Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Posts 526 to 528 of 528

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Popish jazz is when you don't have the jazz police, so much as a confession box.

'Father, I played Stella in the key of B flat, and played the first two chords as Em7b5 A7b9.'
    Say 3 Cousin Marys, and we’ll overlook it this time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

people like their clubs. They like to feel part of an in crowd, exclusive, in the know. Jazz provide that for both practitioners and audiences alike. I can't readily think of a form of music where the players like to talk up the bar of entry quite as much. And let's not pretend that audiences, magazines etc can't get awfully cork-sniffy about the genre.

Is it any wonder if we lose out on a lot of the more casual music lovers and consumers? You need to give people an in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    people like their clubs. They like to feel part of an in crowd, exclusive, in the know. Jazz provide that for both practitioners and audiences alike. I can't readily think of a form of music where the players like to talk up the bar of entry quite as much. And let's not pretend that audiences, magazines etc can't get awfully cork-sniffy about the genre.

Is it any wonder if we lose out on a lot of the more casual music lovers and consumers? You need to give people an in.
    Precisely. The exclusivity is intrinsic to the perceived cachet of the "jazz thing." To be sure a lot of it is subject to measurement and analysis, but a lot of that is smoke and mirrors. It comes down to, for me, "is this enjoyable/stimulating/fun or in some way edifying?"