The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Check this shit out. Stumbled across him... was rather astounded, he doesn't look older than 15 as an outside guess. Would be surprised if we don't hear more from him in 3-6 years when he's a little older. Name's Joe Bell.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Um, does his or the band's bio refer to him as a "savant," (which means he has a mental disorder), or are you just being rude?

Tom Harrell publicly discusses his diagnosis of schizophrenia, but calling him a "schizo" would be plain ignorant.

Please consider changing your title.

BTW, the kid is really good.

"sa·vant*Pronunciation:*\sa-ˈvänt, sə-, -ˈväⁿ; sə-ˈvant,*ˈsa-vənt\Function:*nounEtymology: French, from Middle French, from present participle of*savoir*to know, from Latin*sapere*to be wise — Date: 1719

1*:* a person of learning;*especially*:* one with detailed knowledge in some specialized field (as of science or literature)"

Savant SYNDROME is a psychiatric condition. The term "idiot savant" was first used in 1887. The word "savant" predates its association with the condition by more than 150 years, and exists independently as a word suitable for describing anyone with prodigious skill in an intellectual field or pursuit.

User Info Menu

Probably a better word is "prodigy." You can look that up, too.

"Savant" works. He's not an idiot savant, the meaning you're erroneously assigning my use of the word. "Idiot savant" and "savant" have distinct (meaning different) meanings.

The reason I choose not to use the word "prodigy": he's not a 5 year old who has a magical ability to play Mozart after hearing it once. To be a prodigy means to be a child with exceptional talent. This is obviously not just pure talent -- he's improvising original lines here. This is a young adult who's studied for years already and works his ass off all the time. "Savant" fits better than "prodigy", because "savant" acknowledges the work he has obviously done already, not just his blazing talent.

Way to derail a post about a really promising young player...
    Last edited by brightsize; 05-18-2014 at 02:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow!

This kid is scary......Sounds a bit Martinoesque to me.

Confidence and composure to burn...[and that he does]

Let's just celebrate the finding of this young gun.

Go ahead Joe! [geddit?]

User Info Menu

Wow, the future of Jazz guitar is safe in hands like these. Btw, check out young Swan Berger. He's playing the Sel/Mac here (last solo).

User Info Menu

Joe Bell, the young guitar player in the OP video, is scary good.

I think it is unfortunate that this thread took a detour into the discussion of "savant" versus "prodigy" but I think that is over. Brightsize made a good case for his use of that word. Others might prefer a different word but this usage is not wrong. And now let us return to taking delight in such an impressive young player!

User Info Menu

This is why I just call anybody better and younger than me a "m***********r."

Next time I'll just call him ^ ... haha.

User Info Menu

Kid is really good, but the whole band is, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Always the diplomat.

User Info Menu

Wow, I wonder if he gives lessons. That was fun to watch. The whole band is exciting. Makes me wish we had these kind of programs in our schools. Or more of them I should say.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    High brow....Low Brow, don't matter. Mr. B calls 'em like he sees 'em.

User Info Menu

I've seen some Chicago Public School bands as a part of a free concert series here where they have high school groups open for big name acts at park pavilions, etc., and have been completely blown away almost every time. Not every kid is at a super high level, but pretty much every show there will be one kid who is just below professional quality.

Given how much I continue to struggle with the instrument, it's always really astonishing and fun. I've heard a lot of kids playing at the level of the kids in this video. Not a lot of guitar players, but many outstanding sax and piano players.

So cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Wow, the future of Jazz guitar is safe in hands like these. Btw, check out young Swan Berger. He's playing the Sel/Mac here (last solo).

There was another thread where a pole was being taken for "jazz guitarist with the best hair". These three kids tie for first place.

I foolishly thought the player onthe far right, the one with the gypsy jazz guitar, was there only for rhythm/comping. Wow! Was I ever wrong. He struggled a bit with the size of the big body guitar . . . but, he really smoked his improv. VERY melodic! All three were fabulous.

User Info Menu

WOW--That kid can play! I need to take some lessons from him on alternate picking!

User Info Menu

After seeing these young kids blow like that I feel like an idiot savant but without the savant part

User Info Menu

The kid on guitar plays great, but so does everyone else. Tight band.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully there's a bright musical future for him...scholarships included.

User Info Menu

I've attended conventions for music educators, and there are lots of bands featured from all over. I'm always amazed to see what youngsters with focus, guidance and a love for the experience can do. I see some of these high schoolers when they come to the town I live in to study on the college level. At the music school here, I also see an increasing percentage of home schoolers where the arc of their passion and enthusiasm stems uninterrupted from their very youngest days.
    When I teach older students, I can't tell you how much the spectre of expectation and self criticism becomes a major obstacle. I love the spirit in these kids. I'm jealous.
    I'd be curious to know how many of the players in this forum community experience the joy that these budding kids do. Joy is the thing that drives greatness. I do believe that.
    David

User Info Menu

The interesting thing about the OP is that all of those kids are at one school. So you aren't talking about one kid with a passion, but a system that is producing very high level musicians. It would be interesting to know more about that system.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo
    The interesting thing about the OP is that all of those kids are at one school. So you aren't talking about one kid with a passion, but a system that is producing very high level musicians. It would be interesting to know more about that system.
    Big bands have had a history of turning out great individuals. Fletcher Henderson (Coleman Hawkins), Basie, Ellington, Sun Ra, Maria Schneider, Mingus, Gil Evans, to name a few. As a model for real time assimilation of all the essential elements of jazz, they are unrivaled. As an educational platform, integrating harmony, ear training, arrangement, soloing, group dynamics, playing and playing into one activity, what could be more natural?
    I wonder: Why don't the big music schools model their curriculums on working in a big band unit for their four years?
    It's do or die, or more like do and live.
    Just wondering why the obvious doesn't occur to the administrators.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    There was another thread where a pole was being taken for "jazz guitarist with the best hair". These three kids tie for first place.

I foolishly thought the player onthe far right, the one with the gypsy jazz guitar, was there only for rhythm/comping. Wow! Was I ever wrong. He struggled a bit with the size of the big body guitar . . . but, he really smoked his improv. VERY melodic! All three were fabulous.
    yeah the kid on the right is special. Swan Berger. he's all over youtube. as you say, very melodic and mature improv already.

way way ahead of the curve.

Last edited by fumblefingers; 05-25-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I wonder: Why don't the big music schools model their curriculums on working in a big band unit for their four years?
    It's do or die, or more like do and live.
    Just wondering why the obvious doesn't occur to the administrators.

David
    Because modern music typically doesn't happen in big band formats anymore. I agree with your point -- just answering your question. That's why the big band as the core of the program was eliminated in my school. Now it's mostly combos and the big band is additional to that.