Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Ah, where to begin?

Ragtime banjo:

Plectrum banjo:

Cello banjo:

Vihuela:

Baroque lute:

Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 08-18-2014 at 08:51 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Baroque guitar:

Ukulele:

Classical Guitar:

Blues acoustic guitar:

...and a few others

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    My main thang is pedal steel (jazz and western swing)
    I've heard it said that pedal steel players work out arrangements to songs and don't wander from them. Now that was talking about country... Do you improvise choruses in jazz? Chords and all?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I've heard it said that pedal steel players work out arrangements to songs and don't wander from them. Now that was talking about country... Do you improvise choruses in jazz? Chords and all?
    Yes, of course. By the way, pedal steel players are no different from anybody else in this regard. The less accomplished ones (as with standard guitarists) may rely on things they've worked out in advance but the more accomplished ones will improvise heavily, just as would any good jazz musician.

If you have some free time, you might like to peruse a website I manage called "Steel Guitar Jazz" at www.steelguitarjazz.com

User Info Menu

Bass and a little bit of piano

User Info Menu

Started out on Sax and still gig with my tenor. I also play flute and clarinet which, of course, is a common extension of playing the sax. I can play recorder and Irish whistle. )I respectfully submit that Irish whistle is a real instrument and should be recognized as such despite the low price.)

I also do a little mandolin and have fooled around with bluegrass banjo very briefly.

User Info Menu

I'm not at Rob Mackillop's level (who is?), but mandolin, bass, tenor banjo, and baritone uke (the last is tuned like the top four strings of a guitar, so maybe a cheater). I strive to play a mandocello . . . someday.

User Info Menu

Nice work Rob.

User Info Menu

I think most musicians just like to mess around with whatever they can get their hands on. If it makes a sound, I'm in.

User Info Menu

I quite often play the fool like John Lennon.

User Info Menu

I like to noodle on the piano. For some reason noodling on the piano sounds much more musical, to my ears, than noodling on the guitar.