The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is your Myer-Briggs profile?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTJ

3 3.33%
  • ISFJ

1 1.11%
  • INFJ

9 10.00%
  • INTJ

20 22.22%
  • ISTP

2 2.22%
  • ISFP

1 1.11%
  • INFP

15 16.67%
  • INTP

18 20.00%
  • ESTP

3 3.33%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ENFP

4 4.44%
  • ENTP

5 5.56%
  • ESTJ

1 1.11%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ENFJ

2 2.22%
  • ENTJ

6 6.67%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 83

User Info Menu

I am E/I NTP. I have done the full-blown MBTI several times over maybe 40 years. I always split the difference between Extroversion/Introversion, but strongly Intuitive, Thinking, Perceiving.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Hi David.

My 2c is yes, to the extent that they get in the way of (close) human contact.

Personally, I work with this situation (rather than against it). For example, I only work with musicians with whom I've established empathy and trust (I need to feel comfortably vulnerable when playing).

The same applies to bookings; I rarely seek them, but when I do so it absolutely must be a face-to-face conversation (easier in some cultures than others).

I also use certain performing situations to remain aloof (private functions).

Regarding music schools, I wouldn't dream of attending one as I'm positive it would be crushing for me - and in a way that informal apprenticeships/mentoring, private tuition or jams aren't.

On the other hand, I've learned a huge amount by participating in forum threads and reflecting on my assumptions and beliefs about jazz. I haven't changed my beliefs, but it's changing my behaviour as a performer - and for the better.
    The attitude of the music department varies SO much by school. Although my college days were long ago and mixed instrumental/vocal, my current familiarity is with the operatic/classical vocal subset.

Some schools, it's ALL about "the pedigree". Who you've studied with, what performers Of Note you correspond with, what Master classes you've taken. One is expected to at least mostly be able to perform at the proper level, but between two students, the one with more Pedigree will be more popular and respected than the one without, the introvert that just sings the heart out of the arias.

And there are other schools where the staff don't give a crap about "Pedigree", often because most of the staff have had a major singing career. Wichita State would fit here. They've sung in all the great "houses", with voices good, GREAT, and ... problematic. They are bored with Pedigree and Being Social for the purposes of raising money for some Opera company.

They love *singing*, but ... it's got to be both technically correct AND ... smoothly, incredibly, emotional.

At such a place, many of the better students are rather introverted. And valued. They actually think about the material they're learning to perform. Not about making it razzle.

Humans being well, Human, this happens in other music forms also. And is why it's so important to visit several places to see where you would actually thrive.

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

Pop pseudoscience... for example, extraversion does not mean that one is happy in crowds and uncomfortable alone, nor the reverse for introversion. It does not mean the source of influence.

The real meaning is the distinction between the conditions (alone or in a crowd) where you are renewed, recharged, replenished, where you develop and build yourself, versus where you are drained, discharged, consumed, and where you wear out and decay.

User Info Menu

Intp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    INTJ. I just took this free test: INTJ Personality (?The Architect?) | 16Personalities

My most extreme swings were for introverted (69%), and thinking (62%) over feeling.
    Wow. A few thoughts of mine:

First. I am an architect. Been licensed for over 30 years now.

Second. Many years ago in architecture school I ran across a book (I think it was in Strand Books in NYC if anyone knows the place) that analyzed architects and personality types. It was fascinating, but I was short on cash and didn’t buy it. I never found it again and always wanted to. Working with so many other architects over the years has been an interesting study of personalities for me. That got magnified further by going to business school after I became licensed and changing my perspective on the architectural profession. I got to check out the website that you linked.

Third. Per the Myers-Briggs I have always tested to be an ENTJ, so I am generally not introverted. However, I have never put any importance on that test. It is too easy to answer the questions to get a result as to how you would like to be perceived by others.

Fourth. I play guitar mostly for myself. Sure my family listens and I have played with others on rare occasions, but I have never had the desire to be performer. I guess in that way I am more of an introvert.

User Info Menu

I am an INTJ.

I am astonished at the dominance of the very rare INTJ type here. I see a lot of personality testing in my workplace and i have nearly always been on my own as an INTJ.

Its a fascinating result. I need to think about this more.

User Info Menu

"In social science, we use four standards: Are the categories reliable, valid, independent and comprehensive? For the MBTI, the evidence says not very, no, no, and not really.”
    How Accurate Is the Myers-Briggs Personality Test? LiveScience

User Info Menu

I don't think this has a scientific basis; because the test says I'm a DOLT, though I'm sure I'm a STAR.

User Info Menu

Mbti is not supremely precise but it is still insightful and useful. The big 5 personality test is superior.

INTJ overrepresentation here is fascinating.

User Info Menu

Yipes! Another INTP Jazz guitarist here!

So, that last indicator J or P...

J = theory?
    P = by ear?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Solo Flight
    FWIW, this is a description of the INTJ personality (or so says one website). Comparing this to some of the posts on this forum is enlightening/amusing.

Portrait of an INTJ - Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging
    (Introverted Intuition with Extraverted Thinking)

The Scientist

As an INTJ, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you take things in primarily via your intuition. Your secondary mode is external, where you deal with things rationally and logically.

INTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others.

With Introverted Intuition dominating their personality, INTJs focus their energy on observing the world, and generating ideas and possibilities. Their mind constantly gathers information and makes associations about it. They are tremendously insightful and usually are very quick to understand new ideas. However, their primary interest is not understanding a concept, but rather applying that concept in a useful way. Unlike the INTP, they do not follow an idea as far as they possibly can, seeking only to understand it fully. INTJs are driven to come to conclusions about ideas. Their need for closure and organization usually requires that they take some action.

INTJ's tremendous value and need for systems and organization, combined with their natural insightfulness, makes them excellent scientists. An INTJ scientist gives a gift to society by putting their ideas into a useful form for others to follow. It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear. However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort.

INTJs are natural leaders, although they usually choose to remain in the background until they see a real need to take over the lead. When they are in leadership roles, they are quite effective, because they are able to objectively see the reality of a situation, and are adaptable enough to change things which aren't working well. They are the supreme strategists - always scanning available ideas and concepts and weighing them against their current strategy, to plan for every conceivable contingency.

INTJs spend a lot of time inside their own minds, and may have little interest in the other people's thoughts or feelings. Unless their Feeling side is developed, they may have problems giving other people the level of intimacy that is needed. Unless their Sensing side is developed, they may have a tendency to ignore details which are necessary for implementing their ideas.

The INTJ's interest in dealing with the world is to make decisions, express judgments, and put everything that they encounter into an understandable and rational system. Consequently, they are quick to express judgments. Often they have very evolved intuitions, and are convinced that they are right about things. Unless they complement their intuitive understanding with a well-developed ability to express their insights, they may find themselves frequently misunderstood. In these cases, INTJs tend to blame misunderstandings on the limitations of the other party, rather than on their own difficulty in expressing themselves. This tendency may cause the INTJ to dismiss others input too quickly, and to become generally arrogant and elitist.

INTJs are ambitious, self-confident, deliberate, long-range thinkers. Many INTJs end up in engineering or scientific pursuits, although some find enough challenge within the business world in areas which involve organizing and strategic planning. They dislike messiness and inefficiency, and anything that is muddled or unclear. They value clarity and efficiency, and will put enormous amounts of energy and time into consolidating their insights into structured patterns.

Other people may have a difficult time understanding an INTJ. They may see them as aloof and reserved. Indeed, the INTJ is not overly demonstrative of their affections, and is likely to not give as much praise or positive support as others may need or desire. That doesn't mean that he or she doesn't truly have affection or regard for others, they simply do not typically feel the need to express it. Others may falsely perceive the INTJ as being rigid and set in their ways. Nothing could be further from the truth, because the INTJ is committed to always finding the objective best strategy to implement their ideas. The INTJ is usually quite open to hearing an alternative way of doing something.

When under a great deal of stress, the INTJ may become obsessed with mindless repetitive, Sensate activities, such as over-drinking. They may also tend to become absorbed with minutia and details that they would not normally consider important to their overall goal.

INTJs need to remember to express themselves sufficiently, so as to avoid difficulties with people misunderstandings. In the absence of properly developing their communication abilities, they may become abrupt and short with people, and isolationists. INTJs have a tremendous amount of ability to accomplish great things. They have insight into the Big Picture, and are driven to synthesize their concepts into solid plans of action. Their reasoning skills gives them the means to accomplish that. INTJs are most always highly competent people, and will not have a problem meeting their career or education goals. They have the capability to make great strides in these arenas. On a personal level, the INTJ who practices tolerances and puts effort into effectively communicating their insights to others has everything in his or her power to lead a rich and rewarding life.
    Who wrote this originally? Just one person? What was their MB profile?? How does that influence how they perceive the personality traits of others (or indeed their own)?

User Info Menu

I just took it and was determined to be ENTJ-A, “Commander”, whatever that means. It showed a little general type man with a sword issuing orders, lol.

I laughed immediately and my wife said “perfect”.

The truth is, these things aren’t perfect, but maybe they’re in the ballpark.

User Info Menu

One thing for sure, Meyers-Briggs is a big time money maker.

A consultant came into a place I worked, set up a workshop for the execs based on Myers-Briggs personality types and working together based on that.

He ingratiated himself with the President/founder.

Then there were the workshops for the directors, then the managers, then the other Corp employees, then the field regionals etc.

He fed from the corporate trough for a couple of years, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Perhaps that was the main purpose of the Meyers-Briggs tests.

User Info Menu

People seem to like categorizing things. Whether or not the categories are valid.

User Info Menu

I just had to do this for a class I'm taking, interesting stuff. Here's my "diagnosis" lol

INFP-A - Assertive Mediator / Diplomat

Although they may seem quiet or unassuming, Mediators (INFPs) have vibrant, passionate inner lives. Creative and imaginative, they happily lose themselves in daydreams, inventing all sorts of stories and conversations in their minds. These personalities are known for their sensitivity – Mediators can have profound emotional responses to music, art, nature, and the people around them. Idealistic and empathetic, Mediators long for deep, soulful relationships, and they feel called to help others. But because this personality type makes up such a small portion of the population, Mediators may sometimes feel lonely or invisible, adrift in a world that doesn’t seem to appreciate the traits that make them unique.

User Info Menu

From NPR piece on the origins of MB tests: https://www.npr.org/2018/09/22/65001...iving-room-lab

User Info Menu

I have taken this once or twice, but don't recall my scores or profile.

My GF used to work for Gallup, so she was really into this stuff. She said my profile was "exactly what she would expect" after knowing me awhile, whatever that means.

When I was doing the online dating thing I remember one profile where the woman posted "If you haven't taken a Myers-Briggs test, don't even think of responding." I didn't respond. Maybe I missed out on a lot of woman.

User Info Menu

Most of the time when asked to take one of these, maybe once every several years, it's INFP. And, depending on the test type, with a T tacked on. That puts me in the "Turbulent Mediator" category, which based on the results here at the time of posting is the 3rd commonest trait of jazz guitarists.

Perhaps these tests are more, or less, accurate depending on the traits and attitudes to test-taking. One would imagine, though not in my case, that the results may vary depending on time and place.

Part of me sees these as amusing and a tad narcissistic; part is uncomfortable with their accuracy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I have taken this once or twice, but don't recall my scores or profile.

My GF used to work for Gallup, so she was really into this stuff. She said my profile was "exactly what she would expect" after knowing me awhile, whatever that means.

When I was doing the online dating thing I remember one profile where the woman posted "If you haven't taken a Myers-Briggs test, don't even think of responding." I didn't respond. Maybe I missed out on a lot of woman.
    Either that, or her type was.... control freak beotch.

Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

I've had an interest in and followed the advice of these personality tests for years, there is certainly something to them, from my perspective.
    im an infp, but I see a lot more "t" types here... I wonder if jazz in general brings in more thinking types based in the heavy thought process involved in getting good at jazz. I have always struggled with the logic of jazz, but love the music and found a means of getting better over the years. I think the infp is too abstractly creative for lack of a better term. I've often felt that I'd be a better songwriter than a player, but love improvisation so much I can't stop it now?

User Info Menu

I thought this was gonna be a lawnmower engine thread

User Info Menu

I got RUFKM. Is that good?

User Info Menu

Well myers briggs is pure pseudoscience, but then again so is all psychology

Why the Myers-Briggs test is totally meaningless - Vox

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I got RUFKM. Is that good?
    Ain’t good, ain’t bad. Just is.

User Info Menu

I've tried doing the test twice, and found it full of questions relating to things and attitudes I have never thought about, and therefore have no opinion on. Also, some of the questions required much fuller answers than the test allowed me to give. My conclusion is that, as some others have said, it's pseudoscience, with no value whatsoever. Just my opinion, of course. I guess I'm in the DGAF category.