The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Some of you have rarely met an instrument you didn't attempt to fiddle with.

I began with trumpet, flugelhorn...migrating to piano approaching midlife, and 4 years ago began guitar with the mindset, I always wanted to learn and I'm not getting any younger.

So, what else do you play?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play keys, sax, bass, drums, banjo, a little violin, a little trumpet, harmonica.

However, I'm mainly a singer and use guitar and other instruments as tools to write and to accompany my voice. Instrument wise, I'm better on guitar than anything else so it's my "go-to" for playing.

User Info Menu

Just kidding! I played trombone in band, and a leetle piano. I'd like to take up bass guitar, if only for the chance at some more gear!

User Info Menu

Electric bass, dabbled in upright for a year and have a piano that I use for ear training and learning chord voicings.

User Info Menu

You are joking......aren't you?

How much guitar is there to play

Ask me again in a few more lifetimes.

playing piano is certainly no joke...nor is jazz guitar....there's time enuf to play more than one instrument. for some of us the pair are a perfect compliment to one another....and piano complements the study of any other instrument.

who was it that asked Miles Davis about how he discovered those changes, and Miles reply was - 'study piano MF'

User Info Menu

Golf.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Some of you have rarely met an instrument you didn't attempt to fiddle with.

I began with trumpet, flugelhorn...migrating to piano approaching midlife, and 4 years ago began guitar with the mindset, I always wanted to learn and I'm not getting any younger.

So, what else do you play?

Damn nice looking guitar there Greg. I used to have one just like it.

User Info Menu

.......Let's see - - - besides guitar, I play the horses, slots, poker, around, golf, and sometimes the radio.......

.......but I can quit any time I want to, of course.........

User Info Menu

Growing up on the farm, I was introduced to cowbell at an early age.

User Info Menu

That's a decent question.

When I was a senior in high school, thinking I might major in music, I started taking piano and cello lessons. My first love was actually drums. Singing became very important, so I do that too. At some point in my guitar repairing life I was faced with a bunch of student violins to set up, so I learned how to play the fiddle enough to at least test my work. I can kill "Cooley's Reel", "Fishers Hornpipe", "The Road To Lisdenfarne", and a bunch of other Irish. When I say kill, I mean destroy. I mean ruin.

User Info Menu

My day gig is a middle school band director, so I have to be able to play all the brass and woodwind instruments as well as percussion, & I need to know all the fingerings, rudiments, etc. for said instruments. Some instruments you know better than others. As a kid, I started on trumpet and drums, so, I'm most familiar with brass horns. I play all the woodwinds equally poor. Enough to stay a few steps ahead of my kids.
    I get to teach Jazz Band with my students and get to fill in on piano, bass or drums when needed. When my piano players don't show up, I'll play my guitar. I bought a nice Washburn J-5 a few years ago for this group. I've been teaching kids for 28 years and it's still a blast!

User Info Menu

I spent the 70s splitting time between guitar, sax, and flute, but haven't kept them up. I still pull out my flute a couple times a year and keep intending to woodshed as it would work well in what I'm doing these days.
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by rkettner
    My day gig is a middle school band director, so I have to be able to play all the brass and woodwind instruments as well as percussion, & I need to know all the fingerings, rudiments, etc. for said instruments. Some instruments you know better than others. As a kid, I started on trumpet and drums, so, I'm most familiar with brass horns. I play all the woodwinds equally poor. Enough to stay a few steps ahead of my kids.
    I get to teach Jazz Band with my students and get to fill in on piano, bass or drums when needed. When my piano players don't show up, I'll play my guitar. I bought a nice Washburn J-5 a few years ago for this group. I've been teaching kids for 28 years and it's still a blast!
    U remind me of my 7th grade band director Ike Pagett...Ike played nearly ev'thing!

isn't there nothing like playing reeds when you're accustomed to a completely different embouchure. I owned both a Selmer Action 80, Antigua Winds, and Keilwerth SX90R for a while...wished I'd have kept the Keilwerth!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-17-2014 at 08:42 PM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=brad4d8;452536]I spent the 70s splitting time between guitar, sax, and flute, but haven't kept them up.

I still pull out my flute a couple times a year
    TMI.

[QUOTE=Patrick2;452539]
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    I spent the 70s splitting time between guitar, sax, and flute, but haven't kept them up.

TMI.
    uh-boy, talk about a perfect set up!

User Info Menu

Bass and violin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles

Just kidding! I played trombone in band, and a leetle piano. I'd like to take up bass guitar, if only for the chance at some more gear!
    "Ricola .. . . . . ."

User Info Menu

My main thang is pedal steel (jazz and western swing)

User Info Menu

"I still pull out my flute a couple times a year "

...just a couple of times a year????

User Info Menu

Hey wait a minute! Is somebody casting euphemisms around here??

User Info Menu

A little bit of classical piano and songs on the piano. Drums as long as it's not soloing. Bass basics. Singing.

You all know Kurt Rosenwinkel is a killer piano player as well?

User Info Menu

What about this guy for playing more than one instrument?

User Info Menu

Bass (guitar and EUB), working on uke, a little piano, some drums, and sing a little.

Right now however, guitar is as much (probably more) than I can handle.....

Oh, and like Patrick, the golf...always the golf. I once told a music teacher that I was learning jazz guitar but also play golf pretty regularly. "Geez, you like to torture yourself, don't you?", was his response. Two of the most frustrating things in the world to learn. But both at once? Yep, a certain element of madness must have crept in at some point.

User Info Menu

Cello and bass guitar.