The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Wynton Kelly is such an underrated pianist. Absolutely tasteful, soulful, swinging and never lets the fancy stuff get in the way of the melody.

I love that KB tone--mellow but with a edge when he digs in. If I were on a desert island and could only have one jazz guitarist's records, it would have to be Kenny.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 12-20-2015 at 05:48 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Anything by George Benson
    Lol. I was going to say something like this but it's really Benson's sense of Time and Bluesy phrasing...and articulation some of his recordings sound better than others.

Weird that very very few sound like him and he's been around forever and already was great in 1966 or so...I always liked Benson even before I really liked Jazz...

Anyway recently I realized I really like the ES 175 Neck Tone a lot ( probably others too).

A guy I recently became aware of was Jonathan Kriesburg and I like his modern thorough approach and he gets a beautiful more sustained Tone from his Guitar slightly effected but not as much as Metheny..
    A legato sustained approach still articulate not a hard swinger( maybe I haven't heard this aspect yet of his playing) but great Tone even on his live clips...uses a little Pedalboard - not " old school".

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian on that jam recording at Mintons. There is something about that CC pickup and the EH (probably) 150 at that volume level with that slight bit of grit that I just love to death!!

User Info Menu

herb ellis and the like

User Info Menu

Howard Alden on "Hand Crafted Swing" and "No Amps Allowed" (he plays with round wound strings, FYI)

Johnny Smith on most of his early to mid albums

Jim Hall when he played with other horn players, I love all his work with Paul Desmond and some of his stuff with Art Farmer ("To Sweden With Love" is very interesting)

Ed Bickert on Frank Rosalino's "Thinking About You"

Julian Lage on a flat top or on his old acoustic Gibson arch top

Early to mid Chuck Wayne (sorry Neatomic, that stuff with Joe Puma is hard to get into for me)

Joe Puma

Barry Galbraith on like every album... Read the liner notes, he played on so many albums! And his books taught me how to comp.

Charlie Christian

Eddie Lang

George Barnes totally owned his tone. Twang on, brotha!

Wes on "Live at the Half Note"

I love obsessing over tone, so this is hard.

Louis Stewart (no one knew who he was in Ireland when I last went )

Oscar Moore with Nat King Cole

Bill Frisell on those country tunes and that slight crunch. Loved seeing him live!

Peter Bernstein on "Consenting Adults MTB" and his Monk Album (round wounds?)

And for extra credit...

Classical Guitar:

David Russell

John Williams

Julian Bream (when he was recorded properly... I mean, C'MON sound guys, C'MON!)

Flat Top:

Tony Rice!
    Last edited by Irez87; 12-29-2015 at 08:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I am really liking this one right now performed by Howard Alden

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frethack
    I am really liking this one right now performed by Howard Alden

That is a crafty intro. He's playing the open B and E strings against a moving tenor line. Ugh... I could have studied with Howard... He's my favorite contemporary player of this type of style. He always has that shimmering acoustic sound in his playing.
    Last edited by Irez87; 12-30-2015 at 04:30 PM.

User Info Menu

irez87-"Louis Stewart (no one knew who he was in Ireland when I last went )"

speaking of louis stewart..spectacular setting for him in trio with great george shearing and nhop

cheers

User Info Menu

Love that album, he sounds better with Shearing than he did on his own, IMHOO

User Info Menu

Agreed, Graham. Having Sam Jones and Billy Higgins on board didn't hurt either! Wish that album would get an official re-release.

User Info Menu

Have to add Johnny Smith on "The Man With The Blue Guitar." Wow, what a gorgeous tone and shown off so beautifully by the solo setting. I think that was still his 1955 D'Angelico, De'Armond 1100 and possibly an EMRAD amp (this recording may have predated the EMRAD project, in which case possibly an ampeg).

User Info Menu

One of my fave tones. Haven't hear anyone else with this sound. It's got the round "plum" thing going on. Don't know what he was playing but my personal search would end if I could find a guitar with that depth and "bounce".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Have to add Johnny Smith on "The Man With The Blue Guitar." Wow, what a gorgeous tone and shown off so beautifully by the solo setting. I think that was still his 1955 D'Angelico, De'Armond 1100 and possibly an EMRAD amp (this recording may have predated the EMRAD project, in which case possibly an ampeg).
    I did a thread a little while back on guitarists with a hint of country twang. Johnny Smith was a country boy at heart, and you can certainly hear that country chime in his tone, you just gotta listen carefully. He didn't just "roll off the tone knob and play", he had that country sound in his head and he made it even prettier with those sounds of classical guitar (Segovia). That's why his chords sound more like pedal steel chords than piano chords. We finally have a pedal steel player somewhere here on the forum, I'd love to get his opinion on that.

Listen to Johnny Smith, then listen to Leon Rhodes. Sound similar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    One of my fave tones. Haven't hear anyone else with this sound. It's got the round "plum" thing going on. Don't know what he was playing but my personal search would end if I could find a guitar with that depth and "bounce".

that hank album was produced like an elvis record..there's effects on the guitar..and tone not rolled back bass heavy..hank has twang..sounds relatively modern still nowadays

a fave..and fave at the time of young george benson..who's never been one to shy away from a processed guitar tone!!!..but/and to good effect!!

cheers

User Info Menu

erez- for me the closest to js , but definitely in the "country/western" field is roy lanham..super cool harmonic player but located firmly in western swing/cowboy genre..he was great..one of leo fenders faves..supplied him with all the new gear he was comin up with

cheers

User Info Menu

I think I would have to go with any of the Jimmy Raney albums as my first choice. Ron Eschete would be a close second choice along with Ed Bickert and Doug Raney. It is impossible for me to REALLY have a favorite guitarist because there are so many great guitarists to choose from and I like ALL of them.

wiz

User Info Menu

Signs of Life by Peter Bernstein.

User Info Menu

any record made before 1955. the important thing to me is no effects, no reverb, no crappola...just the balanced sound of strings without a lot of "twang". A round sound without a lot of treble.

User Info Menu

A lot of great listening suggestions on this thread.

For me, it's Grant Green's Standards album. Gibson ES330 (with P90s) with light gauge D'Acquisto flats through a Fender Tweed Deluxe.

User Info Menu

Love Gibson ES330s with P90s... If I could afford one I would totally have 1!

User Info Menu

These days, I love Joshua Breakstone's tone, along with Royce Campbell. I can spot them almost immediately when a track starts.

User Info Menu

Man, where to begin!! I really appreciate the tone that Doug Raney had on his "Introducing..." album. Believe he was playing a Gibson, perhaps an L5. No idea what amp or strings were used.

User Info Menu

Herb Ellis and Kenny Burrell have excellent tone no matter what or when they play. It's consistent.

User Info Menu

Wes on 'Wes meets Bags' or 'So much guitar'. When it comes to tone, Wes thumb on his L5 man...

Now Peter Bernstein has one of the best sound to me.

I like very much when there is a brightness standing out of a warm fat tone. I dig a lot the sound of french guitarist named Jerome Barde on Olivier Temime's Sai Sai Sai album. He claims the instrument he created 'the Bardophone' is not a real guitar. At first sight it is one to me but yeah interesting sound.

Metheny's Linda Manzer guitar on his album with Charlie Haden sounds so powerful. I'd like to know if there is much effect applied to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco

Gibson Byrdland w/Charlie Christian pickup.