already. My Classical Guitar teacher was there too as part of the audience and when I took a lesson with him after the whole debacle he told me "Someone should've told Beethoven that piece was too long." If only I remember what that piece was called
    Last edited by jazznylon; 02-04-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Dutchbopper Guest

Compare this to any experience by , HER etc. You can actually tell the songs apart. No comparison really.
    I will take that "boring" bebop guitarist (Was it Andreas Oberg?) anytime and anyday over the alternatives you mentioned. Radiohead, Rammstein, Björk, Beyoncé ...? Pffff.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I will take that "boring" bebop guitarist (Was it Andreas Oberg?) anytime and anyday over the alternatives you mentioned. Radiohead, Rammstein, Björk, Beyoncé ...? Pffff.

DB

Isn't Andreas Öberg far too busy writing K-pop to do bebop gigs?

Dutchbopper Guest
    He is clever yes. Cashing in big time (and I mean really big time) and doing boring bop gigs on the side because he likes that shit. And he can do that like nobody else!

DB

User Info Menu

Which brings a second point. Jazz *is* popular, embedded in other music. Bowie, Björk, Radiohead, DAngelo... I would even say that some of the songs by these artists are jazz, with lyrics just like in the old days, but a newer sounds and perhaps more modern drumming. And the people playing on those songs are jazz musicians.

@Dutchbopper I guess you were one of the regulars at that event :-)