• Age 80 to 89

3 0.73%
  • Age 90 to 150

2 0.49%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 86

User Info Menu

I was wondering about the age range of our forum members.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Me too, Guy! Thanks for posting this.

I also wish I had a better sense of the breakdown by country / region. Just curious.

User Info Menu

Are we allowed to average our physical age with our mental age?

User Info Menu

150?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Are we allowed to average our physical age with our mental age?
    It wouldn't change much since most adults remain 12-years-old emotionally. ;o)

User Info Menu

My mother in law contends this is a quality limited only to men?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    150?!
    "A Georgian woman claimed to be 132-years-old - making her the world’s oldest human being ever"

We're living longer, so I made a positive, but probably a little too over optimistic guess.

User Info Menu

Interesting post, no surprises to me except that people between the ages of 80 - 150 aren't participating, I would have thought that they liked jazz.

User Info Menu

Interesting post, no surprises to me except that people between the ages of 80 - 150 aren't participating, I would have thought that they liked jazz.
    I know we have a couple members in their 80s, though I see them more on Facebook than here lately.

User Info Menu

Looking at the Poll and the clock the old folks get up earlier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Even younger for guitarists...

User Info Menu

They like jazz they just don't like the poll.

User Info Menu

Sam's bowl of prunes kicked in and still in the bathroom. Lucius is on the phone with Guitar Center ordering another Marshall half-stack for the Senior Center. Miss Mona was up late transcribing some Ornette so she'll post later.

If their still standin' they're Jazzin'

User Info Menu

I voted (and actually told the truth), but I note that I will change categories, next birthday.

It might have been better to list ranges of birth-years, which will never change for the participants.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I voted (and actually told the truth), but I note that I will change categories, next birthday.

It might have been better to list ranges of birth-years, which will never change for the participants.
    That is a nifty idea. It could be broken down by decades, such as 1950-59, 1960-69....

User Info Menu

True - but we can also work backward:

0-9 = 2004-2014
    10-19 = 1994-2004
    20-29 = 1984-1994
    30-39 = 1974-1984
    40-49 = 1964-1974
    50-59 = 1954-1964
    60-69 = 1944-1954
    70-79 = 1934-1944
    80-89 = 1924-1934
    90+ = earlier.

User Info Menu

Online I have multiple birth years, but I'm a conspiracy nut and don't trust the internet. <grin>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I was wondering about the age range of our forum members.
    Need a two part poll chronological age and how you live, mental state.

User Info Menu

From 50 to 80 and above, is this partially do to life expectancy?

And partially due to computer use over those age ranges?

My anecdotal experience has been that the use of computers isn't very high for those born in the 1930s and earlier.
    Last edited by fep; 08-19-2014 at 09:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    From 50 to 80 and above, is this partially do to life expectancy?

And partially due to computer use over those age ranges?

My antidotal experience has been that the use of computers isn't very high for those born in the 1930s and earlier.
    Anecdotal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    Anecdotal?
    I caught that too and couldn't help but think of fep's recent medical history-----in that sense, "antidotal" makes a whole 'nother kind of sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    150?!

What's wrong with that? I certainly feel it at times.

User Info Menu

Bunch of old farts. I don't know what this says about our demographic. Lovers of jazz guitar are few and old.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Bunch of old farts. I don't know what this says about our demographic. Lovers of jazz guitar are few and old.
    Maybe us old farts approaching (in) our twilight have more time to spend on the forum, where as the 20-40 year olds are living life.

User Info Menu

I'm an old fart too. I'm in the largest demographic last I checked.

User Info Menu

Maybe us old farts approaching (in) our twilight have more time to spend on the forum, where as the 20-40 year olds are living life.
    But most people I know between ages 20 and 40 that I know, out there living life, have smartphones with them most all the time and check their favorite sites several times a day.

User Info Menu

In looking at the poll, I'm struck by how few members it indicates we have between 10 and 29.

The reason I say this is that we've seen many threads from young players seeking advice in advance of music school auditions. Also, we see videos of players in that age range. Perhaps there aren't as many of those as I had thought...

User Info Menu

Naw. You're assuming most people here are taking the poll. Only us old geezers are boring enough to take a poll like this.

User Info Menu

The young ones are to busy learning to play fast

User Info Menu

Naw. You're assuming most people here are taking the poll. Only us old geezers are boring enough to take a poll like this.
    You're probably right.

User Info Menu

Wow, I'm old but at least I have lots of company here! The title of this thread made me stop and think about a few of my statistics: my first paying gig was 45 years ago. I'm probably at around 3500 by now and still gig at least 2 times every week. My guitar has not brought me much fame, and no fortune, but I feel like the luckiest person to be able to do this!

Since we don't have a choice, why worry about age. After all this time I still feel like there's an endless amount of stuff to learn on guitar and I'm playing more than ever. With age and experience comes technique, so I can forget about that and just play!

My personal inspiration: the great guitarist Dickie Thompson who played here (Tucson) regularly until the age of 89 and could still make me cry with a ballad and who could still tear it up on a fast one.

User Info Menu

Although I'm probably older than 94% of the poll respondents, I'm still fifteen or more years younger than some of these guys:

So it's all relative

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Good on you Danny,
    The band looks fabulous to me, if you can post some audio
    it would be nice.
    There's an old adage about best tunes being played on............
    long may you all prosper.

kind regards Silverfoxx ( aka Methuselah )

User Info Menu

Amazing. None are taking a nap.

User Info Menu

It's nice to see that there is such diversity in the age of the forum. Given that there are about 30,000 members on this forum it'd be interesting to see what the results would be if everyone voted.

User Info Menu

30k members but it'd also be interesting to see stats on who checks in and how often by age. I'd guess that most of those members hardly ever visit or are dead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rwmol
    Amazing. None are taking a nap.
    They do that after the downbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Good on you Danny,
    The band looks fabulous to me, if you can post some audio
    it would be nice.
    There's an old adage about best tunes being played on............
    long may you all prosper.
    kind regards Silverfoxx ( aka Methuselah )
    Thank you!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    The young ones are to busy learning to play fast
    Lol. Don't they know that's only interesting for about 5 minutes at best?

User Info Menu

My mental age is a palindrome of my chronological age so next year I vote 25.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    My mental age is a palindrome of my chronological age so next year I vote 25.
    I think you mean that it's a *retrograde* or reverse of your chronological age. 52 vs. 25, right?

If you butt them together, you would have a palindrome: 5225 (same thing forward and backward).

User Info Menu

I think you mean that it's a *retrograde* or reverse of your chronological age. 52 vs. 25, right?

If you butt them together, you would have a palindrome: 5225 (same thing forward and backward).
    What did I tell ya? 15 is as 15 does. It is all in the grand old tradition of American malapropisms.

How about 1551? 'Appy now?

User Info Menu

Next year, I'll be 55.

5555 ?

Oh s*#t !

User Info Menu

5555?

Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
    Your legs got nothin' to do
    Some machine's doin' that for you

Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525

User Info Menu

What a wonderful variation we have here. The best guitar/music forum I've ever seen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    5555?

Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
    Your legs got nothin' to do
    Some machine's doin' that for you

Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525
    i remember that song well.

User Info Menu

It appears I'll be shifting from the forum's largest age demographic into the next bracket in a few weeks as I progress into advanced geezerdom.

User Info Menu

30k members but it'd also be interesting to see stats on who checks in and how often by age. I'd guess that most of those members hardly ever visit or are dead.
    If you go the Forum Front Page and scroll to the bottom, you can see who is presently online. The number usually ranges from 625--750. Given that a) the forum is going around the clock, and b) many members are either here only on the weekends (or never on the weekends), it adds up to a lot of different people coming here regularly.

User Info Menu

All very interesting. But come on-199 votes -2155 viewed-35,000 members?

User Info Menu

I just turned 60 but I started playing guitar at 12 and started on Billie Holiday and some New Orleans style when I was about 17. I'd be interested in a wider poll that asked, "How long playing?" "How long playing jazz?" I believe I saw a poll on a rock site once asking how long playing and it was very heavily weighted towards 0-5 years. I'd like to see that poll contrasted with an Age poll. My thesis:

- Jazz players have been playing longer
    - Jazz players are older because they have been playing longer
    - Jazz players start playing guitar at the same age as rock players but stick with it longer. This is the contentious part of my theory. I suggest that, by the time players progress to playing jazz, many/most know they'll ever be rock stars and probably never make a living out of it. They also know that being a jazz player won't impress (most) people so, what are they left with? They play simply because they enjoy it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    I just turned 60 but I started playing guitar at 12 and started on Billie Holiday and some New Orleans style when I was about 17. I'd be interested in a wider poll that asked, "How long playing?" "How long playing jazz?" I believe I saw a poll on a rock site once asking how long playing and it was very heavily weighted towards 0-5 years. I'd like to see that poll contrasted with an Age poll. My thesis:

- Jazz players have been playing longer
    - Jazz players are older because they have been playing longer
    - Jazz players start playing guitar at the same age as rock players but stick with it longer. This is the contentious part of my theory. I suggest that, by the time players progress to playing jazz, many/most know they'll ever be rock stars and probably never make a living out of it. They also know that being a jazz player won't impress (most) people so, what are they left with? They play simply because they enjoy it.
    I think this is spot on. I played punk rock in high school and stopped playing the guitar all-together after the band split, nearly ten years ago. There were times I forgot I even owned a Les Paul, swear. At any rate, I thought I never would have the skills sufficient to demand an instrument as fine as the one I owned. I thought jazz, as much as I loved it, would never be obtainable for me. One day almost a year ago, I can't pinpoint when, I said, "I'm going to learn how to swing... hard."

I know I will never be a rock-star. I play because I simply enjoy it. I make relatively slow progress though because it's difficult for me to find a jam buddy or teacher.

Also, youngsters nowadays can't musically embrace individuality. They just want whatever everyone else is having.