The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

For arthritis, because your joints are inflamed, your blood flow has been constricted. You want to focus on a form of treatment that will promote circulation to the area (ie. massage therapy, ultrasound, BFST, acupuncture, etc.). The increased blood flow will help lubricate the joints, giving you a wider range of motion and less stiffness. I personally recommend the BFST as you can do this in the comfort of your own home, as many times as you'd like. Based on my experience, some arthritic sufferers prefer cold, some prefer heat. Cold is always important to reduce the inflammation, but after a time of cold, you want to start increasing the circulation again. There are so many benefits of increase blood flow. You may really benefit from taping as well. Worth a look into, find what works for you.
    http://kingbrand.com/BFST-Home.php?REF=34PV16.76
    KB Support Tape

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For arthritis, because your joints are inflamed, your blood flow has been constricted. You want to focus on a form of treatment that will promote circulation to the area (ie. massage therapy, ultrasound, BFST, acupuncture, etc.). The increased blood flow will help lubricate the joints, giving you a wider range of motion and less stiffness. I personally recommend the BFST as you can do this in the comfort of your own home, as many times as you'd like. Based on my experience, some arthritic sufferers prefer cold, some prefer heat. Cold is always important to reduce the inflammation, but after a time of cold, you want to start increasing the circulation again. There are so many benefits of increase blood flow. You may really benefit from taping as well. Worth a look into, find what works for you.
    http://kingbrand.com/BFST-Home.php?REF=34PV16.76
    KB Support Tape

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyorm
    For arthritis, because your joints are inflamed, your blood flow has been constricted. You want to focus on a form of treatment that will promote circulation to the area (ie. massage therapy >>SNIP<<
    A while back I had a GF who was really into massage and after playing one night I massaged my hands and she took over for me, from then on she would do them even while I drove. You're right they do help.

User Info Menu

If you start having joint pain you may have early stage Scurvy. For many the first symptom of Scurvy is joint pain, often in the hands. So if you have joint pain take a mega dose of good old vit. C. There is no such thing as a Scurvy ridden dog as dogs make their own vit. C and are never deficient of vit C. Primates can't make there own vit. C and can become deficient which causes Scurvy.

User Info Menu

I saw a rheumatologist who diagnosed my problem as osteoarthritis. Because of various diabetes and heart meds I shouldn't take any of the available O.A. drugs. She sent me home with a paraffin bath. It does provide some relief.

User Info Menu

Guys, I'm 72 years old now and play five or so hours a day. I don't have a single bit of arthritis in my hands, or for that fact, anywhere else. I play a very challenging (strength-wise) Dieter Hopf 1976 Grand Concert classical guitar and use high tension titanium strings. Instead of my hand strength deteriorating, it is actually increasing as I intensify my practice regime. I am only saying this to make the point that it is not all down hill as we age (well, eventually perhaps). I do highly recommend Jorge Cardoso's seminal book, "Science and Method in Guitar Technique" (the book is in Spanish and English side by side). Cardoso is an excellent guitarist and composer as well as a respected physician. Much of the book is dedicated to the medical aspect of playing (muscle groups, memory, psychology, etc.) and the rest is a very thorough treatment of scales, picado, arpeggios, tremolo, legato, and such. Perhaps genetics or my healthy life style have a hand in me being pain-free (as well as prescription and otherwise substance free). Who knows?

Ron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    I saw a rheumatologist who diagnosed my problem as osteoarthritis. Because of various diabetes and heart meds I shouldn't take any of the available O.A. drugs. She sent me home with a paraffin bath. It does provide some relief.

I have what you have and other maladies. The other maladies suck too. It is all shows up as chronic pain from inflammation, deterioration of bones and joints, & high blood sugar slowly poisoning and rotting & festering in our systems over the years, leading to poor and no circulation, nerve pain and then nerve destruction.... and then our toes and feet fall off if we don't address the issue.

I have 11 unopened bottle of insulin in the fridge. The moment they prescribed that, I did a real about face. I rarely even take the pills anymore. Once in awhile I can feel when I go overboard and I am suffering a potential glucose poisoning overload I pop a pill. Not so often though anymore.

The arthritis, osteoporosis, spondylosis, and nerve impingement are all conditions we can live with, and many symptoms can be alleviated and some of the conditions even reversed with proper diet. Lots of fruit and veggies, and anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal medicinal foods. (fresh garlic, turmeric, ginger, certain peppers, cinnamon ginseng, lemons etc) I sweeten with fresh raw unpasteurized honey, one of the best anti everything foods anywhere. And it doesn't spike my blood sugar.

The western diet kills more people than anything else in the US. It may end up manifesting as cancer, renal failure, heart disease, etc or some other nasty cause of death in the end, but the processed garbage that passes for most food kills most of us in some fashion. We dig our graves with our teeth here in the USA.

Ron makes a good points if you can still use your hands. Anything left unused will atrophy. But if your fingers are bent like pretzels and your joints are like walnut (as I have pointed out on more than just this occasion), you have a bigger obstacles to overcome that just building strength and dexterity. That is usually RA, in which your immune system goes postal on your joints and bones. That is not as common as OA. Thankfully.

Massive does of vitamin C. That is a lifesaver too. Oxidize your system. Cancer can't survive in oxygen rich cells. It need glucose saturated cells that cut off the the oxygen intake for cancer to grow and spread. Cancer consumes 30 times more glucose than normal cells and CAN'T LIVE WITH OXYGEN. But it can thrive without oxygen .....and vit C is an oxygen carrier. One cancer riddled fellow mixed powdered vit C with bi carb and honey. The honey carried (snuck) the bi carb and C past the the cell walls inside the cancer cells and the bi carb (oxygen) killed the cancer. The cells just reverted back to normal. (if memory serves)

Super cheap cancer cure (at least for this fellow)

I am off to drink bi carb and C. A big tall glass. Much tastier than urine therapy, which BTW actually works, but most people can't gag it down for obvious reasons.

PS .....alzheimer's, chronic memory loss and dementia are other sugar based brain rotting diseases.
    Last edited by docdosco; 02-22-2016 at 03:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Ron, you're my role model!

I hope I can say the same in my 70s.

User Info Menu

Doc is correct, RA is an awful affliction. And I certainly agree with Doc regarding the very poor quality of the common North American diet. I have no idea what causes RA and similar afflictions or specific ways to avoid them, but a very healthy diet, exercise, and reduced stress are things under my control and I am determined to at least contribute what I can toward a healthy, pain-free future. I may die tomorrow but it won't be because of poor eating habits.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi Doc,

Some excellent observations there re-diet. I remember an interview with Sonny Rollins maybe five years ago at the Marciac Festival here in France where, when asked how he 'still managed' to play in such a fluid way at 82 years of age simply replied 'I watch what I eat'. He surely has a point. That said, he probably wasn't drinking Californian fracking waste water!

I am 70 this year and usually manage a couple of hours practice each day + playing out on occasions. I no longer do one hour however without breaking it into 20min segments and stretch both hands extensively albeit briefly each time. Twenty mins is ( I recall ) an optimum chunk of time for staying mentally fresh, so that seems to work quite well. Lots of fish oil and oily fish in diet + the Glucosamine supplement each day. Tendonitis very occasionally at base of right thumb but quickly goes with excercises. I play TI 12 Jazz Swings and find them really comfortable and routinely go for a low action. In that connection I have a semi-pro acoustic/folk player friend here who has heavy strings and a high action and who never ever excercises his hands ( other than on DIY ) and he has both arthritis and carpal tunnel. Every case seems to be unique.

Slightly off topic, wondering how the Chiquita is sounding? Also your TC HOF reverb - happy with it?

Musicalament,

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Hi Doc,

Some excellent observations there re-diet. I remember an interview with Sonny Rollins maybe five years ago at the Marciac Festival here in France where, when asked how he 'still managed' to play in such a fluid way at 82 years of age simply replied 'I watch what I eat'. He surely has a point. That said, he probably wasn't drinking Californian fracking waste water!

I am 70 this year and usually manage a couple of hours practice each day + playing out on occasions. I no longer do one hour however without breaking it into 20min segments and stretch both hands extensively albeit briefly each time. Twenty mins is ( I recall ) an optimum chunk of time for staying mentally fresh, so that seems to work quite well. Lots of fish oil and oily fish in diet + the Glucosamine supplement each day. Tendonitis very occasionally at base of right thumb but quickly goes with excercises. I play TI 12 Jazz Swings and find them really comfortable and routinely go for a low action. In that connection I have a semi-pro acoustic/folk player friend here who has heavy strings and a high action and who never ever excercises his hands ( other than on DIY ) and he has both arthritis and carpal tunnel. Every case seems to be unique.

Slightly off topic, wondering how the Chiquita is sounding? Also your TC HOF reverb - happy with it?

Musicalament,

David
    Hi David,

The Chiquita is brilliant. Or the 'Little Brother'. That is my name for it. Graham has the name Chiquita. I have so much to do to kick starting Peerless Guitars America that I haven't had the time to really play with that or some other guitars. It's tough. I would love to play away the day, pulling one guitar out after another, even with my messed up hands, but I have to do the job of an office full of people at the same time now. Ouch! And still be a jazz guitarist, vocalist, band leader etc.

It is amazing that I have 6 Maestros (well one just sold yesterday), along with all these sweet guitars and I haven't even cracked a few cases. I haven't played the 40th anniversary Leela yet. Nor a black Cremona and a Black Imperial. (I love black, can't everyone tell?).

The HOF is killer really. I always liked TC. They squeezed a rack mount studio reverb unit into a pedal. Very cool.

Good luck with your hands. Mine still work, thankfully, even though they buzz and tingle and go numb. No fraking water yet, although I am 6.3 miles from Porter Ranch, the big natual gas well disaster that they claim they just plugged. Fortunately, the winds didn't carry it my way (my nose can't detect it anyway)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco
    Hi David,

The Chiquita is brilliant. Or the 'Little Brother'. That is my name for it. Graham has the name Chiquita. I have so much to do to kick starting Peerless Guitars America that I haven't had the time to really play with that or some other guitars. It's tough. I would love to play away the day, pulling one guitar out after another, even with my messed up hands, but I have to do the job of an office full of people at the same time now. Ouch! And still be a jazz guitarist, vocalist, band leader etc.

It is amazing that I have 6 Maestros (well one just sold yesterday), along with all these sweet guitars and I haven't even cracked a few cases. I haven't played the 40th anniversary Leela yet. Nor a black Cremona and a Black Imperial. (I love black, can't everyone tell?).

The HOF is killer really. I always liked TC. They squeezed a rack mount studio reverb unit into a pedal. Very cool.

Good luck with your hands. Mine still work, thankfully, even though they buzz and tingle and go numb. No fraking water yet, although I am 6.3 miles from Porter Ranch, the big natual gas well disaster that they claim they just plugged. Fortunately, the winds didn't carry it my way (my nose can't detect it anyway)
    Hi Doc,

I think the Chiquita concept is brilliant and is going to go down really well. 'Little Brother' ( in Korean?) is a great idea.Good luck with the newly-energised Peerless project over there. Great guitars. My Cremona is superb but the Renaissance Custom with a Benedetto A6 in the neck is (my ) closely guarded secret. Sounds like you have a lot to do in the office!

Thanks re-HOF recommendation. Will get on with that.

Porter Ranch sounds like a disaster almost beyond belief - emissions equivalent to 6 coal powered power stations - every day?! Did you see this one about your aquafers over there: https://www.rt.com/usa/194620-california-aquifers-fracking-contamination/

User Info Menu

Diagnosed with osteoarthritis, on a blood thinner, so no NSAIDs for me. Passed on the opioids and got a medical MJ card. Been using a hand cream that contains a 1:1 ratio of THC to CBD. Works wonders, doesn’t make me high.

User Info Menu

I've had enough pain so I finally did this search re: guitarists and arthritis. I am looking for that magic "pill" too!

Studying classical guitar requires practice and dedication. So, sitting for an hour or so daily has my elbows in flames.

No where else (TG), if it were my knees, I can't imagine!

I will have to try the turmeric capsules. Collagen, physical therapy have not helped yet.

Any other developments???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    I've had enough pain so I finally did this search re: guitarists and arthritis. I am looking for that magic "pill" too!

Studying classical guitar requires practice and dedication. So, sitting for an hour or so daily has my elbows in flames.

No where else (TG), if it were my knees, I can't imagine!

I will have to try the turmeric capsules. Collagen, physical therapy have not helped yet.

Any other developments???
    Note: Turmeric requires black pepper @ 10% of mixture for proper absorption. I use it as food - a dry rub/curry kind of mix of Turmeric, Black Pepper (coarse and freshly ground), Ginger, Oregano, Sage, freshly ground Fennel Seed, Chili Powder, Garilc and Onion powders, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

User Info Menu

I'M glad I found this thread....

I've got it all, the pain in fingers, pain in the shoulders .I just recently (in retirement at 72 in nov 2021) picked up the guitar again after 40+years. BUT sadly,I can't play my D'angelico EXL-1 more than 10 min....because of shoulder /back pain..awww, such a lovely instrument!.... Added to the cognitive issues I'm experiencing I'd definitely say "getting old sucks" .Although I don't remember anything from the time i used to play in my teens, I am happy with the experience so far.. I can play though the finger pain (easily 5-6 hrs a day ) but not the shoulder....So I am now playing instruments that I would not have considered 40 yrs ago....solid bodies for jazz..more compact instruments like the Schecter soloII custom (although the pups run a bit hot) but a fine Pat Martino style solid body with 015-052 strings..... my fav so far is a D'angelico premier altlantic. Seymours D with d'addarios ECG24 -11-46......I did have a GB10 1979 Ibanez 40 yrs ago , a lovely instrument, I should have kept it..can't afford another unfortunately.

Anyways, my approach is the same as with golf..the first 9 holes is just warm up...no pills just diet.....

Ray