The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

i'm shopping for more music for my library. i value your opinions, so lets have them! thanks, jay

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are a lot of great ones, it would be disrespectful to the others to pick one.

Try searching thru artist catalogues on your own, and reading reviews, and pick a few. You will probably learn a lot.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall Live!

User Info Menu

kamlapati, thank you! thank you! thank you! how could i forget? i'm adding it to my cart!

User Info Menu

stan. you're kidding. right?

User Info Menu

i just checked out your web page. nice playing, nice guitar sounds. nice sounding family, as well. i'm checking out trenier guitars now because of your sound, thanks again. jay

User Info Menu

Oscar Peterson's 1950s trios, with Ray Brown on bass, and Irving Ashby, Barney Kessel, or Herb Ellis on guitar.

Not 50s-70s, but the Nat King Cole Trio with Oscar Moore (followed by Irving Ashby) in the 1940s is the one that influenced the others that followed.

User Info Menu

nice choices eddie lang. oscar moore was fantastic, but i'm not familiar with mr. ashby. i used to see herb ellis at a club called 'dante's' in n. hollywood when i lived there. monday night was guitar night. every monday, a different guitarist. i remember seeing mundell lowe, herb ellis, ron eschete, larry carlton. thanks for the memories. i wonder if there are any transcriptions of oscar's floating around the net? ever hear of any? cheers, jay

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery's A Dynamic New Sound. Organ trio, of course.

Outatune: thanks for the props on my playing! (And my musical children!) Although I know that great sound can be had in many ways, I do count my blessings every morning when I play one of my Treniers.

User Info Menu

As they come to mind:
    The Trio - 'The Trio' (find it by searching for Billy Bean, Walter Norris and Hal Gaylor)
    Pat Metheny - 'Bright Size Life'
    The Jimmy Giuffre trios with Jim Hall
    Pat Martino/Gene Ludwig - 'Young Guns'
    Jack Wilkins - 'Windows'

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell's "All Night Long" was one of the very first live guitar trio recordings, and a great one, for sure. Charlie Byrd's trio stuff on Riverside is pretty nice, as were Bola Sete's early records. The Kessel-Brown-Manne Poll Winners series is excellent. John McLaughlin's "After The Rain" and "Live at Royal Festival Hall" are great, and "Princess Seta" by Dominique diPiazza with the phenomenal Nelson Veras on guitar is a special treat, very high-level playing and listening. The Red Norvo Trio with Jimmy Raney and Red Mitchell is superb. And finally, the "Gateway" records of John Abercrombie with Holland and DeJohnette are critical listening for post-bop styles. Along with the above-mentioned gems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by outatune13
    nice choices eddie lang. oscar moore was fantastic, but i'm not familiar with mr. ashby. i used to see herb ellis at a club called 'dante's' in n. hollywood when i lived there. monday night was guitar night. every monday, a different guitarist. i remember seeing mundell lowe, herb ellis, ron eschete, larry carlton. thanks for the memories. i wonder if there are any transcriptions of oscar's floating around the net? ever hear of any? cheers, jay
    Wow! I would have love to have the possibility to see those guys on a regular basis.

There was a folio of Moore's solos hanging around on ebay for a long time. NOS, not reprints. I don't see any now, but they do come up occasionnally. I do have it, but I have not yet spent any significant time with, so I cannot say how good it is.

Moore was an important part of that trio. Each member was in fact an equal part of the trio. After Cole started singing, reluctantly at first, his popularity grew, as did the trio's. Eventually (and with some help from his entourage), Cole became convinced that his role was more important, and that the other two were more like sidemen and that they should be paid as such. That's when Moore left (after 10 years as part of the trio), to be replaced by Ashby in 1947.

Ashby left the NKC trio in the early 50s to join briefly the Oscar Peterson Trio, the guitar replacing the drums in that combo. Peterson liked the result, and after Ashby left (to become mostly a studio musician), he was replaced by Kessel, and eventually Ellis.

When Ashby left the NKCT to join OP, his replacement was the excellent John Collins, but in all his years with NKC, his role was pretty much to limited rhythm guitar.

Moore was quite recognized during his 10 years part of the NKCT, and he was voted best jazz guitarist in the Downbeat poll for a few of those years. After he left, he played in a R&B group, and he only recorded a handful of jazz albums in the 50s and 60s. Sad, because he was one of the greats IMHO.

In line Ronjazz' suggestion of DeJohnette/Holland/Abercrombie, the ECM label released around the same years a couple excellent albums of the trio composed of guitarist Terje Rypdal, bassist Miroslav Vitous, and drummer Jack DeJohnette.

+1 David's suggestions of Billy Bean/Norris/Gaylor, and also the Giuffre3 (two horns and a guitar, how cooler can it be?).

Another trio to look for could be the album "Something Tender", sax player Bud Freeman with guitarists George Barnes and Carl Kress.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    Oscar Peterson's 1950s trios, with Ray Brown on bass, and Irving Ashby, Barney Kessel, or Herb Ellis on guitar.

Not 50s-70s, but the Nat King Cole Trio with Oscar Moore (followed by Irving Ashby) in the 1940s is the one that influenced the others that followed.
    All great stuff. There's a nice compilation of the OP's historic Carnegie Hall concerts that features Barney Kessel on some tracks and Herb Ellis on others. Great, great stuff. I'm more into Herb, so I prefer those cuts, but Barney was great too.

User Info Menu

thanks so much. i'm going to check these out. happy playing.

User Info Menu

Wes and Jimmy Smth

and

Wes plus Trio - Smokin' at The Half Mote

User Info Menu

And Kenny Burrell with Jimmy Smith

Check out the three "Pollwinners" albums from the 50s-60s: Barney Kessel, Ray Brown, Shelley Manne; called the Pollwinners because each guy won the Downbeat poll on his respective instrument for so many years in a row. The albums are excellent--especially "Exploring the Scene."

+1 on the OP Trio with Ellis--especially Live at the Shakespeare Festival

+1 on the Jimmy Guiffre 3--especially "Travelin' Light" Jim Hall is a treasure.

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone has ever gotten as "big" of a sound as Kessel in the guitar trio format, this one is my favorite.

User Info Menu

Kessel's Gibson ES-350 that he modified with the old cobalt magnet Charlie Christian pickup is probably my favorite sounding jazz guitar of all time.

User Info Menu

I'm partial to The Poll Winners and The Oscar Peterson Trio with Barney Kessel on guitar, but there were many great trios.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Kessel's Gibson ES-350 that he modified with the old cobalt magnet Charlie Christian pickup is probably my favorite sounding jazz guitar of all time.
    Absolutely, the CC pu has not been excelled IMO.

Louis Stewart gets a fantastic tone w/his modified 150 here too.

User Info Menu

I never get tired of this track. Kenny's solo is tasty but the whole thing is spot on.
    There's a transcription of Kenny's solo floating around the Internet....

User Info Menu

Don't forget the Poll Winners! Kessel, Brown, and Manne. Great stuff. Kessel was fantastic

User Info Menu

Gosh...some of my favorite albums of all time. L5 with CC pickup on Midnight Blue? That explains a lot. I have always LOVED that tone. One of my early mentors on guitar played an old non-cut L5 with a CC--it sounded incredible. I had a chance to purchase it a dozen years ago, or so, for $3,000 and balked. I still cannot believe that I passed on what was an incredible memory for me.

Stewart gets great tone from his 30s 150...the cutaway didn't saw off any of the tone.

Exploring the Scene might be my favorite all-time jazz album.
    Last edited by Greentone; 09-02-2014 at 07:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by outatune13
    There are copies of the Oscar Moore books available online here:

Oscar Moore Guitar Solos

Oscar Moore Guitaristics

But I'm not sure what the current situation is with accounts on scribd. You might want to check it out.
    Nat's trio with Oscar Moore or Irving Ashby made some of the most beautiful music ever, in my opinion. Check out their version of "Moonlight In Vermont"

My personal favourite is The Red Norvo Trio with Tal Farlow on guitar and Charles Mingus on bass. They made some incredible recordings together, and were also really popular with the public. Tal's own drummerless trio records with Eddie Costa and Vinnie Burke are really something as well.Really a high point in Jazz guitar history.

User Info Menu

Check out the Triple Scoop/Triple treat albums by Ray Brown, Herb Ellis and Monty Alexander