Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 351 to 359 of 359

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Hmm... somehow I have managed to be totally unaware of the biggest #1 hit song in the history of music and humanity, so went looking at youtube... I expected to hate it... however, I did not expect encountering the beast that is KIDZ BOP - an improbably infinitely monstrous apparently global abomination universally assaulting the spirit of music... what's wrong with people!?
    :
    You quoted my post, but you're mistaken about the content. I put the song in that post, and it was LDjr's jazz cover of Old Town Road. The original has more weeks at Billboard #1 than any song in history...Elvis, Beatles, Whitney, Mariah, Madonna, Britney...anybody.

This and Iron Man movies is our culture in the 21st century.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Hmm... somehow I have managed to be totally unaware of the biggest #1 hit song in the history of music and humanity, so went looking at youtube... I expected to hate it... however, I did not expect encountering the beast that is KIDZ BOP - an improbably infinitely monstrous apparently global abomination universally assaulting the spirit of music... what's wrong with people!?

Play Jazz and other music while you can; looks like the end time is near for music as we have known it.
    19 straight weeks atop the Hot 100 is a record. No pun intended. Country/rap is a thing and Billy Ray made up for Achy Breaky Heart. I like Old Town Road. Makes me want to ride a horse just because..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    You quoted my post, but you're mistaken about the content. I put the song in that post, and it was LDjr's jazz cover of Old Town Road. The original has more weeks at Billboard #1 than any song in history...Elvis, Beatles, Whitney, Mariah, Madonna, Britney...anybody.

This and Iron Man movies is our culture in the 21st century.

We can only hope;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    We can only hope;

#SELFIE (Official Music Video) - The Chainsmokers - YouTube
    You have the TAB for that? I can't tell if it's in key of E of F...

User Info Menu

Is it true that “jazz” was first played in whorehouses in and around New Orleans?

AKA

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Hmm. See, the trouble with that is that jazz is sophisticated music played by highly skilled musicians. ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Is it true that “jazz” was first played in whorehouses in and around New Orleans?

AKA
    yes, even the brothels had better music in those days.

User Info Menu

Finally I read the article referred in the OP. It seems it does not even try to answer its created question, instead a rant on jazz police, without describing the authors incidents or experiments with the jazz police. The repeating statements about how the jazz police is wrong, and how open is jazz. Of course any police like attitude on art or taste is a bad thing.

The very first statement about jazz is not a genre because it has 100 years history leads nowhere. Classical music also has long history, this must not prevent us to think about as a category (if one insist to not use the genre term)

I think the author in its battle against the jazz police is missing the point, and what is more disturbing, the author missing the difference between freedom and opennes. Freedom is necessary for all creative human activity, so freedom is essential element of jazz, but this does not mean limitless opennes, which would lead to resolving and vanishing jazz in the "big open music universe"

User Info Menu

AKA
    But more likely started in Africa since all the early proponents of blues and ragtime, from which came jazz, were African-Americans, carried in the genes. Depends how you look at it.

Quantum physics probably started with Newton, and before that Descartes. in the late 1600's. Everything has a beginning.

The origins of screwing, of course, are lost in the mists of antiquity

User Info Menu

AKA
    There would have been no jazz without the environment of New Orleans.