The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

A lot of us here are likely at a point in our lives that this MUST be an issue and I'm curuious how you folks deal with it?

I had a longtime friend (Mike Raff who was in his 60's at the time) was an animal at his practicing regimen. For no less than 5 hours a day he practiced, and on the phone one day I mentioned that my left hand was getting arthritic and I asked him how his hand was. He answered "I play too much to get arthritis"

Well that got me thinking, on days when I'm inspired or motivated and play for a few more hours than I normally do, my left hand does limber up drastically but afterward the hand pain almost made it not worthwhile and the next day I don't play very much if at all.

Aside from taking NSAIDS which I do not do, is there any validity to my friend's claim that playing more and even more is beneficial or actually therapeutic?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From my completely medically ignorant perspective,

Les Paul developed arthritis, his doctors told him the best thing to do was keep playing.....

User Info Menu

Keith Richards has severe arthritis in his fingers: Learning from Keith Richards' fingers

Freddie Green played with the highest action ever seen. As far as I can tell from pictures, he didn't develop arthitis - and the action got higher and higher through the years: Travlin Light-Diane Schuur&Freddie Green - Dailymotion??

As for myself, I had soreness in some finger joints when I began playing acoustic rhythm guitar with a fairly high action. However, the pain diasappeared as the strength in my fretting muscles grew. That's not to say that one should ignore pain when plaing. If it persists and one goes on playing in ones usual manner, permanent damage can develop. I take quite some care in holding my guitars in a relaxed position, play with a "straight wrist", etc. so I don't apply stress and tension where it's not needed.

User Info Menu

I also play with as straight a wrist as possible, that makes me strap the guitar rather high, but the wrist surely does feel better. I see these rockers with the guitar slung down to below the waist and I scratch my head... good to be young I guess.

User Info Menu

My doctor took X-rays of my hands yesterday when I asked why my little left hand finger was swollen. She called and said I have severe degeneration of the joints in both hands and set me up with a rheumatology consult. Wonder what I should ask. When I first start playing the joints on that finger tend to lock up and I have to grab that finger with my right hand and pop the joints. My MD visibly winced when I demonstrated. After a while the knuckles loosen up. I'm eying shorter scale narrower necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I also play with as straight a wrist as possible, that makes me strap the guitar rather high, but the wrist surely does feel better. I see these rockers with the guitar slung down to below the waist and I scratch my head... good to be young I guess.
    No guarantee, I got tendonitis in both hands at the same time, despite holding my guitar at a "proper" height.

User Info Menu

I have gone to progressively lighter strings, generally lower action, and better technique as I, like fine wine, age and mellow. Straps are shorter, guitars worn higher, straighter wrist, greater neck angle, more attention to addressing the strings at the proper angle in the proper position with the requisite (just enough) force, and so forth. My sympathy for all with this issue. Proper medical advice is highly desirable when available.

User Info Menu

I am a hopeful believer in the "use it or loose" idea.
    I had awful tendonitis a few years back and it flares up occasionally. I use a keyboard all day with my job then play guitar all evening...something's gotta give.

At the time I was playing exclusively finger style acoustic and bottleneck blues on a national. So fingerpicks etc.

So I went to town on sorting it out.
    I now sit correctly, touch type, use a wrist rest for my keyboard and mouse.
    I eat plenty of oily fish.
    I also avoid repetitive movements when typing or doing anything involving my wirsts and hands..allowing them to relax and not be tense so often.

And - most of all I never allow myself to become rusty playing guitar - then pick it up and expect to play superfast tricky licks.

On a different note - back in the early 90's when I was in music college, there was a keyboard player that suffered with really bad arthritis in all his joints - he claims he gave up keyboards and learnt drums (which he became very good at) and reckons he wouldn't be able to walk had it not been for taking up the drums.
    Last edited by nickyboy; 10-09-2015 at 11:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Sucks getting old. I find those joint soother products to help. My biggest problem these days is right shoulder pain from playing big boxes. Been playing my Brydland a whole lot more though I am a L5 guy. Good days and bad when you get into your 60's.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=nickyboy;574356].
    I eat plenty of oily fish.

There is the "chondro--something or other" stuff that is available in the pharmacy that is derived from seafood, mostly, that supposedly helps with joint lubrication. I am told that it takes a while (6 mos.) for your body to really incorporate this to the point where it might actually help.

I notice that drinking alcohol really seems to make my joints creak the next day. I always walk when I play golf, and I'm avoiding the post-round beers, because I end up like the Tin Man, if I imbibe much.

PS: Glucosamine chondroitin is the stuff I couldn't remember the name of. Also, some people advocate turmeric as a natural anti-inflammatory spice. Jack Grassel's website has a bunch of other recommendations to ward off tendinitis/overuse syndrome.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 10-09-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Add PS

User Info Menu

I get tendonitis if I'm not careful.
    I've developed a daily stretching routine that helps a lot.

User Info Menu

Having arthritis in the fingers and back I can feel for each and everyone of us with it. In my case, playing frequently for shorter periods of time helped quite a bit, instead of three hours at a clip , Id do three one hour sessions. Also using a foot stool when gigging and rehearsing has been a God send for the back pain. I found "Ostio Bi Flex" to be of great help too. I swear by it but have friends who have tried it and said it did nothing for their pain, my guess is it depends on exactly is causing the aching. I thought going to a shorter scale length would help but while comfortable at first, isnt quite working out the way I thought it would. Do get a doctors opinion in any case. AAAH!!! The GOLDEN YEARS!! Bob

User Info Menu

like the guy said....getting old sucks....I play sitting down and get up frequently....stretch and move around...I developed a problem in my hip!...from sitting with my leg crossed over...just a muscle thing I think, very annoying.....boy did we take those youthful years for granted....I would check into turmeric....from what I read...the Glucosamine chondroitin doesn't work......

User Info Menu

Try warming your hands up in warm water before you play, a Jim Hall trick and massage blood up into the fingers of your hands also learn some classical guitar stretching exercises, I'm 71 and my hands still work ok.

User Info Menu

Old age pain is something we all deal with if we live long enough. Another thing that you lose is your quick reflexes. It bothers me that I can't play as good as I could 20 years ago. I can't play fast anymore. If I do it's sloppy. Oh well it's all part of the life cycle. At least we can still play. You don't see 70 year old football players playing football.

User Info Menu

My arthritis is apparently hastened by my diabetes. The small capillaries in the hand get clogged and the joints deteriorate. Getting my blood sugar back under control, as it is now with a new drug, should help slow it down. Get tested.

User Info Menu

....getting old sucks....

Ahhh, but don't forget the rest!

…and then you die!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Hammertone;574464]....getting old sucks....

...But it still beats the alternative...

User Info Menu

I have slight arthritis in the knees and shoulders, but developed polymyalgia rheumatica last year. You get all of the pain and inflammation without the long term damage. Woohoo! Every morning is a struggle and a glimpse of years to come. I force myself to pick up a guitar and do warm up exercises every day even if I can't practice. I think it helps stay loose, but notice the aftermorning pain during long playing sessions. Supplements and nsaids are not possible for me. Getting older is tough.

User Info Menu

According to the rheumatologist who wrote the article on Keith Richards: "Although there has been some speculation in the media that his playing may have contributed to the development of his arthritis, there’s no evidence that playing any instrument wears joints out quickly. Musicians get arthritis, just like the rest of us."

User Info Menu

I am privileged to enjoy a constellation of interesting medical conditions.
    I've learned about this from long experience.

You might want to check out the theories that your arthritis (an autoimmune condition)
    is caused or aggravated by a degree of "leaky gut" and too high a blood insulin level
    over too many years. Individually or together these mechanisms create long-term
    state of systemic inflammation that can manifest in many ways.
    The typical diet most of us eat & love is damaging many of us.

This now becoming the focus of much formal research and is not a conspiracy
    theory propagated by de-frocked aroma-therapists.

I can offer lots of pointers & links, and will if they're requested, but I
    don't want be a huge bore here.

Start by checking out Dr. Alessio Fasano and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.

Also, best of luck to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    A lot of us here are likely at a point in our lives that this MUST be an issue and I'm curuious how you folks deal with it?

I had a longtime friend (Mike Raff who was in his 60's at the time) was an animal at his practicing regimen. For no less than 5 hours a day he practiced, and on the phone one day I mentioned that my left hand was getting arthritic and I asked him how his hand was. He answered "I play too much to get arthritis"

Well that got me thinking, on days when I'm inspired or motivated and play for a few more hours than I normally do, my left hand does limber up drastically but afterward the hand pain almost made it not worthwhile and the next day I don't play very much if at all.

Aside from taking NSAIDS which I do not do, is there any validity to my friend's claim that playing more and even more is beneficial or actually therapeutic?
    is it OA or RA?
    Warming up is mandatory.
    Marathon workouts will make you more sore, not less.
    Voltaren Gel is great, great stuff.
    Avoid oral NSAIDS
    Finally, there is Plaquenil, and other DMARDS.

But - see a top notch Rheumatologist for all of this!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    Try warming your hands up in warm water before you play, a Jim Hall trick and massage blood up into the fingers of your hands also learn some classical guitar stretching exercises, I'm 71 and my hands still work ok.

This sometimes used to work for me too.

Somebody once told me that if you are arthritic it is a whole body affliction - although the symptoms/pain may only manifest in certain places.

Just to add my 2p worth, I no longer have arthritis like I used to because i discovered what triggered it. Before this I tried everything I could think of - dietary, physicallly, herbally, etc.. all to no avail or limited success.
    However, when i discovered that my weight training was the trigger due to the stress it was putting on my thumb joints and I stopped using free weights - viola! No more arthritis pain!! I still get some days when I feel it is coming on again - but it never does. I had it from my mid-twenties through to my forties - but no more.

So, have a think about if there is any other activity that might be contributing to trigger the attacks. You may get lucky - ofcourse this would only be helpful if your arthritits is episodic like mine was. (Secondary osteoarthritis caused by thumb joint damage that I never let heal properly).

Other than that I would echo what citizenk74 says above about lighter strings etc..

(I have a 1970s 12-string Hagstrom Western dreadnought acoustic with a wide neck -a session on that was guaranteed to give me arthritis the next day- but I havent played it lately).

Good luck.

User Info Menu

If you let it, it will get out of hand. My friend has a new "cure" every other month or so, everything from tumeric , cayanne pepper, cinnamon , and a whole bunch of other natural cures including fasting and fish oils. Hes still got the pain and the same complaints as when he first developed joint pain. If you are lucky , you find something that works for you, if not , its just what it is. I for sure cant play as accurate or as dexterous as I could a few years ago but, Ive made adjustments to my style of phrasing and now do a lot of partial chords so Im lucky enough to still be able to enjoy playing. I believe if you want to continue to play youll find a way. Might not be exactly what you used to play but altering playing style may help a lot. Bob

User Info Menu

Turmeric is as effective as Indomethicin (NSAID) for arthritic pain. It's absorption is vastly improved if black pepper is taken at the same time.

An amusing turmeric anecdote.....

I told my GP that I was taking turmeric and he agreed that it was a good idea. He said he had taken it for a couple of months and commented, "It's absolutely terrible to get it down. How do you manage?"

A bit nonplussed I replied, "I just take it with water."

He said, "Yes but the solubility in water is very low. You're probably not getting a therapeutic dose taking it with water. I had to mix it with oil and grind it with a pestle and mortar. It's a nightmare trying to swallow it though isn't it?"

My GP is about 20 years younger than me and I imagined he would be tech savvy enough to check out the Internet as I had done.

I said to him, "Yeah that sounds revolting! But I just bought it in capsule form from Amazon....."

He said, "Oh my god! I didn't know you could get it like that. I just used the powdered stuff!"