Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

+1 on triple scoop/triple treat

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone

Stewart gets great tone from his 30s 150...the cutaway didn't saw off any of the tone.
    When I was getting a CC pickup installed in my Loar by Dublin luthier and guitarist John Moriarty, I was asking him about genuine Gibson specs for the instrument. He told me that Es-150 was given to Louis by Bucky Pizzarelli. John had done some work on that guitar in the past. Wow. Sounds great.

User Info Menu

Great. One of my favorite guitars from one of my favorite guitarists. Thanks for the tidbit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    Check out the Triple Scoop/Triple treat albums by Ray Brown, Herb Ellis and Monty Alexander
    This thread is turning into a great resource! I'd never heard this stuff before. While searching Google Music for it, I found another called "Straight Ahead" by Alexander, Brown, and Ellis (listed under Alexander). All fantastic records and I'm now more of an Ellis fan than before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kamlapati
    Jim Hall Live!
    And Jim Hall Live Vols 2-4, released a couple of years ago and recorded at the same gigs (a 2 week stretch, IIRC) at Bourbon Street in Toronto. Bassist Don Thompson did the recordings, basically just turning the machine on and letting it run. The new volumes are beautifully mastered and the playing is Jim Hall at one of his creative peaks with Thompson and drummer Terry Clarke being right there every beat. Superb ensemble playing and my favorite jazz guitar recordings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kamlapati
    This thread is turning into a great resource! I'd never heard this stuff before. While searching Google Music for it, I found another called "Straight Ahead" by Alexander, Brown, and Ellis (listed under Alexander). All fantastic records and I'm now more of an Ellis fan than before.
    There was also the "Soft Winds" trio that Herb played in during the 40's. I've only ever heard a couple of tunes by them on the Properbox " Hittin' On All Six" box, but nice guit/pno/bass trio.
    It seems there is a CD which contains some radio transcriptions from the 40's combined with some new tracks cut by the same group in '95. The piano player, Louis Frigo, plays violin on all the newer cuts.

Here's the amazon link.

Amazon.com: Frigo, John/herb Ellis/cart Soft Winds -then And Now- Other Swing: Music

User Info Menu

I always understood that Soft Winds was Herb Ellis guitar, Lou Carter piano and John Frigo violin. John Frigo was also a bass player so perhaps he played bass.

"Pianist Lou Carter told journalist Robert Dupuis in a 1996 interview, "The Dorsey band had a six-week hole in the schedule. The three of us had played together some with the big band. John Frigo, who had already left the band, knew the owner of the Peter Stuyvesant Hotel in Buffalo. We went in there and stayed six months. And that's how the group the Soft Winds were born." Together with Frigo and Lou Carter, Ellis wrote the classic jazz standard "Detour Ahead". The Soft Winds group was fashioned after the Nat King Cole Trio. They stayed together until 1952. Ellis then joined the Oscar Peterson Trio (replacing Barney Kessell) in 1953, forming what Scott Yanow would later on refer to as "one of the most memorable of all the piano, guitar, and bass trios in jazz history".
    Last edited by Para; 09-04-2014 at 02:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Sorry all. My mistake, Thanks Para, you're absolutely correct. John Frigo plays bass and violin.

User Info Menu

"The Triple Treat Blues," courtesy of Monty Alexander, Ray Brown, and Herb Ellis.

I hadn't heard of these records before. Thanks for mentioning 'em, guys!

User Info Menu

As a special treat, I received Triple Treat from Herb for my 30th birthday. ;-)

User Info Menu

Concord Jazz Guitar Collection by Jimmy Bruno, Howard Alden, and Frank Vignola.

Shivers by New Guitar Summit (Duke Robillard, Jay Geils, Gerry Beaudoin)

btw, I realize these aren't from the 50's - 70's, but they are very good.
    Last edited by snoskier63; 09-05-2014 at 08:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    As a special treat, I received Triple Treat from Herb for my 30th birthday. ;-)
    That would probably be the highlight of my life. I did get some instruction and advice from him once many years ago.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney and Hank Garland.......