The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hey guys, been a while since I posted because my computer has been acting up and is still being repaired. Anyway, I started to keep a diary about what I've been practicing each day, I am a bit terrified about leaving my teacher behind for the summer and I am really bad at organizing my life in general. I feel like keeping a diary is a good thing and I'll feel more guilty about not practicing . Do you guys have any experiences about keeping a diary and maybe some tips for organizing practice for effectiveness as well?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've sort of done a diary before, more accurately said... I've maintained a practice schedule (and for me it was very worthwhile... and I should still be doing it )

What I'd recommend is set some aspirations and set some goals. Aspirations are something you aspire to that aren't completely in your control. Examples of aspirations:

I want to play fluently and melodically over ii V I progressions in all keys.

I want to increase my scale and arpeggio speed for 16th notes from my current 108 metronome setting to a metronome setting of 120 bpm.

I want to improve my ability to transcribe music.

Goals you do have control over, and you can set goals to help reach your aspirations. Examples of related goals:

I am going to practice ii V I progressions with band in a box, at least 1/2 hour session 5 times a week.

I am going to practice scales and arpeggios in all position with a metronome, at least 1/2 hour session 5 times a week.

I'm going to spend at least 2 hours a week transcribing music.

I set up a schedule on a spreadsheet program (excel) with days in the columns and tasks or goals in the rows. My rows mignt have various scales or arpegios, chord exercises, transctiption, ear training etc., in the cells for that day and that task I'd enter a metronome speed I worked up to or a check mark indicating I worked on the task. I like this format because it is real easy to scan across and see whether your meeting your goals, what progress has been made, and whether you're on your way to meet your aspirations.
    Last edited by fep; 04-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.

User Info Menu

A22, that's a pretty good idea! I had never done it before but from now on I'm gonna keep a practice diary.

User Info Menu

A practice diary is a great tool for organizing your practice. Rather than have someone else organize your schedule keep your diary faithfully describing what you practiced for how long.
    You will probably see what areas you are neglecting and ask yourself if you need to spend more time on those or not.

User Info Menu

practice diaries, routines, regime etc are all good and can never hurt your playing. The only thing I'd say is, don't overwhelm yourself with unrealistic expectations, only write down stuff that you know you'll get done in your practice time. I used to read articles and listen to teachers etc and think that I had to practice every scale, mode, tune, lick, exercise in every key and I got so overwhelmed with it that practicing became more of a chore and less fun, which is what it should all be about right?

Having said all this, you may not have this problem that I had in my personality, so just keep going and I'm sure you'll be fine. I suppose the message is really to always have fun and enjoy your playing!

User Info Menu

good point, i never thought of practice diary, think i will do one from now on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobnes
    practice diaries, routines, regime etc are all good and can never hurt your playing. The only thing I'd say is, don't overwhelm yourself with unrealistic expectations, only write down stuff that you know you'll get done in your practice time. I used to read articles and listen to teachers etc and think that I had to practice every scale, mode, tune, lick, exercise in every key and I got so overwhelmed with it that practicing became more of a chore and less fun, which is what it should all be about right?

Having said all this, you may not have this problem that I had in my personality, so just keep going and I'm sure you'll be fine. I suppose the message is really to always have fun and enjoy your playing!
    I know what you mean. I get frustrated a lot because I try to do stuff that is too difficult for my experience and I jump from place to place, for example I might memorize a lick and practice it with the chords and then go own, but never really learn to apply it to my soloing -> I'm going to have to practice that with band-in-a-box once I get my PC back, it seems to work wonders. And about the practice diary it's really cool and lifts your spirits to read about how you were doing some time ago compared to the present and how you've improved
    Last edited by a22; 04-24-2009 at 05:18 AM.

User Info Menu

rule # 1...set small goals daily

rule # 2...follow rule #1

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

whether your playing for 5 hours or 1 hour, I reckon this is a good rule to follow:

think of the practice time as a sandwich, the bread either side could be the thing that is at the heart of what you want to acheive. For me it would be a global goal, like, playing Jazz music, playing a tune and improvising on it, which is my overall aim as an aspiring Jazz guitarist. Just to forget everything and play the tune and improvise, to be able to improvise on a tune solo or with other players, so that's what I think I should do the most of.

In the middle, could be the more scientific element, i.e. technical exercises, improvement of fretboard mobility, ear training, scales and arpeggios over the tune etc, stuff that I don't know how to do basically and that I have to think about.

The last 3rd would be exactly the same as the first. So I would proportion the time so that I am doing 2 3rds of my overall practice time doing the things that I most want to acheive, which is playing Jazz music to the best I can, without thinking too much. This leaves the 1 3rd in the middle for stuff that you want to improve on. The beauty of this is that you don't get to caught up in exercises because most of your time is spent playing music, and you never know, you might play in the first third and find things you want to deal with, deal with them in the middle 3rd, and have overcome them a little in the final third. Idealist I know, but it could happen!

User Info Menu

bobnes, Really good point. I believe it's a good idea to have your schedule heavily weighted with working on and playing tunes.

A22,

Something I'd like to add to my suggestions above...

You don't have to practice everything everyday. With my spreadsheet schedule, I'd just work down my list. On Monday for instance I might not have got to my 'Chord Ear Training' task, but I'd then work on that 1st thing on Tuesday.

Keeping that schedule did organize my goals so that I did practice each task at least a couple times a week.

Thanks to you, I'm starting a new schedule today...
    Last edited by fep; 04-24-2009 at 10:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    bobnes, Really good point. I believe it's a good idea to have your schedule heavily weighted with working on and playing tunes.

A22,

Something I'd like to add to my suggestions above...

You don't have to practice everything everyday. With my spreadsheet schedule, I'd just work down my list. On Monday for instance I might not have got to my 'Chord Ear Training' task, but I'd then work on that 1st thing on Tuesday.

Keeping that schedule did organize my goals so that I did practice each task at least a couple times a week.

Thanks to you, I'm starting a new schedule today...
    Heh, coincidentally today I've only been focusing on one difficult song theme for a few hours, maybe I'll work on comping the tune tomorrow. Thanks and good luck with the new schedule!

User Info Menu

Resurrecting an ancient thread here, but just letting Fep know that this is a golden idea and I will be designing a practice routine using Excel and using the advice on this thread. Love it!

User Info Menu

Yes, I use one. It's just a small unlined notebook and I usually use half a page per day. I list each specific activity that I worked on, and sometimes I will enter these in before I do them (say the night before) to remind myself to do them the next day. I usually end up with 5 to 10 items on each day's summary, and I always summarize my practice time for the day and tally it for the month, shooting for about 80 hours monthly. It's a great motivator. I also make it a point to write down any visualization and intense listening that I do, as well as jams or checking out live jazz.

It really helps.

User Info Menu

Every week I create a schedule of things I want to focus on. I use a spreadsheet. For each practice session I write down what I worked on in a small notebook. It's not perfect but it's a good system for me and keeps me on track. I usually have many more things I want to work on than I'm able to get to, but at least I know exactly what to work on when when I sit down to practice.

User Info Menu

I use one of those journal books like you see at Barnes and Noble. I just note the day and notes on what I did and any details I think necessary. I sometime at end of practice day write next date down and reminders of things to do. Sometimes write notes about something I read or heard and mark it some way to make it stand out from rest.

User Info Menu

I've tried to keep a practice journal several times but I've always let it lapse (the journal, not the practice). I do try to keep track of the set lists from my infrequent gigs. I also keep a master list of tunes that I can play from memory and the dates on which I last played or practiced them. I use a pencil so it can be easily updated. That way I can see at a glance which tunes need to be refreshed, as it were. Works for me.

User Info Menu

I think if you write down what youv'e done its a good idea - it plots where you have been. But its trying to create a course of action by looking in the rear view mirror. You needd a forward looking plan. That way when you have a spare 15 minutes you can sit down - look at the tick list schedule - know what's next - start - and tick ff some more work. Without a plan you'll bimble through a guess of what to do next.

Students mostly try to rush. They want to play betterr than they are currently able, which in turn leads them to pieces that are too hard for thier current technique and they rush down the page before they have really practiced each line.

Assume it will take you about 15 minutes to get fairly good on each line of music - say 15 to 20 notes a line in easy tunes. So an average piece you'll find in a student book of two pages may have say 16 lines of music for a tune (the head and chorus). So thatwill take you 15 minutes x 16 lines = 4 hours. Call that 30 minutes a day over eight days. That would be realistic progress.

Make a list of the lines (16) and 8 tick boxes, when you've played a line for two minutes ( use an egg timer) tick and move to the next line. If you have a spare 15 minutes you'll know what's next from the moment you sit down.

Over time you'll modify this to your own ways of working, but the basics are all about repetition, really getting the stuff into the mind and fingers, and giving the brain time to engrain what's being learnt before moving on.

If you count up the music lines of any method book useing this scheme you can plan dates for chapters and a finish date for the whole book. BTW be realistic - this is hard work practicing like this - I'd say three hours a day is max and a hour pretty easy - so work out your hours then count up the lines. Now you have the start of an objective plan, some target dates, and acheivement criteria.

I am reminded of Frank Slades speech at the end of Scent of a Woman -

" I always knew what the right path was.

Without exception, I knew, but I never took it. You know why?

It was too damn hard.

Now here's Charlie. He's come to the crossroads.

He has chosen a path.

It's the right path.

It's a path made of principle...that leads to character.

Let him continue on his journey. "

Practicing on the right path is difficult. I have to admit to taking the easy path for all my early years. And still do many days. But at least now I know what the right path look like - so its my choice now.
    Last edited by ChrisDowning; 01-28-2013 at 04:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been keeping a practice diary for years, works really well for me. I'm incredibly organised though, so it's in my nature. There's a pdf on practice scheduling and practice strategy on my site, might be helpful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    … What I'd recommend is set some aspirations and set some goals. Aspirations are something you aspire to that aren't completely in your control. …

Goals you do have control over, and you can set goals to help reach your aspirations.
    Thanks very much for this post. I notice that the goals are the inputs to practice, and the aspirations are the desired outcomes. For me this is a very useful distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDowning
    I think if you write down what youv'e done its a good idea - it plots where you have been. But its trying to create a course of action by looking in the rear view mirror. You needd a forward looking plan. That way when you have a spare 15 minutes you can sit down - look at the tick list schedule - know what's next - start - and tick ff some more work. Without a plan you'll bimble through a guess of what to do next. …
    Yes, but of course the log and the plan don't exclude each other. I see the plan as the glue designed to assure that the goals and aspirations are coherent.

Now it's time for my frequent disclaimer that I am ony an amateur guitarist. That said...

Even with goals, aspirations, and a plan, keeping a log is not enough. Log or no log, practice reinforces behavior and makes it reliable. Only deliberate practice makes perfect. See Annie Murphy Paul's The Myth of 'Practice Makes Perfect'. Paul refers to a scholarly paper by K. Anders Ericsson which concludes that except for things like height, practice - not talent - accounts for expert performance. (If you weigh 120 pounds, no amount of practice will make you an NFL defensive tackle.) The paper is downloadable here. There is also a cheap 23 page book by Ricardo Iznaola that I have found helpful, A Manual for Students of Guitar Performance. While "deliberate practice" may translate differently for different people, my takeaway from all this is that deliberate practice on the guitar always ...

• Involves visualizing desired results
    • Looks for things to improve
    • Measures progress - or the lack thereof - by keeping logs, self-recording performances, getting critiques, occasionally revisiting old material, etc.
    • Revises plans that aren't working

Finally and FWIW, I find it easier to use a spreadsheet because practice is repetitious and with the spreadsheet, I can cut and paste, changing only the dates or tempos as needed, and adding comments. I can also easily measure progress, find older material, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bondmorkret
    I've been keeping a practice diary for years, works really well for me. I'm incredibly organised though, so it's in my nature. There's a pdf on practice scheduling and practice strategy on my site, might be helpful
    I'd be interested to see that. Is there a way to access it without signing up for an account on your website? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Because I already spend lots of time behind a computer, I try to keep my jazz guitar time away from the screen. The main exception is using Transcribe.

Anyway, I use a hand-written practice journal as discussed above. As it happens, I'm running out of paper in it so I searched yesterday for a replacement. I found two good ones. One is the Moleskin Large Music Notebook (the one with one blank sheet and one staff sheet per two pages) and the other is the Peter Pauper Press Music Notebook, which has a similar layout but less staff lines on those pages. I went with the Pauper one because it only has 7 lines of staff per page as opposed to the Moleskin which looked to have way more than I need. I've been lazy about keeping a proper "lines journal" so this should help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedSpoon
    Finally and FWIW, I find it easier to use a spreadsheet because practice is repetitious and with the spreadsheet, I can cut and paste, changing only the dates or tempos as needed, and adding comments. I can also easily measure progress, find older material, etc.
    Great post, lots of good points. I also keep my practice schedule in a spreadsheet. Would love to see a copy if you wouldn't mind sending it to me. I'm always interested in how others organize their work. It helps me modify and improve my process.
    Last edited by Dana; 01-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    Great post, lots of good points. I also keep my practice schedule in a spreadsheet. Would love to see a copy if you wouldn't mind sending it to me. I'm always interested in how others organize their work. It helps me modify and improve my process.
    Thanks for the kind words. I will gladly send an exerpt. (There are some personal notes and extraneous stuff like setup notes that are specific to my guitars.) I am not sure how to get the spreadsheet to you, but if you PM me with your email I will get you the excerpt straight away.