3 0.77%
  • Age 90 to 150

2 0.51%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 77 of 77

User Info Menu

OMG YOU ARE SO OLD!

But it really helps me to understand why many of you are so much better players than I am in here sooo....

Yeah I am 25... Rock age is gone, after this its gonna be a long jazz road... The worst thing what could happen to me now is that I would somehow get inside blues music. After that I would be good as dead.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june View Post
    Next year, I'll be 55.

5555 ?

Oh s*#t !
    Been there, done that - and still wearing the T-shirt!

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexma View Post
    OMG YOU ARE SO OLD!
    Nah!

User Info Menu

It's all in the mind(and attitude).
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

User Info Menu

When people ask me why I like to play jazz, I say you can play it when you're old & still keep your dignity.

User Info Menu

I first picked up a 50 years ago to learn Day Tripper. I've played folk, acoustic blues, rock, folk rock, country, country rock, celtic, a little classical, American songbook standards, swing, gypsy jazz, big band, and jazz. I'm not that amazing in most styles, but I enjoy it.
    Last edited by KirkP; 03-06-2015 at 07:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Interesting question for a Jazz forum.

I read most of the book "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge and although among neuroscientists, which I am not, it may not be the hottest book, it quoted a 90 year old violinist who when asked why he still practises he replied something along the lines of "because it makes me better at the violin". The point of that section of the book being that neuroplasticity exists into old age and the ability to learn remains throughout life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
    Interesting question for a Jazz forum.

I read most of the book "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge and although among neuroscientists, which I am not, it may not be the hottest book, it quoted a 90 year old violinist who when asked why he still practises he replied something along the lines of "because it makes me better at the violin". The point of that section of the book being that neuroplasticity exists into old age and the ability to learn remains throughout life.
    This, I can relate to. I am 85 yrs old at the end of this year and the love of playing jazz guitar never diminishes and I still get great enjoyment in practising or playing everyday good, bad, or indifferent-long may it continue

User Info Menu

I am surprised/disturbed at the low numbers of younger/millennials. You would think they're the techy online people. I suppose we can hope they are practicing their music instead of hanging out here.

User Info Menu

I suspect they're just not that into jazz, unfortunately.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W. View Post
    I suspect they're just not that into jazz, unfortunately.

Danny W.
    I figure they join up but once they realize that we're all "playERS" and not "playAS" they're gone.
    "If you play sweet child 'o mine again...I'm breaking your guitar"

User Info Menu

51 next week.....how the hell did that happen??
    "If you play sweet child 'o mine again...I'm breaking your guitar"

User Info Menu

Ah well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm already in the wrong bracket. We should have done this by birth year, not current age. (One of them never changes.)

User Info Menu

Yep, I'm about to go up a bracket here next b-day.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Interesting that the 10 to 19 and the 70 to 79 groups are almost the same size. (Percentage wise anyway, by absolute numbers the 10 to 19 group must be much larger.)

User Info Menu

My son who is in his mid 20's (a late life child) always called me a 10 year old... WITH THE POWER OF A CHECKBOOK!

My birthday is coming up soon but not enough to change my reply out of the heavily weighted older demographic where I am.

OP, Thanks for a post without a guitar brand name, body style, string thickness, bridge or tailpiece to get members in a huff :-)
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonedeaf View Post
    Interesting that the 10 to 19 and the 70 to 79 groups are almost the same size. (Percentage wise anyway, by absolute numbers the 10 to 19 group must be much larger.)
    The former can't afford a guitar and the latter can't remember where they left theirs.
    Last edited by rob taft; 09-18-2018 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

The number from 10-19 is 12, and the 70-79 group is 15, if you're talking about numbers in this poll. If you're talking about numbers worldwide, I don't have that information at hand, nor do I think it's relevant to this forum. But it's plain to see that there are more members age 70-79 who bothered to take the poll. I'm not sure which group I answered in, because I can't remember when I did it.

FWIW, age distribution can be found here, World Age Distribution, although it's somewhat dated, being as of 2010. Of particular note, the distribution varies widely from region to region. The difference between Africa and Europe is striking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post

The difference between Africa and Europe is striking.

Sure it is, thanks for this note!
    In certain areas of the world, this poll would hardly make sense. Having spent some time in Africa … last year in Zambia the median age was 17.2 years; very slowly increasing. Like the natives the few docs there have soon become fatalists, though they are busy day and night to the grave. Paradoxically, not only at first sight, the average citizens in African communities, even some poorest, seem to be happier than those living in western welfare societies.

User Info Menu

But my maturity level doesn't match my age!

User Info Menu

Subtract one in the 90 - 150 range and add one in the 60-69 range. Stupid iPad!
    Pete Martin - just a mandolin guy but loves jazz guitar
    www.PetimarPress.com
    Www.Jazz-Mandolin.com
    Pete Plays Wes free download
    www.jazz-mandolin.com/PetePlaysWes.xht

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by riovine View Post
    When people ask me why I like to play jazz, I say you can play it when you're old & still keep your dignity.
    hah, an old rock and roll cover drummer friend who loves jazz has been telling me he's dying to work w/ my jazz quartet not only because he digs the music, but after all these yrs he doesn't want to die a cover band rocker. And hardcore excellent blues musician friends tell me the same thing, they'd rather die as an old jazz player than just play the blues, they say they're ready to 'take the next step' this late in their lives, and they're 'bluesed out'
    So maybe all those yrs ago when I started I picked the 'right' genre [if not for financial reasons] and just maybe I'll be semi secure in my musical choices when I die!

User Info Menu

Riovine got it right, when I began , Jazz Tutors were very scarce here
    I had to default to playing in covers bands. Ok but not exciting, when approaching
    40 there was a feeling of lacking dignity .I discovered a well known Jazz Guitarist
    & Trombonist, willing to teach me from scratch. I was in Heaven, feeling comfortable
    with other mature players .
    My Tutor's group consisted of Flugel, Alto. Baritone , Guitar, Bass & Drs ( occasionally keys)
    when I became a little more proficient , I was designated to play solo guitar in their break
    sometimes accompanying , Jazz vocalists .
    Later my Tutor would put me on the spot by walking off the stand telling me to sit in (gulp)
    but he would return shortly and augment by playing trombone. For me these unpaid gigs
    were great experience. Oh and by the way, I got to meet Louis Stewart, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis.
    Martin Taylor etc all of whom friends of my late Tutor and visited his home regularly.None of
    them were in any way condescending, but very nice people and as we know brilliant players.
    Wes Montgomery stayed at the house during his 1965 visit to the UK, unfortunately before
    my time. Apologies for name dropping , but these musicians were inspirational and encouraging
    Sadly some no longer grace us with their presence.

User Info Menu

Who is under ten?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark View Post
    Who is under ten?
    That was me. I thought it was mental age.

User Info Menu

Wow, that's way more senior I thought. The majority (>50%) is over 50, and the qualified majority (> 67%) is over 40 years old.
    I think it is a very good thing this community spreads such a wide spectrum of age from young enthusiastics to seniors