The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is your Myer-Briggs profile?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTJ

3 3.33%
  • ISFJ

1 1.11%
  • INFJ

9 10.00%
  • INTJ

20 22.22%
  • ISTP

2 2.22%
  • ISFP

1 1.11%
  • INFP

15 16.67%
  • INTP

18 20.00%
  • ESTP

3 3.33%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ENFP

4 4.44%
  • ENTP

5 5.56%
  • ESTJ

1 1.11%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ENFJ

2 2.22%
  • ENTJ

6 6.67%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 83

User Info Menu

Just wondering what the distribution amongst jazz guitarists of this forum looks like.

If you wish, you could declare your profile in this thread. Or keep it confidential.

I misspelt Myers-Briggs. Sorry for being a bad speller.

INTP.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-07-2015 at 04:43 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For me, 4 and 8 (INTJ and INTP.) I have scored both ways.

User Info Menu

I have no idea what these abbreviations mean.

User Info Menu

INTP every time.

I think you might be on to something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    I have no idea what these abbreviations mean.
    The Myers & Briggs Foundation - MBTI® Basics <<<<That should help you out. There are free tests available online. (They aren't as reliable as the more extensive ones given by professionals for a pretty penny, but....)

User Info Menu

I've taken three of these over the years. The third being just now. INTJ
    I've had a different one each time, this thing is bunk in my opinion...or I just changed each time.

User Info Menu

Interesting. Had never heard of this before.

INTJ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000
    I've taken three of these over the years. The third being just now. INTJ
    I've had a different one each time, this thing is bunk in my opinion...or I just changed each time.
    How different are they?
    In my case, I scored the same every time in three respects (INT) and different in only one (T/J). Did you score differently in 2-3 categories?

I think some psychological traits run deep. I was an introverted infant, toddler, schoolboy, young man, not-so-young man, and now fast approaching free senior coffee at McDonald's. (Actually, I think I'm already eligible for that "perk.") I can't imagine scoring any other way.

Thanks for speaking out. It's good to know some people don't find the test accurate.

User Info Menu

i am Instj no category for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    How different are they?
    In my case, I scored the same every time in three respects (INT) and different in only one (T/J). Did you score differently in 2-3 categories?

I think some psychological traits run deep. I was an introverted infant, toddler, schoolboy, young man, not-so-young man, and now fast approaching free senior coffee at McDonald's. (Actually, I think I'm already eligible for that "perk.") I can't imagine scoring any other way.

Thanks for speaking out. It's good to know some people don't find the test accurate.
    Yeah totally different in my case. I forgot exactly what my earlier results were, but I know I've had E,F and P. Think I had N every time. ENTP/ENFP, and INFP are my best guesses now.

There were these tags attached to my results which I can recall. I was caregiver(something to that effect), then visionary and now architect. I suppose this wouldn't help as the tags are different depending on what test you take.

I have only taken one official test when I was in high school, the other two were taken online. Testing service could also differ in reliability.

I have difficulty answering lots of questions too. I'm not the best reader of myself.
    For example : "Would you rather have a plan for XYZ or wing it as you go along?"
    Yes I would rather have a plan but it turns out that I always end up having to wing it.
    "Is your work space/bedroom messy?"
    My bedroom is spick-and-span but my computer room is a nuclear waste zone.

Edit : Took another one right now, INFP. Any last traces of belief I had in this test now broken beyond repair, I will resume shedding Stella. I don't know about the other categories, but like you, I'm definetely an I and don't need the test to tell me that!
    Last edited by pushkar000; 03-07-2015 at 08:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I think the preponderance of Introverts here (-in the poll results so far) is to be expected for an Internet forum devoted to jazz guitar....

User Info Menu

This subject has also come up at All About Jazz.

Jazz fans: What's your Myers-Briggs personality

User Info Menu

I'm ENTP or INTP. I have scored both ways.

User Info Menu

To really be meaningful, we would need to know what the distribution of M-B types is in the general population at large. That way, we could see whether jazz guitarists who frequent this website (which is, of course, only a subset of all jazz guitarists) are any different from the population at large. It would be equally interesting to compare us with other groups such as: rock guitarists, classical guitarists, classical musicians in general, folkies, etc, etc. Without something to compare us to, there's really not much we can do in trying to interpret the information.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jasaco;509628]To really be meaningful, we would need to know what the distribution of M-B types is in the general population at large. QUOTE]

There is data on that. INTP: 2.5 % of the general population. (4% male, 1% female)
    INTJ: 1.5 % of the general population. (2.5 % male, 0.5% female)

The most common types are: ESTJ (13 %), ESFJ (12%), ESFP (11%), and ESTP (10%).

INFJ and INTJ are the two least common types found in the general population. (INFJ is more common among females than males.)

User Info Menu

I have no regard whatever for the Myers-Briggs system and consider it only a step or two above astrology.

Here is the "Skeptic's Dictionary" article on same:

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

User Info Menu

I think some traits run deep, such as introversion and extroversion. They can be detected in newborns after just a few days. Some of us are one way and others are the other. (Well, some are about halfway in between the two.)

User Info Menu

I'm strongly ENTP - unchanged for the last 30 years !

Although for an extrovert I'm s**t scared of playing out !

User Info Menu

INTJ

but the I is really weak, I really pretty much split on the I vs. E (i.e. about half way between the two). If I recall correctly there was something like a 120 scale, 60 to the left as E as you can be and 60 to the right as I as you can be. My score was a 3 to the right, towards the I.

On the N, I was a very strong N.

A question like: Hard or soft?... That's difficult to answer as I'd like to say, it depends. Questions like that make me doubt the validity of the whole thing.
    Last edited by fep; 03-12-2015 at 07:54 PM.

User Info Menu

ENTP
    Extravert(67%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(38%) Perceiving(22%)

• You have distinct preference of Extraversion over Introversion (67%)
    • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
    • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
    • You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)

User Info Menu

I'm only sure about Introvert aspect. Life is not easy for us introverts in general, and particularly in US, in my experience.

User Info Menu

The first time I took the test was on a company wide training scheme for senior managers in a multinational industrial company. On getting feedback from the course director, he told me as that as an ENTP I was pretty rare, as 80% of my colleagues were ISTJs. He reckoned this meant I would either leave quite soon, or end up as CEO.

He also felt that the most desirable category to be in was ENFP, and I can see his point.

I left the company within 2 years and became an academic. Just think, if I had stayed on and become CEO, I would now be driving an S-class Mercedes and boasting of my unique collection of vintage L5's (or whatever). I also wouldn't have any time to play them or fool around on JGF !

Actually, I would never have become the CEO, as my FIRO-B scores were absolutely contrary to it happening.

FIRO-B ? - now there's another thread.

User Info Menu

For me, 4 and 8 (INTJ and INTP.) I have scored both ways.
    The Myers & Briggs Foundation - MBTI® Basics <<<<That should help you out. ...

Hmmm. I've taken the test a few times and could not remember if I test as INTJ or INTP. Then I looked at the poll results. Wow!

I'm sensing a theme here (or maybe I'm intuiting one ).

User Info Menu

When I was in seminary, we all had to take this test in a course on pastoral counseling. Part of the reason was to gain some insight into ourselves; another part was to appreciate that a) others may be different and b) there are several ways to be different.

My best friend had a very high "F" score and I was a total "T". We were very opposite in that way but we became great friends. He once said, "When I preach, I want to make everyone cry!" That was so alien to me I thought he was kidding at first. But he meant it.

Well, as I came to realize, he really didn't want to make everyone cry. He wanted to touch them emotionally and that's how he expressed it. When I feel like someone is trying to make me cry, I get so coldly analytical, I wouldn't grunt, much less cry, if you shot me.

I was an Aquinas guy; he was an Augustine guy. What he learned was that I had emotions too, just not so prominently, and what I learned is that he could think very well but he 'went with his gut' and he could do that in a way that would not work so well for me.

Another thing I learned is that some people can be told this, understand this, and yet still think that everyone who experiences the world differently than they do is somehow wrong....

User Info Menu

INTJ. I just took this free test: INTJ Personality (?The Architect?) | 16Personalities

My most extreme swings were for introverted (69%), and thinking (62%) over feeling.