The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I have had Barry Galbraith's Fingerboard Workbook, Daily Exercises, Comping, and Improv books sitting in my closet for over 20 years and am only now actually playing them. Back when I was starting college I only wanted to play like the big names and BG's books seemed like it was old stuff that didn't make sense and that I had to buy but even my teachers never really got us in those books. Boy I wish someone had showed me the light earlier. Wow!!! So much Bebop in there! I've decided to begin a serious study of all four books.

My only issue is that I no longer have the recordings of the Improv and Comping book. I have the rights to the recorded music though. I think that means I can borrow the recordings from someone. Would that be a correct assumption?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can get CD's of BG from Aebersold.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately when you call you get an answering machine telling you to leave your credit card info and item #. Problem is the cd alone isn't in the catalog. Hopefully they'll call me back.

User Info Menu

I've been working with some of Barry's material as well. His standards books are great. Wonderful arrangements of great tunes.

User Info Menu

All his books are great,,,I like with Bach too...;-)

User Info Menu

As said above...all his books and teachings are great stuff...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

I love the Galbraith comping book. It's great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    I love the Galbraith comping book. It's great.
    Fantastic book about comping.Exelent voicings.A lot of great comping examples.

ps.
    Very nice CD:
    Johnny Hartman with Barry Galbraith - Voice That Is
    Last edited by kris; 12-28-2013 at 02:30 AM.

User Info Menu

So, what is in each volume? For instance, the first volume is called "Fingerboard Workbook" - what does it involve? I've read that the comping book is the most useful of them all, and I'll probably get a copy, but I'm wondering about the other books.

User Info Menu

The Fingerboard Workbook- a lot of exercises in different keys over major and dom7 chords with great fingerings,II V I examples maj and min,solo over The Things You Are etc...
    Daily Exercises- exercices in the melodic and harmonic minor modes with fingerings
    Guitar Comping-examples of comp/voicings,chords/ with bass lines in treble clef
    Guitar Improv- solos over 10 standards with fingerings
    BACH-the complete Bach two part inventions

GREAT SET!

User Info Menu

Rob,
    the Fingerboard Workbook (Maj/Min scale exercises over twelve frets) and the Daily Exercises(Harm/Melodic minor scale exercises over twelve frets) are books that contain one page exercises in just about every different key. Each exercise is different and is entirely made up of 8th notes. The exercises were originally written as studies for Galbraith's students which one of them turned into a series of books. The two fingerboard books are primarily about fingering but are much more than that. There are great reading exercises and have a plethora of licks in them that can be pulled out and applied. Think of it as application exercises for scale practice. Instead of just running scales you are running scales in a melodic fashion that includes arpeggios etc... Great way to really see possible triad and chord tone applications over a single tonic. Much more than just a daily exercise book.

The. Comping, I am finding out, is an absolute treasure. So much packed into it and no tab to get in the way of reading. He runs through each song twice without repeating any comping forms thus giving you multiple examples of what to play over a single part of a song. The good is that every chord is labeled, but the bad is that every chord is labeled and so it helps to know the song's chords as every substitution chord is labeled and it can be confusing if you are lost in a song. Also, some chords are enharmonic with other chords. They might label a Ab6 voicing as a Cmin7 even though it is being used an Ab6 voicing.

The he imrpov book is full of great solos with lots of bebop lines and all the fingers written in. Nothing over the top. Just great melodic solos that focus on outlining chords melodically.

My entire ire practice routine now is revolving around these four books and I can see it paying off big time. I only wish I had done this earlier. Also, my sight reading is greatly improving as there is no tab in any of the books. As my sight reading improves my ability and speed to play through the exercises improves.

User Info Menu

I worked about few years with these books...very good staff!

User Info Menu

Great...more books to buy Etc!

User Info Menu

Mo' books, mo' problems. I got 99 problems but a Guitar ain't one.

User Info Menu

Anyone out there that has used this book?Chord structuresfor harmonic and melodic minor are not too bad,but having difficulty playing/single line studies is the positions.Help required thanks.