Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Does anyone have references for jazz marketing?

It's been so long since I released a CD of my own. I used to collect online websites and forums specializing in jazz, jazz radio, and general marketing for this music we love. In the interim I've lost all those all those urls.

Here's the problem I and we face. Jazz has changed to a marked degree, at least since I released anything. I used to send out 350 CDs to radio. I hired a radio promoter. I did one sheets and sent them to every station, CD distributor, management firm I could find. I called. I sent the one sheets along with CDs to every journalist and jazz/music magazine.

NOW we have Spotify. No brick and mortar stores. Amazon, iTunes and about a thousand others. I've signed up for a lot and sent them out through Tunecore. I didn't do Spotify and some other streaming services, just because. I probably will, but I hate them with a real passion.

I don't know whether there are 350 jazz radio stations extant. I have my few radio programmers who love me. They've helped and promised to help when I need it. Names of who I can talk to or hire for promo.

Knowing that most of the demographic here is not professional, but there are some. Does anyone here have a good reference, forum, url for marketing jazz or jazz-ish, instrumental music in this day and age, now?

Thank you. I will check these out.

Last night I had a long conversation with one of my long time jazz radio programmer supporters. It is indeed dismal, but not hopelessl. He gave me some numbers.

@Henry, Never, Never give up. There are some of us that like your music.!!

thanks, edh
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

henryrobinett there is a wonderful new connected world out there. Check out artists like Gilad Hekselman and Rotem Sivan. I hope there approach is working for them financially. As a consumer/fan I love what they are doing. Embracing and interacting with their fans/supporters/financial backers around the world.

My father in law is an author and he makes more from ebook direct sales than he does from books sold by a physical store.

Can I suggest talk to the young guys what are they doing? Your market is global and it has never been easier nor less expensive to communicate with that market.
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

Uh, yeah. I've been around. I am not ignorant of what's happening. I know a lot of the younger players. I don't know whether anyone is really making money from CD sales other than at gigs. I haven't heard that from anybody.

If you can lead me directly to those who make a lot of money from the sake of CDs I'd appreciate it.

I've been a part of this global society since 1986. Longer than most. I've seen it and been a part of it. I've inveighed against it, argued with it and embraced it all at the same time. Many things that are good and many things that are bad.

It was Gilad who posted that cartoon about some guy shaking a guitar players hand saying how he loves his music and downloaded it all for free. And the guitar player said something like thank you, and I downloaded all of your credit cards. I won't say Gilad and I are close friends but he's listened to some of my music and even gave me a thumbs up.

The folks who I see are excited about "Embracing and interacting with their fans" tend to be those fans who don't exchange a lot.

I've been big on social media for a long time. And at various times cultivated mailing lists and sent out regular newsletters, emails, website updates. I don't know where you have gotten this idea I'm an old fart who doesn't know anything.

Obviously it's about social media, crowd sourcing. But for me it's not about being ripped off. It's a integrity point. Of course I will give out freebies for promo. And no, I'm not expecting to make a lot of money. It's not about that either. I think it's about knowing what you do want.

Part of it IS exposure, of course. I want more live gigs, more clinics, my sideman gigs, more studio work. And I want to sell CDs. Is live to write music for video, movies, TV. Maybe incidental music. I think movies, TV and video are the only places writers can make money from.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed