The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 720

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Duke Ellington was nominated for a Pullitzer music price but ended being bypassed in favor of some pop singer. Asked his thoughts of that, he said: "I thank The Good Lord for not letting me to become famous too young." He was well into his sixties by then.
    No, it was not a pop singer. The first non-classical musician to win a Pulitzer Prize for music was Wynton Marsalis (1997, for "Blood on the Fields.") Duke's year was supposed to be 1965 but no prize was given that year, or the year before. Ornette Coleman received the Pulitzer in 2007. Near as I can see, no pop singer (or musician) has yet won the Pulitzer Price for music. (I think the award is reserved for composers.) The Pulitzer Prizes

Duke Ellington was much more famous than Charles Ives, Gunther Schuller, Elliott Carter, Virgil Thomson, Steve Reich, Samuel Barber, John Adams, even Aaron Copeland. They won Pulitzers. The Pulitzer judges (then) did not consider jazz "serious" music; not that they considered pop music more "serious" or important.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 02-06-2016 at 10:41 PM. Reason: punctuation

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Please songs like ATTYA with a rock back beat and make it aurally attractive and play regularly (maybe on a live streaming platform) and you'll have a chance at growing a fan base. Uh oh, no yelling please. LOL

User Info Menu

Just got back from a week long cruise filled with geezers (including myself). They had a piano bar. Guy plays nothing but 70's on. A performer got on at Grand Cayman, he played Sammy Davis, Jr. In Vegas in a Rat Pack show, so I expected to hear some GASB tunes. He asked how many folks liked Jazz, got decent applause, then asked how many liked rock and the place exploded. So, a rock show. He did 2 Davis numbers and they were great, then back to an hour of rock and R&B. The crazy thing is, there was a 9 piece band on board and they were terrific jazz performers. They lifted the SNL theme song and changed up the melody a bit for every opening, had a great tenor player. When they had the chance to just play filler, there was great improvising going on. Last night of the cruise was Al Jardine and the Surf City All Stars. An hour and a half show, a bit of shark-jumping on a lot of numbers, but the crowd was on it's feet. Ran into Mr. Jardine on the Promenade and went to say hello, then realized I had nothing to say to him other than "Good show", so just nodded and moved on. He was looking tired and ragged.

I bet if you could find enough WWII vets still alive to fill a cruise ship, you might hear some decent jazz. Other than that, outside Manhattan, no one seems to care anymore (I don't know a lot about West Coast jazz towns). A lot of this music is 50-80 years old; no one really gives a shit about those songs anymore except folks like us. Of course, just my opinion.

User Info Menu

I don't know about that bit of Manhattan being the only place people like jazz. Philly has more jazz happening than NYC these days.

And here in Harrisburg, Steve Rudolph is still a fixture at the Hilton up on Market Square. Harrisburg also has a Friends of Jazz society and they bring big name acts through here pretty regularly.

but west of the Poconos, its nothing but cow towns, I'll give you that

User Info Menu

Good to know. I'll be in Philadelphia pretty soon so will check it out. I don't travel there often, mostly to NYC so that's pretty much what I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    Just got back from a week long cruise filled with geezers (including myself). They had a piano bar. Guy plays nothing but 70's on. A performer got on at Grand Cayman, he played Sammy Davis, Jr. In Vegas in a Rat Pack show, so I expected to hear some GASB tunes. He asked how many folks liked Jazz, got decent applause, then asked how many liked rock and the place exploded. So, a rock show. He did 2 Davis numbers and they were great, then back to an hour of rock and R&B. The crazy thing is, there was a 9 piece band on board and they were terrific jazz performers. They lifted the SNL theme song and changed up the melody a bit for every opening, had a great tenor player. When they had the chance to just play filler, there was great improvising going on. Last night of the cruise was Al Jardine and the Surf City All Stars. An hour and a half show, a bit of shark-jumping on a lot of numbers, but the crowd was on it's feet. Ran into Mr. Jardine on the Promenade and went to say hello, then realized I had nothing to say to him other than "Good show", so just nodded and moved on. He was looking tired and ragged.

I bet if you could find enough WWII vets still alive to fill a cruise ship, you might hear some decent jazz. Other than that, outside Manhattan, no one seems to care anymore (I don't know a lot about West Coast jazz towns). A lot of this music is 50-80 years old; no one really gives a shit about those songs anymore except folks like us. Of course, just my opinion.

PS:

Improvisation isn't dead. It's actually going stronger than ever. Some of the biggest grossing bands are JAM BAND bands. Dave Matthew's sidemen are full on Jazz men who explore the contemporary realm of rhythm.

Notice how Scofield literally does a full rotation on the Jam band scene and then turns right around and releases a "straight ahead Jazz" record.

I also think that since the development of Jazz was contributed to mightily by "instrumentalists", we as instrumentalists are somewhat trapped in the rhythmic forms of "the past" so to speak whereas singers are given freer reign to sing and be "jazzers" over more adventurous and/or contemporary rhythms.

Finally, please listen to this "JAZZ SINGER" (yup, read her wiki page) who has sold... 2.5 MILLION RECORDS TO DATE! Her rhythm choices literally span the early beginnings of jazz to more contemporary rhythms. Her singing is to me not much different from the people she's obviously inspired by.

All I can say is I hope instrumentalists are taking note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caro_Emerald

Last edited by West LA Jazz; 02-11-2016 at 08:27 PM.

User Info Menu

If people don't like your ultra-sophisticated, exquisitely prepared bean salad, it's probably not because they're stupid. It's probably because it doesn't taste good.

User Info Menu

Ha.
    Jazz is popular.
    It's just not as popular as 2019 "pop" music.
    It's more popular than say Ska music and Ska music is "popular".
    It's all relative. ;-)

User Info Menu

It's very popular... among jazz fans :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's very popular... among jazz fans :-)
    I’m not sure if the use of a plural is altogether justified .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    If people don't like your ultra-sophisticated, exquisitely prepared bean salad, it's probably not because they're stupid. It's probably because it doesn't taste good.
    It’s got tofu in it.

How could it fail?

User Info Menu

Btw I’m going to be putting out a couple of new recordings soon, so I’ve found this thread valuable for motivation.

User Info Menu

One reason I think is it's become too complicated for many listeners to grasp. Another is the way people live nowdays, in huge, noisy cities, stressful lives, ideal soundtrack is heavy metal, not strings and horns! Another reason is, it's good music, and music business today, same as tv and Cinema seems to have a plan promoting awful stuff.

User Info Menu

It depends on what you mean.
    If you mean less popular than for example pop/rock, it is because it is less accessable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Rhapsody in Blue is good though, have to give him that.
    An impressive, authoritative approval.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    An impressive, authoritative approval.
    Indeed. The Gershwin estate has written me a letter thanking me for the recommendation.

User Info Menu

I used to love this when I was little. This is the one that has the talking jack-o-lantern. I have a 2 almost 3 year old niece and I would love to show it to her but the blasted thing isnt on DVD WHY?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    One reason I think is it's become too complicated for many listeners to grasp.
    I would make this point slightly differently; it is because the music is too complicated and\or un-relate-able to a listener's current "place" in how they listen-to \ "process" music in their mind.

E.g. so many of my rock \ blues guitar player friends would say "I don't like jazz" with most admitting they haven't listen to much, if any. The opened-minded ones asks for direction; I don't play give them a Tal Farlow or Jim Hall album! Instead I give them Green Street by Grant Green. 90% came back with 'love that album,,, especially the tunes written by Green. DUH, since those are blues-riff-base tunes compared to the two standards on the album; Round Midnight and Alone Together. They could relate what they know to these jazz tunes, especially after we play them together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I would make this point slightly differently; it is because the music is too complicated and\or un-relate-able to a listener's current "place" in how they listen-to \ "process" music in their mind...
    This thread has been going on for a while and the topic probably has been debated for decades. I am sure that it was brought up before, but I think that the appreciation for improvisation is innate. Improvisation is by it's very nature somewhat unpredictable. Other forms of music don't have that degree of unpredictability as common place. Not everyone is comfortable there, but probably because of their nature. I don't think that you can say that that is good or bad, but I know where I want to be if you know what I mean. I also think that it is too easy to say that improvisation, or jazz, is complicated. It may be better to say that it is organized randomness to some degree or another. Dixieland jazz: maybe more organised and less random. Fusion: maybe less organised and more random. Bebop: maybe more organised and more random. And so on and so forth. Just my 2 cents (again.)

User Info Menu

I think most modern Fusion is super organised. They do this thing where it sounds like random notes on random chords, and then they do the tricky stops (tm) super tight to demonstrate that they know what they are doing.

And they wonder why people don't like jazz? :-)

Dixieland jazz is definitely much more random than fusion. Unless it's Jelly Roll or something, which was literally all composed.

The thing is music might not sound organised to the lay ear, but often it is. Trout Mask Replica was rehearsed for months, for instance, and to most people would sound like a random cacophony.

Even the trained musical ear isn't a good guide in this.

User Info Menu

Maybe we just need to listen to what Chuck Berry had to say;

I have no kick against modern jazz
    Unless they try to play it too darn fast
    And change the beauty of the melody
    Until it sounds just like a symphony

User Info Menu

Most non-musically oriented people, people with no ear or who know little about music except they like or don't like it, don't like dissonance. Jazz is much of the time dissonant. It's the lowest selling form of music due allot to this and that real jazz players don't grab and wave their crotches at you as today's rock and rap does..Jazz can be very sexy, but it's not selling sex..It's also no longer a dance form, the way it began as. This too has a bearing on its popularity. It's a true American art form based on improvisation; again too dissonant for the masses, "But Beautiful" to the audience it does have and to those who play it....M

User Info Menu

My response to the title of this thread would be that it’s too vague a question. There are many very different kinds of music called “jazz” and many very different audience segments. Give me the name of a specific jazz artist and a specific audience segment, and I can probably come up with a plausible explanation of why they aren’t popular in that segment.

In general, people choose to listen to types of music that suit their lifestyle. So my explanations would probably relate to that idea.

User Info Menu

Let's re-frame the question: why are lesser forms so popular?

Today, as I post, this video shows 958,785,774 views. There are other versions with additional views:

I don't have or watch Television and instinctively keep a safe distance from current 'pop' culture.

"The end is nigh," so while we can, let us enjoy the luxury of debating the unpopularity of Jazz.