The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 111 of 111

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    The reason Oscar Peterson is not the greatest jazz pianist ever, IMO, is that his groups are far from the greatest. He may be very good at playing the piano is a jazz style--but Tatum could play rings around him. Tatum also was not a fellow who brought out the best in other musicians---they were 2nd bananas to his playing. (I also think Tatum's playing sometimes is not even improvisation--but rather incredibly ornamented and curlicued elaborations of the main work. It is almost as if his technical facility, and desire to show it, gets in the way of his saying anything authentic.)
    I know this is very old, but I take great exception to this comment. Oscar had done remarkable trios. Ray Brown?? Are you kidding me? One of the absolute greatest swinging, hard driving bassists in jazz. And Ed Thigpen drums, brushes? A master. So I’m not sure. I’ve seen this comment through the years and just let it go. But I thought I’d chime in. Totally different than the Bill Evans trios. He didn’t swing like Oscar. He needed a more sensitive, impressionistic group. Different style. Doesn’t mean either was better or worse than the other.

Frankly I have a hard time listening to either for very long periods. But I can take a lot of Oscar for limited times. Once every couple of years I get into Oscar for a week, then I can take any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I know this is very old, but I take great exception to this comment. Oscar had done remarkable trios. Ray Brown?? Are you kidding me? One of the absolute greatest swinging, hard driving bassists in jazz. And Ed Thigpen drums, brushes? A master. So I’m not sure. I’ve seen this comment through the years and just let it go. But I thought I’d chime in. Totally different than the Bill Evans trios. He didn’t swing like Oscar. He needed a more sensitive, impressionistic group. Different style. Doesn’t mean either was better or worse than the other.

Frankly I have a hard time listening to either for very long periods. But I can take a lot of Oscar for limited times. Once every couple of years I get into Oscar for a week, then I can take any more.

I agree Oscar's trios are EPIC! Probably the most storied long-running small group in jazz history. Those recordings with Joe Pass and Herb Ellis--aw man. He made ALL his colleagues sound great.

Tatum was probably more technically proficient--he was kind of a Aspergian savant in this regard and did little outside of eating (lots), drinking (lots) and playing piano. I don't think he slept much either. But he didn't improvise on the spot too much to my knowledge. There's a video of him playing Jitterbug Waltz--incredible playing--and it's identical note for note with the studio recording.

While I love these guys, personally I prefer Chick, Herbie, Bill Evans and Erroll Mann, just because of their unique voice and the feel they bring to their songs.

User Info Menu

Yeah. I’m a huge Chick, Herbie fan. Jarrett less do lately. I love Brad Mehldau. Sp? But also love Cedar Walton and Red Garland. Phineas. Going over my old ground again.

User Info Menu

Any one mention Dave Brubeck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    Any one mention Dave Brubeck.
    There’s a reason. I love Brubeck but he’s never been known as a great pianist, as far as I know.

User Info Menu

A few of my favorites are:

Oscar Peterson
    Art Tatum
    Red Garland
    Tommy Flanagan

User Info Menu

Kenny Barron

User Info Menu

I don't know about "best" or even if he was mentioned in this thread, but I have always dug Kenny Drew.

User Info Menu

Probably not Les Dawson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I don't know about "best" or even if he was mentioned in this thread, but I have always dug Kenny Drew.
    Funny but yesterday I was going to mention Kenny Drew but this thread is titled 'best Jazz pianist ever' and so I wimped out. I find the term 'best' to be bogus unless the participants in such a discussion are some of the 'best' in their respective field.

Anyhow, I really dig Kenny Drew because he isn't too busy, there is breathing-room in his solos and he is very melodic. I have all the albums Drew did with Philip Catherine as well as some others.

User Info Menu

Just finished listening to the Oscar Peterson Trio's Encore at the Blue Note recorded March, 1990 (length: 74:49) with Herb Ellis, Ray Brown, and Bobby Durham. The digital CD version is a treasure.