The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 81 of 81

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    I wish my parents had been into Wes Montgomery or Miles Davis instead of Percy Faith and Mitch Miller.
    My pops wouldn't shove things down your throat, but I remember when I first took up guitar and was struggling through some Beatles and Zepplin he came to me and said "If you really want to learn to play that thing, you ought to listen to this cat..." Then he threw "The Wes Montgomery Trio" on the turntable (yes, I'm that old). He didn't really tell me who it was; just had me listen. Changed my life.

But hey, I like some Percy and Mitch too. It's got a melody.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Last year at Chicago's jazz fest, I watched a few thousand people sit quiety riveted by David Sanchez's band featuring Stefon Harris as they played music from "90 Miles" and "Cultural Survival."

Riveted. And if you've heard this stuff...well..it ain't no Michael Buble.

Jazz is fine...it's audience just likes to listen to it instead of jitterbug to it. We all still had a great time, I can guarantee you that.
    I experienced the same thing at the Brad Mehldau Trio performance last night. Phenomenally good music and several standing ovations from a truly appreciative, sold out audience.

I was tempted to jitterbug but somehow contained myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    My pops wouldn't shove things down your throat, but I remember when I first took up guitar and was struggling through some Beatles and Zepplin he came to me and said "If you really want to learn to play that thing, you ought to listen to this cat..." Then he threw "The Wes Montgomery Trio" on the turntable (yes, I'm that old). He didn't really tell me who it was; just had me listen. Changed my life.

But hey, I like some Percy and Mitch too. It's got a melody.
    He was right, ain't it pretty damn cool to be able to do both? Learning Wes made me appreciate the subtleties of Harrison's work, hell they influenced Wes and Benson!

User Info Menu

What is Jazz?

Why do our ears like the fourth, fifth, minor thirds in relation to a starting pitch? Why do our brains catch on to a pretty melody or our emotions stirred when a dissonant change occurs.

Music to me is a metaphor of the universe/life. The above questions can all be answered in a fashion by science/physics- take a length of string, shake it, look for the nodes then extrapolate a twelve note scale (then compromise it for just intonation!) BUT the "why our hearts and minds like it" is more spiritual, not easily answered. Like trying to understand an expanding universe (if that's what it is?)
    Forgive me, I'm having a deep moment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    Forgive me, I'm having a deep moment.
    Yes, that is some deep stuff alright. I kinda get what you're saying though. We all innately know what good music is. It's just the way we were hardwired. Of course, most people today loose this ability due to cultural influences. But it is somethig we all know. One shouldn't worry about explaining why that is. It just is.

What is jazz and why is it no longer popular? Jazz is music that demands the artist to have a deep sense of syncopated rhythm and harmonic concepts that puts the melody on top in the right places. Many people have redefined jazz since its inception as a musical genre, which is cool, but it still must be deeply rooted in the tradition. Jazz is no longer popular, because people are not given a chance to listen to it by those running the music industry. The only way people would enjoy jazz is if all they were able to listen to for a year was jazz. Believe me, most would appreciate it after that.
    Last edited by smokinguit; 05-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

If you cant be deep as an arist, as a musician when can ya? I love deep, and encourage deep. be as deep as deep can be, and don't be ashamed of it! I am very deep.

I actually composed a post for here a while ago and then deleted it, but am inspired to try again. I was trying to explain something hard to explain. I was brought up listening to --not ALL jazz--but my mum loved Ella, and Sarah, and we had Stan Getz, and she loved the old swing bands, etc etc. My uncle--her brother was a jazz musician and played saxaphone, but he wasn't that up on modern jazz--even though he had a lot of records--cause he said it was too ego. We had a bit of an argue about it years ago. He was set in his ways. Now he has dementia bless him

So, yeah. Now in THIS phase of picking up the guitar again and looking deeper into jazzchords a dawning has come over me big time. it is how subtle these voicings are, and how they communicate very deep subtle states of feeling. This 'awakening' inspires me to keep on with it--in my own way