The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

My studio is small and cluttered (I could fart in there and blow my brains out). The sitting room, where we have guests spend the night, is right behind my wife’s office, because of that I don’t play in there unless she’s not home.I finally decided to practice in the dining room down stairs. I have the dining room table to spread out all my materials (I use a board on and angle for a music stand, using Gibson stands,that way I can put out three or more pieces to practice with; chords, scales,theory, etc).Using the dining room has been a boon, as in I can practice without disturbing anyone and I have more than enough room to move around with my instrument without fear of risking dings and knocking things over. So, what part of your abode do you do the deed?
    Last edited by valdae; 08-27-2014 at 12:01 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I live in a tiny studio apartment so pretty much everything in one room. I like it my only complaint is I could use more storage space, I have lots of boxes of CD's, music books and computer stuffage. Actually making me try to get rid of more stuff. When I had my house I used a dining room table for my computer and practice area and liked it. With music stand to side I could queue up things on the computer and play/write music, just swivel in my chair. At one point I even had a MIDI keyboard in front of the computer monitor to work with various things. I had a whole house to myself, but spent 95% of my time in my bed/music/computer/TV/dining room. That's why I knew moving to a tiny apartment would work for me.

Oh if you check online you can order desktop music stands. There are typical stand, but have small support peg in back, schools use them. At one point in my house I had a small recording setup on a desk in another room and used a desktop stand for it.

User Info Menu

I have a studio off the kitchen. It's fairly sizable. Mostly I practice in the morning when most of the peeps are either gone or, not yet up or making coffee or breakfast. If I'm doing studio work they just have to make room for me. That's a priority.

User Info Menu

I currently live in a two bedroom house. I've made the front bedroom into an office/study. All my music magazines are shelved in magazine file boxes that tell me the name, years and volumes of the magazines for quick reference. My computer, practice amp and guitar are in the room along with an assortment of CDs that are of current interest. The bulk of my CDs are shelved in alphabetical order in the bedroom. All of the music books are sorted by subject and style into three file cabinets.

User Info Menu

I practice in my room.

User Info Menu

I have a small, bedroom-size "den" in a finished basement that is all mine. I have multiple PCs and guitars in there, and that's where I record, practice, transcribe, etc. A musician's "man-cave."

User Info Menu

Anywhere I can!

Backyard, living room after everyone's asleep, basement, my classroom during lunch or after school, the studio where I teach between lessons, I run through tunes in my head on the bus, in line at the grocery store, the bathroom...

User Info Menu

Bedroom.

User Info Menu

back deck is very inspirational when the weather is good, which is about half the year; I do 3-4 hours out there in the morning, more recording and experimenting late at night in my basement studio with a Mac running Logic and Finale with lots of plug-ins and extras, have done good demos and even a few tracks for published CDs here. practice lots of right-hand technique in the car, found a little guitar fingerboard with nylon strings that I attached to my seat belt, great for rasgeados and alternation studies.

User Info Menu

Where Do You Practice Guitar?-img_0275-jpg

I built this desk 6 weeks ago out of MDF board and pine (well a friend built it & I helped). In my apartment, the kitchen/living room doubles as my practice/teaching room, so I needed to maximise space and built the desk to fit accordingly (eg. there's a kitchen cupboard that opens to the left of the desk with a clearance of exactly 2cm). It's long enough to fit my gear without clutter, but not too wide (distance from wall to chair) to take up valuable floor space. It's kinda utilitarian, but I like it.

I live behind a cafe with no nearby residential neighbours, so I can play and record in the early hours of the morning and not bother anyone. The room acoustics are good on account of the high ceiling as well. There's not much that I need to be content, but a decent practice environment is one of them.

User Info Menu

I guess you could call it my man-cave...

Where Do You Practice Guitar?-jim_cave-jpg

User Info Menu

Ever since we switched to oil heat, I've got the woodshed all to myself...

User Info Menu

I live in a small basement apartment (1100 sq ft) in my daughters home. I designed and built it myself about 10 years ago to retire in. I have a small home studio (250 sq ft) that is my music home and I record, practice, study and play there 2-4 hrs daily. It is small but very comfortable for my needs. The apartment is like living in a cave (It is about 1/2 underground). It is well insulated, heating and cooling is not costly. I mostly practice in the morning hours and occasionally will spend the whole day in there listening and learning.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 08-28-2014 at 01:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Golly Wiz, what's small to you in Arizona is pretty big in other locales. 250 sq ft studio is big enough to rehearse an octet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    I live in a small basement apartment (1100 sq ft) in my daughters home. I designed and built it myself about 10 years ago to retire in. I have a small home studio (250 sq ft) that is my music home and I record, practice, study and play there 2-4 hrs daily. It is small but very comfortable for my needs. The apartment is like living in a cave (It is about 1/2 underground). It is well insulated, heating and cooling is not costly. I mostly practice in the morning hours and occasionally will spend the whole day in there listening and learning.

wiz
    My old house was only 1100 sq feet and my current apartment is just little over 250 sq feet. I'd get lost in place that big <grin>.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    I guess you could call it my man-cave...
    That Bob Wills flyer caught my eye----I just posted him and his band's version of "Basin Street Blues" on another thread.

User Info Menu

Mostly in my car in a lay-by if I am singing. Or a super market car park if not.

User Info Menu

INmyLIVINGroom,SOMETIMESinMYbedROOM

User Info Menu

In the morning and at lunch I grab an open conference room at the office, that gives me an hour and 45. Then when at home it's either in the den or the living room. The l.r. has vault like qualities which make for great acoustics. No need to amp up the Cremona in there. I usually get a couple of hours a day at home. At this trate by the time I'm 100 I shall have mastered something sounding similar to jazz.

User Info Menu

I practice in the living room on the sofa
    if I'm working out a new piece or a really tricky section of a solo Ive got a stool in the dining room next to the amp with a tape recorder

& CD player playing the track over & over .. recently I've been attempting 'king of the world' by Denny Dias of Steely Dan fame

once I've got the section of the solo I'm searchin for , I unplug , move to the lounge & just keep repeating the lick all day or night
    then go back to the dining area to play along--

It sounds soooo ... simple !

The reality, it's been years .... espec Bodhisatva

Otheriwse I'm in church with a band

Tony

User Info Menu

We have a home with a sun patio that I use for practicing. We're in Southern California so the room can get rather warm during the day. I practice mostly evening after it cools down or early mornings. It's beautiful then & I don't have to share the space with anyone. I can keep my amps, looper pedal and all books set up. Nice.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'd like a sun patio as a practice room. Whenever I see one in someone's house I always think 'that would made a cool practice room'

User Info Menu

Yeah
    My dining room backs onto a patio--- in SE London ! not much Californian sun around these parts !

Tony
    Ladywell Lewisham
    SE london