Posts 201 to 225 of 228

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    What? You mean it wasn't a comedy?
    Oh, sorry.
    Oh, it's all right. You're seem a fine comedian yourself. Carry on

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very funny movie, but as a serious movie it seemed unrealistic to me.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine's date, they'd sit to watch a movie, when she said "WTF is this, this can not be in real life, I don't want to wathch this crap". If you want to watch real life, sit on bench in the park, or watch some doccumentary, or Big Brother, or whatever. This is the art of film making. Art as in artificial, not natural, man made ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tacofarm
    Yes, that's what I was getting at when I said it should have been a comedy.

Two friends of mine who have been jazz ensemble and band teachers for about thirty years, were in hysterics when they saw the movie in a theater.
    They knew that the first time the teacher laid his hands on any student, cursed or did any of the other hundreds of things this maniac was doing throughout the film, he would have been sued, fired and arrested.

One friend of mine was put in handcuffs and arrested after he defended himself when a student took a swing at him.

Another teacher I knew tried to stop a student from leaving early by blocking his way with his hands. The student said, "That's assault", and the teacher was brought to trial.

I was a band/jazz ensemble teacher for many years, and found the film entertaining, but hilarious in its ridiculous depiction of a maniacal jazz ensemble director.

Music teacher friends of mine have been telling me that students who saw the film are re-enacting various scenes from the film in their rehearsals, and having a jolly old time making fun of the film.

My main concern is how the movie is going to affect peoples' attitudes towards jazz.
    Obviously, jazz needs all the help it can get, and the fact that it won a few Oscars might have some impact, but they said on the IMDB that Whiplash set a record for the film with the lowest attendance to ever win an Oscar.

The music in the film was fine, and I wonder if any of the big bands I play with are going to start playing "Caravan" on their gigs.
    I have a steady gig this summer playing with a big band that features a drummer who idolizes Buddy Rich, and I wonder if we're going to be playing any music from the film.

People really respond to big band arrangements like "Sing, Sing, Sing" and "Caravan".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tacofarm
    Imagine that. A drama that wasn't realistic, lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer
    I just watched the movie. It was mildly entertaining. Yes, it's not about jazz or really about music. It could very well have been a sports movie with the abusive coach or an army movie with the abusive drill sergeant (Heartbreak Ridge comes to mind). Some parts were a little over the top. The romance part seemed pointless and didn't really go anywhere and I did find it kind of depressing. They do mention the Charlie Parker Jo Jones cymbal throwing incident but they don't really delve much into why it happened. Having read the "Bird Lives" biography I know well why Jo Jones became frustrated with the young Parker. It was because Bird could only play sax in one key and of course not the key the band was playing in at that time....anyhow...

The acting was fine but not excellent or riveting. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 rating.
    oh come on. You try to play that drummer role and let's see how you do!

User Info Menu

Two friends of mine who have been jazz ensemble and band teachers for about thirty years, were in hysterics when they saw the movie in a theater.

They knew that the first time the teacher laid his hands on any student, cursed or did any of the other hundreds of things this maniac was doing throughout the film, he would have been sued, fired and arrested.

One friend of mine was put in handcuffs and arrested after he defended himself when a student took a swing at him.

Another teacher I knew tried to stop a student from leaving early by blocking his way with his hands. The student said, "That's assault", and the teacher was brought to trial.
    That's what's so disgusting with education in America( I assume you're American). I don't advocate physical violence in a classroom, but the situations you described above are f..d up in my book. I'm so glad I wasn't growing up in US.

Loved the movie, and I'm laughing at how people put it down and take themselves so seriously and think they know everything and the reality is so clear for them, so they judging as they are insiders and the rest are just uninformed fools. Plus of course, zero imagination, and stuck up attitude. Jazz snobs at their best.

User Info Menu

I was a band/jazz ensemble teacher for many years, and found the film entertaining, but hilarious in its ridiculous depiction of a maniacal jazz ensemble director.

Music teacher friends of mine have been telling me that students who saw the film are re-enacting various scenes from the film in their rehearsals, and having a jolly old time making fun of the film.

My main concern is how the movie is going to affect peoples' attitudes towards jazz.
    Obviously, jazz needs all the help it can get, and the fact that it won a few Oscars might have some impact, but they said on the IMDB that Whiplash set a record for the film with the lowest attendance to ever win an Oscar.

The music in the film was fine, and I wonder if any of the big bands I play with are going to start playing "Caravan" on their gigs.
    I have a steady gig this summer playing with a big band that features a drummer who idolizes Buddy Rich, and I wonder if we're going to be playing any music from the film.

People really respond to big band arrangements like "Sing, Sing, Sing" and "Caravan".
    Yeah, but we kind of covered this before.

In other words, you have cited two real life examples where people got physical in class. So the stretching of the truth in the movie is that it took so long to fire the guy - but he was fired.

When one goes to see a movie, they frequently have to be engaged in a "willful suspension of disbelief", if just for a couple of hours. The storytellers want to pretend a little bit, and if you want to be entertained, you have to pretend along with them while you munch on your popcorn.

Just consider how much pretending one has to do with the following: James Bond, The Bourne Identity, Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, Mission Impossible, Taken 1/2/3, Fast & Furious, Marvel series by Disney (really any action movie that you can name), An inconvenient Truth, and so on, you get it.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's why all them dang Star War movies suck....they're so fake....light sabers...get real....Yoda can't even freakin' talk right...you can tell he's a puppet...no entertainment value at all.

User Info Menu

Hey, I didn't say it wasn't entertaining. I duped it on to video tape and I'm going to be re-watching it and showing it to people for years. I had a pisser watching this flick!

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    When one goes to see a movie, they frequently have to be engaged in a "willful suspension of disbelief", if just for a couple of hours.
    Observing one's emotional responses can make watching movies educational as well as entertaining - 'projection', indeed.

User Info Menu

Another view of Whiplash. One of the sax players from church house band I worked at played on the sound track was was in the band at the end of the movie. So he put up a page of the chart for grins.

Whiplash the Movie-whiplash-jpg

User Info Menu

I'd like to see a mashup of Whiplash and Full Metal Jacket. I bet those 2 instructors could trade some insults.

User Info Menu

A bit late, I've Just watched the Whiplash film, I enjoyed it, I found it very entertaining and the music was very well played. These types of films are not factual, they are entertainment.

But, hopefully the film can be used by parents to deter their children from going to music college or having music lessons.

It's on the BBC iplayer, for UK residents.

User Info Menu

I can’t believe it was 7 years ago...seems like it was only yesterday I saw it!

Really enjoyed it, and it’s one of the few movies that has stuck with me for quite a long time. If we take it out of the music school context it’s really a movie about the parasitic relationship between a student and teacher.

I think I mentioned this above...at my age I repeat myself a lot anyway...but it jibes with many incidents I experienced or witnessed or heard about during medical training. It’s not quite so abusive these days for sure, but in the old days...

My sister went to DO school for a couple of years in the 90’s before leaving when she had a complicated pregnancy with twins. Once she was assisting a surgeon doing an abdominal procedure. He told her, “Here, touch the pancreas.” She did. He then slapped her hand and yelled at her “Nobody touches the pancreas!!” Not joking either. Psychopath.

User Info Menu

In case it hasn't been posted already;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    That's what's so disgusting with education in America( I assume you're American). I don't advocate physical violence in a classroom, but the situations you described above are f..d up in my book. I'm so glad I wasn't growing up in US. .
    Education in the US is ripe for criticism.
    My older brother, after retiring from the Air Force and trying a few different things (Geico, driving an 18 wheeler) got a gig as a substitute teacher in Macon, GA.
    Kids can tell you to "f*ck off" and there's nothing you can do. They can threaten you, they can scare you. (This is especially daunting for female teachers of small stature---many quit or retire early to get away from it.)
    Aside from the stress this causes teachers, it distracts interested students who are trying to learn.

I live in South Florida and there's a front-page story in today's (Sunday) paper about how often the county schools have invoked the Baker Act to send troublesome kids, some in elementary schools, for psych evals and follow-ups. I don't think that many kids are nuts but I do think a lot of school faculty feel they have no better way to deal with disruptive kids, some of whom are violent.

The POV of the article is that the Act was not intended to be used so much for school kids. I think that's true. I also think many schools have no other way to remove certain kids from the classroom. It's a mess.

User Info Menu

A crap movie with the kind of crap “jazz” that only justifies the mass opinion that jazz is no good. I can’t imagine one person who didn’t like jazz before seeing the movie being turned on to jazz afterward.

At the part where The Kid gets t-boned in his car I was hoping the movie was going to swerve into a “Million Dollar Baby” situation, where The Kid becomes totally paralyzed and eventually convinces the hardass jazz band director to mercy-smother him in the hospital. Then we cut to the next semester and see the now wiser and softer band director hugging and encouraging his new crop of jazz aspirants. We pull back to see a picture of The Kid on his desk. Fade to black. Not original, but a better ending.

User Info Menu

we are farmers...
    dum-dada-dum-dada-dum-dum-dum

User Info Menu

It has the Irreversible vibe. Wath Irreversible first. Then watch Whiplash.
    I mean.. try to watch it.

User Info Menu

Great movie, people loved it. A coming of age story, and a story about overcoming adversity. Could have had a sports or otherwise macho activity setting, but used jazz drumming and NYC jazz school instead.

Exaggerated? Sure. It was a Hollywood movie. But it resonated with people.

I saw it on a summer Saturday afternoon in flyover country and the audience was relatively small. When the credits rolled there was enthusiastic applause. Speaks for itself.

User Info Menu

Sounds awful. Glad I did not see it. Here's to nicer endings: That Thing You Do!, epilogue, "Guy and Faye are married with four children in Bainbridge Island, Washington, where Guy teaches jazz composition at their own music conservatory."

User Info Menu

Whiplash was entertaining in a corporate noise way.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed it so much I purchased the 4k version after already owning the blu ray.

User Info Menu

They could have chosen to make the same movie about an art school, and it would have made just as much sense. Watching intimidated art students sweating, flexing muscles, and breaking pencils when trying to win those fastest painter contests.